Author Topic: Hypothetical question  (Read 5344 times)

grahambaker

Hypothetical question
« on: June 26, 2018, 01:31:20 pm »
I'm shortly to move house. The new place is effectively sitting on a ridge, which although only at c.400' amsl has a reasonably unobstructed line of sight in all directions from the top of the chimney. It's within a few nm of Welshpool airport, and will have a broadband connection of about 7mbps

What would be required to set up an OGN-R station? I'm reasonably technically minded, but I have no desire whatsoever to become a Linux expert, nor spend an inordinate amount of time and money on antennae, cabling etc. particularly as Mrs GB will have plenty of other little projects lined up placing priority demand on those limited resources.

Is there a single place I can look to give me an OGN-R primer?

exfirepro

Re: Hypothetical question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:48:27 pm »
Hi Graham,

At its basic level it's a fairly simple install, very similar to a PilotAware, but with a different (more accurate) SDR dongle and improved antennas. In fact it makes an excellent use for an older PilotAware if you decide to upgrade to Rosetta.

Lots of info on OGN-R here...  http://www.pilotaware.com/ogn/  - including Keith's 'New Installation' document at ... http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/Building-an-OGN-PAW-Uplink-1.pdf

I'm no Linux geek, but managed to set mine up from scratch up here in Edinburgh (not a particularly good gliding area) and it has been running for over a year now. See the UK coverage map here... http://flarmrange.onglide.com/?#PW%,max,all,52.298992_-1.696101,8,#00990000:#009900ff,circles;

My station is Balerno / PWBalerno (each station has an OGN name - which you set and an automatically linked 'PW' name), so you can see the individual coverage areas on the OGN screen. My coverage isn't great at present as my antennas are still in my roofspace. I am working on moving them outside, but need to build up a few more brownie points with 'her indoors' first.

Since I set mine up, Lee has now automated most of the process, so it's much easier. Plenty of advice and assistance is also available on here if you need it. Drop Keith an e-mail at ogn@pilotaware.com He should be able to sort you out with the necessary bits and pieces.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:51:53 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 04:14:59 pm »
I'd be checking the underpinning on the house if it's really close to the ridge and seeing how that might affect insurance premiums  ;D

Good question, by the way and one I was thinking about for when I eventually move back to the UK (although the Isle Of Wight might not fit the geological description).

grahambaker

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:10:00 pm »
Thanks Peter, that's very helpful and gives me a good idea of what's involved.

Once I get access to the new home, I'll be able to assess viability as regards location of router, antennae location etc.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:50:39 pm »
No problem Graham,

Keep in touch.

Best Regards

Peter

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:36:55 pm »
Could be an excellent location Graham and add to EC in that part of Wales

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 10:33:44 am »
Graham

It will be a brilliant location. We hope to get one at Sleap, we have one at the Myndd so yes yes please. I will give any help I can.
Also John Mac has one up the road a Foel.

Thanks for your help

Keith

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 10:36:07 am »
Good question, by the way and one I was thinking about for when I eventually move back to the UK (although the Isle Of Wight might not fit the geological description).

Paul again Yes please The IOW is a popular destination ad we need a couple there. There is Gliding at Bembridge and Gliders do accept the challenge to get to the IOW and of course there is Power FLARM.

So again Yes please. When are you back to play with the Eurofox??

SGS66

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »
I was flying past Bembridge today and my Radar display showed GS-OGN1 but the site seems to be referred to as PWEGHJ on the map showing transmitting Glider Stations. Can I have an explanation please?

Deker

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:01:18 pm »

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 08:20:25 am »
I was flying past Bembridge today and my Radar display showed GS-OGN1 but the site seems to be referred to as PWEGHJ on the map showing transmitting Glider Stations. Can I have an explanation please?

The ‘GS-OGN1’ on your PAW Radar display is simply an indicator that you have one Ground Rebroadcast Station within range.

As reported by Deker above, there is now a new PilotAware OGN-R Rebroadcast Station sited on Bembridge Airfield. The Ground Station itself is denoted on your PAW Radar Display by an antenna mast symbol with relative altitude, but no callsign label is shown on the radar display.

On tablet navigation systems Ground Stations are shown as G/STN and marked as an antenna mast on EasyVFR, but (unfortunately) indicated by an aircraft symbol on SkyDemon (though again indicated by the relative altitude as being ‘on the ground’). (We have tried to get SD to show ground stations as Antenna Masts, but for their own reasons, SD refuse to do so).

EGHJ is the standard ICAO code for Bembridge Airfield, which has therefore been used as the Ground Station Identifier - in accordance with the OGN standard site-naming convention. This is therefore it’s identifier on the OGN network. PilotAware adds the prefix ‘PW’ to the Rebroadcast side of the station, which is then shown on sites such as ‘Glidertracker’ as PWEGHJ.

Hope this helps explain what you are seeing.

Best Regards

Peter

Positiv

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 09:30:55 am »
Hello,
next SkyMap update.
SkyMap show ground stations as ground stations, Not Airplane  :D

SGS66

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 12:29:53 pm »
Peter,

Thanks for the helpful explanation.

I am SkyDemon user since it became available but I have only recently bought PilotAware so I have some catching up to do.

Integrating PW information into my cockpit mental attitude will no doubt take some time, but having a separate PW radar display running all the time is something I am considering.

brgds Phil

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 11:51:58 pm »
Hi Phil,

You are most welcome. I have also been an SD user since way back and a PilotAware User and part of the Development Team since 2015 (a scary thought!), so happy to help with any queries.

Fly safe.

Best Regards

Peter