Author Topic: GPS drop outs since Rosetta upgrade  (Read 8983 times)

AllanBirt

GPS drop outs since Rosetta upgrade
« on: July 01, 2018, 09:30:15 pm »
Evening All

Has anyone experienced GPS drop outs since upgrading a Classic to a Rosetta. All was ok before the upgrade, I have attached some screenshots so hopefully it can be resolved.

I was getting these drop outs to and from Fenland today.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:35:42 pm by AllanBirt »

Admin

Re: GPS drop outs since Rosetta upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:06:33 pm »
Hi Alan

Can I get the track for your flight and a home page screenshot
Is this a pi 2 or 3

Thx
Lee

AllanBirt

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:29:23 am »
Morning Lee

This is a PI 3, same one used in the classic, before the upgrade. I’ll be popping up the airfield later and I’ll download all the data and drop ya an email.

Allan
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:33:34 am by AllanBirt »

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:59:56 am »
Hi Allan
Great.
I notice 2 WiFi devices connected.
Can I ask what type of devices, and what are they running ?

thx
Lee

AllanBirt

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 04:28:14 pm »
Hi Lee

The two devices connected were my iPad mini 4 running Skydemon & iphone 8, just paired for a backup. Both running the latest ios 11.4.

I have also just dropped you an email with the two track files from yesterday flight to Fenland.

Allan

Mike Evans

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 09:01:55 am »
Having used my classic extensively for last three years, achieving 350 hours with it on SD. The only issue I had was drop out of satellites  at Fenland, pilotaware would not function. Had to switch over to galaxy tab2 internal gps to get navigation back on line. NOTAMS did indicate fast jet exercises  nearby.. Why would paw gps drop out and tablet gps work, latest software  updates on all items.
Now completely changed to Rosetta unit, no issues but only 20 hours on it. But impressed with what it detects especially gliders, now able to re route flights to avoid the masses.

Mike Evans

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 03:28:28 pm »
Sods law, what was a reliable connection my new Rosetta lost gps fix, however using same mouse antenna, will change out to see if this improves.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 07:51:56 pm »
Interesting we have had a few reports on Android
The issue has been the ‘battery saver option’ being enabled
Please check and report back
Thx
Lee

Mike Evans

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 10:08:22 am »
Checked my settings in Samsung Galaxy tab2, nothing found that would switch off wifi on battery saving mode.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 03:18:12 pm »
Checked my settings in Samsung Galaxy tab2, nothing found that would switch off wifi on battery saving mode.

Hi Mike

are you saying you think 'Battery Save Mode' does not affect WiFi ?

or are you saying, your tab does not have the option of 'Battery Save Mode'

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 04:57:20 pm »
https://www.technobezz.com/android-wont-connect-to-wi-fi/

Solution 4: The Power Saving Mode

The power saving mode is meant to help your battery consume less power. Since the Wi-Fi is known to drain the battery quickly, when you switch on the Power Saving mode, it usually disconnects your Wi-Fi. Make sure Power Saving Mode is Off. You can Access Power Saving Mode from the Settings menu of your Samsung Galaxy phone.

Many Samsung Galaxy S3 users had reported an issue that the Samsung Galaxy won’t connect to Wi-Fi disabled saying it was because of poor connection. It was found that when the phone returned from sleep mode, the power saving mode interfered with the Wi-Fi and it somehow interrupted the connection. The problem was in the software so users had to ensure that Power Saving Mode was switched Off if they wanted to use a stable Wi-Fi connection.

Check if the Power Saving Mode is creating a conflict in your phone so that you can fix the Wi-Fi problem on your Samsung Galaxy device or any other Android device.

dansmusic

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:03:10 pm »
Hello all

FYI:  I recently upgraded to Rosetta... I had no dropouts from the classic unit and test flew the Rosetta on Sunday, I got several dropouts when doing any slightly aggressive manoeuvres while practicing my display routine.

Same position with good power supply.

Dan
G-MUSO

mariko

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »
Hello all

FYI:  I recently upgraded to Rosetta... I had no dropouts from the classic unit and test flew the Rosetta on Sunday, I got several dropouts when doing any slightly aggressive manoeuvres while practicing my display routine.

Dan
G-MUSO
Maybe you can try to use an external USB GPS receiver, placed in a position where it will be better exposed to the sky.
Ciao
  Mariko

dansmusic

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:35 pm »

Hi
Thanks for the feedback, but the point is it didnt happen at all with the pilotaware classic.

Dan

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 09:14:51 am »
Hello all

Dan
G-MUSO

Hi Dan,

Difficult to guess what is going on without knowing your exact setup (position and orientation of unit, etc.- nice plane BTW!)

Rosetta uses a newer style of GPS dongle from the ‘Classic’, with a bigger ceramic antenna, designed to pick up more satellites and thus be more reliable. The electronics are also now contained in a metal shield on the underside of the board, which is great in terms of protecting the GPS from RFI, but means that the antenna will be more susceptible to shielding when the unit is ‘upside down’ - e.g. when performing Aeros. We have already experienced this problem where users have inadvertently fitted their Rosetta ‘upside down’ in their aircraft.

Having said all that, I seem to remember a couple of reports of the gps dongle coming loose in its socket, so it would be worth checking that it’s a tight fit - especially if subjecting the unit to any sort of ‘aggressive’ flying.

Please keep us informed.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:33:52 am by exfirepro »