Author Topic: OGN Status  (Read 2855 times)

Ian Melville

OGN Status
« on: July 04, 2018, 05:07:42 pm »
I have seen messages in the past that the OGN network is not funtioning as people would expect. There have also been doubts of it's long term future which concerns me a bit.

This week I registered with their Google Group and Wiki so that I could add my two stations and I have not exactly been impressed with the state of things. Now today it would seem that most stations are 'off air', including my own, when they seem to be very much alive. Having received an email on the 2nd of July that the servers were overloaded and two more were brought on line, I though things would improve.

The question I have is whether the OGN-R stations hear the FLARM traffic and re-broadcast to PAW equiped aircraft in range regardless of what is happening with their network and servers? Tracking on the inertnet is a bonus and not the reason why OGN-R was set up.

exfirepro

Re: OGN Status
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:49:50 pm »
Ian,

The OGN servers have been 'down / offline' several times over the past year that I have been involved with OGN-R - with stations regularly showing on Onglide Range as 'Down' (Red), yet I know from personal experience that mine has often still been working as expected during these periods when it was reported as 'down'. I can't be sure of course that this is always the case though.

I think a big part of the problem is the fact that the OGN is an open source community project run by a group of volunteers, with most of the work - as is often the case - left to a few willing horses. I know from personal correspondence that the 'lead' software guys - including Sebastian Chaumontet, et al have been working very hard in the background to improve the system reliability.

Regards

Peter

Admin

Re: OGN Status
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:14:22 pm »
The servers are overloaded, I know they have added another server
This should have no effect on our usage, we only use locally captured data
Not network data
Thx
Lee