Author Topic: Have I missed something ? A general query on Classic PAW's configuration .  (Read 2202 times)

Aryankids

Hello All,

Our syndicate installed a classic PAW early this year and everybody enjoys the fascinations of such a small unit.

However, a pattern on PAW’s behaviour draws everyones attention where PAW misses to spot the ACs that are in close range. For instance, the other day, was flying by the ultra-busy Duxford and PAW was spot on to identify a few traffics miles away before I was visual with them. However, on the way back to my base, on two different occasions, I spotted two aircrafts (both single engine) in close range (2 to 4 nm) during my visual check pattern but none of them reported by PAW. FYI, all of us were flying in VFR.

I know there are many reasons as why PAW failed to spot them, e.g. they might have switched off their mode C/S transmitter as we were flying in an uncontrolled airspace, but the general question I have is: Have I missed something, somewhere? e.g. configuration or something.

We all know PAW is not a radar and certainly should not be treated like one, but was wondering how come it can spot VERY hard to see aircrafts from miles away but cannot see the one that I can see through my window?! Any suggestions like configuration,  hardware improvement etc.

Your help and supports are appreciated in advance.

Thanks
Amir

Keithvinning

Unfortunately lots of pilots either dont turn Alt on when they turn their transponder on either because they don't know they have to or on purpose. This is common. Without ALT enable the will not respond to primary radar with altitude. You will not pick these up. hence you will not see them even as a bearing less target on PilotAware. Cant do much about this.

Are you doing something Wrong?

Have you got bearing less targets enabled on your navigation aid ie Sky Demon.
Have you selected detect Mode C/S. On pilotaware. If so not much else you can do.

The CAA and EASA are concerned that people don't turn their transponders on so since last year it is now Mandatory ie THE LAW to turn them on if you have a serviceable transponder installed.

Its education and low cost EC that will help win the day.