Author Topic: Calling Antenna Guru's .....  (Read 3362 times)

RichardAinley

Calling Antenna Guru's .....
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:33:05 pm »
Just wondered if any of you have built anything different than the collinear antennae.  As you probably know the higher the gain the lower the radiation angle so unless the antenna is really high its not much use for airborne signals.  With that being said a dipole offers little to no gain so whats the ideal solution, a cloverleaf with RX pre-amp or ???? or an array of stacked dipoles?

Rich

Winged_Jaguar

Re: Calling Antenna Guru's .....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:03:47 pm »
Guru's pushing it (a lot)!

Here is a picture of one I built which is an adaptation blending a couple of designs including one from 'martybugs'. It is a colinear but not the coax variety.

The sections are tuned lengths (from the base)  1/2 lambda; 3/4 lambda and slightly less than 3/4 lambda. The 360 degree coils are quarter lambda long. The tube is 6mm brass and the coils 5mm copper which is a snug fit brazed into the tube. The ground plane reflectors are 1/4 lambda. These are all attached to a 'N' chassis connector (which was then encased for external mounting).

It seems to work very well however I have not been able to fine tune it as I do not have access to any relevant test equipment. The options are to alter the section lengths (in particular the top section to adjust capacitance) and also the angle of the ground plane to the horizontal which impacts the impedance.

There is also a 1/4 lambda sleeve balun below the aerial attached to the cable sheath aiming to prevent reflections and the coax radiating if using it for Tx.

The aerial is claimed to have a gain of just 5db which should improve horizontal effectiveness at roof level. It seems to be receiving very well.

I'd welcome any constructive comments and tuning advice from the real gurus.

Chris   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:28:31 pm by Winged_Jaguar »

mmcp42

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:16:52 pm »
that's not an antenna - that's art!

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:37:26 pm »
I am next going to try and scale the Quadrifilar Helical Antenna that I successfully built for picking up the NOAA Polar Orbiting weather satellites (~135MHz). It appears several people have tried this for 2.4GHz so this should be interesting if a little challenging to make for OGNPAW. These are very pretty :-) I have no idea how well it will perform but the big advantage of the QFH is the ability to receive the signal clearly from a moving target from one horizon to the other - which is more of less exactly the same requirement we have here. If anyone has a working design for OGN I'd be happy to see it.

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »
I am next going to try and scale the Quadrifilar Helical Antenna that I successfully built for picking up the NOAA Polar Orbiting weather satellites (~135MHz). It appears several people have tried this for 2.4GHz so this should be interesting if a little challenging to make for OGNPAW. These are very pretty :-) I have no idea how well it will perform but the big advantage of the QFH is the ability to receive the signal clearly from a moving target from one horizon to the other - which is more of less exactly the same requirement we have here. If anyone has a working design for OGN I'd be happy to see it.

Intersting, I think if I tried it I'd end up with something like this...

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:50:03 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about looking upwards. An aircraft with a large vertical component will be quite close to you and thus the signal strength quite large, compensating for the loss of gain in the antenna. Imagine an aeroplane 5 miles away, 3000ft up. 5 (statute) miles is 26400 ft, so imagine the angle subtended by a triangle 26400ft across by 3000ft up. My school level trigonometry tells me that's about 6.5 degrees from the horizontal.

The further away the aeroplane gets, the more gain you'll need, and the lower angle you'll want to be receiving it.

This is why a colinear works well.

Gain is a concept where you reduce the radiation pattern from one area and add it to another. You don't get anything for free. A half wave dipole has a doughnut sort of radiation pattern. As you start adding on elements, you squash the doughnut. Normally a colinear is end fed, so you basically start with a J-pole - a half wave antenna with a quarter wave matching stub at the bottom. This in itself has a more squashed (and slightly offset) doughnut, but then you start adding on extra half wave sections to the top, with a half wave "hiding" section in between to "hide" the out of phase signal. The more half wave elements you add, the more you squash the doughnut.

Let us know how the QFH compares with a good colinear!  :D