Author Topic: Traffic uploaded  (Read 5829 times)

Ian Melville

Traffic uploaded
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:11:27 pm »
I had an interesting flight on the 23rd June. I was Pax so could spend some time monitoring the PAW. In particular I was interested in how the Enstone OGN-R ground station performed. There was a contact immedialy after take off that stood out. I am not sure if the display is right or wrong?
I was alerted to a bearingless target with a G flag (see first attachment), which I though odd as all uploads shoud have a position. I spotted the aircraft passing behind up and it was an Augusta A109, not a glider. First suspision was that his mode S was not programmed correctly, so took a screen shot of the traffic page (second attachment). In post flight analysis you can see that there were a number of other aircraft including this one, that the call sign is just 'G'. They have no distance, so mode C/S, yet have PilotAware P flag!
Before Lee asks for it, the log file is here  :o https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvecicih0zdo476/2018-06-23_09-09.trk?dl=0

Are these retransmitted OGN-R traffic or has something gone awre?

Oh, P1, who had been interested in a practical demo of PAW, ordered a Rosetta that night  :)

exfirepro

Re: Traffic uploaded
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:29:22 pm »
Something very strange going on there Ian  :-\

No sign of Enstone G/Stn on the Ground either.

I take it these were live screenshots taken at the time - not from track replay later ? Hopefully Lee can make some sense of this from the log.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:15:33 pm »
I have a suspicion it has s an aircraft fitted with flarm and mode S
Will feedback later
Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 11:34:38 pm »
I hadn't spotted the lack of ground station. Was it getting the signal from another OGN-R station?

Top of the table is attached and no G/S there either.

Looking at the log, the first OGN-R ground station I see is B07D21!G/STN and this remains in every PFLAA group intil 92705 (10:27 Local) when it vanishes, I don't see any ground stations after that! I should have.

Route was Enstone - Malvern - Welshpool.

Now tottaly confused as the wrongly reported gilder(G) continue even when there is no OGN-R service available?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:38:49 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 11:38:08 pm »
Ian,

Ground Station could have been below your altitude filter range.

Screenshot not showing properly at my end BTW.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:40:02 pm »
Filter was +- 2000, so should show. Filtered stations also should show in table with grey background?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:28:19 am »
Hi Ian,

So the aircraft in question is the following G-WDCL
It was first received as a Mode-S, and would have displayed as G-WDCL

Then it seems to have reported receiving a PilotAware transmission, and its reg changed to 'G' as you point out
The only intended way to get a G registration is via an uplink from OGN-R

I would need to check my code, but that registration may then have stuck - this is actually intentional, but seems a strange scenario in this case because no more uplink reports are received, but Mode-S is received.

Would be interesting to know from the owner if they do have FLARM on-board

By the way, I have added an additional FLAG to the $PAWRT statements to indicate U(uplink)
so now
C(ModeC)
S(ModeS)
A(ADS-B)
P(PilotAware)
F(FLARM)
U(Uplink)

This allows us to distinguish whether the PilotAware transmission was received from PilotAware(U=0) or OGN-R(U=1)

Thx
Lee

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:32:26 am by Admin »

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:47:07 pm »
That doesn't realy explain the other aircraft Lee, they cannot all have PAW or FLARM

I also question why no further OGN-R signals were recieved, yet was in range of several stations during the flight.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:48:43 pm by Ian Melville »

Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:15:24 pm »
yep, agree, something strange happening that a bunch of aircraft I think are flagged as PilotAware but Mode S
I will have a look to see if anything could have flipped this mode bit

Thx
Lee

SGS66

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 05:41:08 pm »
A few days ago I flew past Bembridge Mar 18  at 1101 hrs and had a GPS contact nearby which subsequently showed as #undef# B when I played back the trk data using AIRCREW. Have I got  the old PilotAware software as B code is not used now?

I purchased Rosetta  about a month ago and I am fairly sure I have lastest software. The Quick Start Guide was dated December 2018. I can report back on software date after visiting the aircraft. Any thoughts in the meantime?

Sorry if this is not the place to post this particular question, but there is info on the Code definitions above

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:13:46 pm »
SGS66,

Apart from a small ‘Test Team’ running newer software, the latest ‘Public Release’ (which is in all new units sold) is still Version 20180520, which dates from May last year.

#undef# would normally indicate that the aircraft in question was running a PilotAware with an incorrectly configured Hex ID, though this could be one of a very small group of test aircraft which are deliberately running a ‘discrete’ HexID in PilotAware for specific testing.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 07:52:43 am »
Undef, indicates a FlightID not set

SGS66

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but did the conspicuity code 'B' come from the other aircraft which presumably therefore has out of date software?

Phil