Author Topic: Identifying potential gaps  (Read 6308 times)

Paul_Sengupta

Identifying potential gaps
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:26:22 am »
There was a bit of a discussion the Flyer forums about potential holes in the coverage of OGN-R. I'm starting this thread so that people who have visually seen collections of gliders which they suspect were Flarm equipped, but did not see them on their traffic display, can post their findings here. This way it may be possible to identify either a) if an existing station isn't working, or b) whether it's possible that people here will have contacts with those in a certain area or on a certain airfield where an extra OGN-R station can be established.

So far the area around Lasham has been mentioned and also Banbury.

So please post your findings.

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Identifying potential gaps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:41:13 am »
Banbury should be well covered by several stations!

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:28:34 am »
Hi Paul,

I went onto here
http://ognrange.onglide.com/#PWEGBT,max,lastweek,52.0395_-1.105,9,#00990000:#009900ff,circles;

and selected PWEGBT and PWUKEDG over 7 days - seem to have coverage

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:47:59 am »
There is a possibility that the FLARM, if fitted, was in 'Stealth mode', which is used in competitions.
I put my FLARM Mouse in Stealth Mode and OGN-R cannot see it at any range. Tried to get my head around how this mode works (or should). I thought it was the receiver that was blocking the data, therefore OGN-R should be able to recieve what was transmitted.

Since I have Thame OGN-R back up and running now, I could try some more tests.

3.1.7 PRIV
Description:
Stealth mode. Instructs all receiving FLARM devices that the received data must not be made accessible in real-time full precision, except for the purpose of collision warning. Real-time is understood to be within less than 10 minutes. With the option set, not all information is forwarded to connected displays to prevent abuse in competitions. An activated stealth mode results in PFLAA sentences not carrying specific climb and cruise data while some random noise is applied to altitude data. It is recommended NOT to activate stealth mode! To apply full reciprocity, a pilot who enables stealth mode will only get information as if all other aircraft had enabled stealth mode, independent of their actual setting.

Also found this report from 2015 on Stealth Mode trials.  https://members.gliding.co.uk/2015/07/07/competition-rule-book-amendment-flarm-stealth-mode/

And this page may also be relevent
http://wiki.glidernet.org/opt-in-opt-out
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:54:46 am by Ian Melville »

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:11 pm »
Paul et Al

I will be updating the antennas at Wellesbourne, Edgehill and Bidford for a little project we are doing in the Midlands so lets see if this improves the range and coverage. Anyone who has a new site that they want doing please let me know we will give a free bridge to help with the costs. I will also muster all the bits make up the cables and configure the software to help. ogn@pilotAware.com

Keith

PeterG

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:23 am »
Could I reinforce this.

On Sunday I was flying to the SW passing Wycombe. My Rosetta alerted me to around 8-10 gliders (the number varied) just as I was north abeam Wycombe. The audio became quite annoying as it was pretty much constant, but I was glad of the indications.

As I passed the Chinnor ridge there were still many gliders visible, though they were appearing then vanishing until, by Benson MATZ they weren't visible on PAW at all, even though they'd been there a minute or so before and close to my track.

There is a definite need for a station somewhere near Benson to pick up the contacts for Wycombe craft west of the ridge.

BTW, I only saw one glider so well done Rosetta.

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 10:57:55 am »
There is a definite need for a station somewhere near Benson to pick up the contacts for Wycombe craft west of the ridge.

I am sure Keith will correct me, but I think we have one lined up for Benson ?
Thx
Lee

Seanhump

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 01:26:20 pm »
Not sure if there's anyone on here from Camphill (up in the Peak District) … one there would be handy as it's a popular spot for Gliders and GA traffic sight seeing round Chatsworth, High Peak etc and the Dams …

Cheers
Pilotaware user ...

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:24 pm »

I am sure Keith will correct me, but I think we have one lined up for Benson ?
Thx
Lee

There is my station at Thame. It currently has only temporary antennas, so range is a bit limited. I was under the impression that I was reaching the Chinnor ridge if not beyond.

I have also had large groups of gliders just 'disappear', on Sunday as well. 8-10 over Abingdon, as we got closer the all vanished in short order. Need to check the log for that to be more factual.

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:09:07 pm »
Hmmm, I logged 77 different Glider ID's over Abingdon in Sunday 22nd (which created 3125 lines records of received positions). PWRADLEY/RADLEY was up and transmitting so it should have been relaying the OGN data in that area as it is receiving out to at least Benson.
Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 06:14:45 am »
Lee-on-Solent

Portsmouth Naval Gliding Centre has now closed. Looks as if their OGN-R station has been off line since 20th May. Wonder is it's possible to get the kit transfrered to the tower at Lee? This area now has a blind spot.

Ian Melville

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 06:16:29 am »
Lee-on-Solent

Portsmouth Naval Gliding Centre has now closed. Looks as if their OGN-R station has been off line since 20th May. Wonder is it's possible to get the kit transfrered to the tower at Lee and upgraded to OGN-R? This area now has a blind spot.

Keithvinning

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 11:02:33 pm »
Lee-on-Solent

Portsmouth Naval Gliding Centre has now closed. Looks as if their OGN-R station has been off line since 20th May. Wonder is it's possible to get the kit transfrered to the tower at Lee? This area now has a blind spot.

Hi Ian. We have never had an an OGN-R at Lee on Solent. I guess it was just an OGN station. We will of course provide the bridge for free if anyone want to move it. Too far for me to go from the Midlands

Keith