Author Topic: Ground Station display  (Read 8477 times)

jp62

Ground Station display
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:20:31 pm »
Further to my email exchange with Lee...

The display of groundstations as threats is distracting and counterproductive for a conspicuity aid.   Although, on closer inspection, you can see that they are ground stations, they appear as aircraft on Skydemon.

Lee was concerned that some users might want ground stations displayed.  Are there any such votes?  For me, I only want threats displayed.  Any other displayed symbols that are nugatory or distracting is a significant negative.

Can we please give Lee feedback?  Who wants ground stations displayed?

I vote no!

Justin

PS what even are these ground stations, Lee?  This is not the same as the OGN-R stations I assume!

Keithvinning

Re: Ground Station display
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:15 pm »
The majority will be OGN-R stations but there are several others where clubs use them as location beacons for remote sites.

Keith

jp62

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 12:37:06 am »
Unless we get some votes to retain, them, please remove them from the display then.  If we get votes to retain, please make them configurable display/remove!

They are a significant distraction and a negative influence on SA if the airspace is busy with traffic.

IMHO!

JP

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:21:18 am »
If it is possible to not show the ground stations then I would prefer not to see them; instead seeing only 'threats' and reducing clutter on a fairly packed iPad Mini screen.

However, is it possible to remove them? I believe they are, for the most part, basically PAW units and, as such, are seen by the receiving PAW as another PAW. How can you filter out ground station PAWs? Of course, they might have a special 'ground' signal, in which case I would have thought it would be quite easy for the boffins around these parts  ;)

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:13:27 am »
Quite easy to filter. They are all called G/S, so filter that  :)

If you set you traffic filters to figure lower than you cruise, you won't see them for most of the flight anyway. I find lots of PAW users have the filters too open, as if they like being bombarded by traffic alerts  ;)

They are an indicator that you are in range, and will receive glider alerts. I don't have an issue with them, even on an iPad mini. Perhaps there are other ways this can be indicated, but I cannot think of any without the support of all the nav software providers.

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:32:52 am »
Perhaps there are other ways this can be indicated, but I cannot think of any without the support of all the nav software providers.

Yes, I thought that might be the case of it not being a simple fix, hence my "if it is possible" comment.

Because I am, unfortunately, still just a PAW lurker I haven't looked at the filters available. Is there a G/S filter or is that something that would need to be added? If it's already there, then case closed but if it's not then it would be an elegant solution.

Mind you, priority for this is obviously lower than Bluetooth audio  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:19:11 am »
I like seeing the ground stations!

But I do support an option for switching the display of them off.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 10:01:27 am »
The ground stations will 'mostly' be of the OGN-R variety
in FLARM speak these are defined as a STATIC OBJECT

At the moment we have astrange situation whereby filters are applied in 2 places, this is not a great idea to be honest.

If we consider a hose pipe with PilotAware supplying data at the source, and the navigation device (sprinkler) is at the destination, should PilotAware choses what it sends to the navigation device, or should the navigation device choose what it does with the data ?

We have been undergoing a 'feature creep' exercise, whereby more of the filtering is being done at the PilotAware data supply, rather than at the other end of the receiver

A good example of this is the Horizontal/Vertical separation filter
This filter now exists in PilotAware (to serve SkyMap and some other systems without these filters), but EasyVFR and SkyDemon have similar filters for restricting display of targets within X ft horizontal

This is undesirable, because it becomes unclear as to where throughout the pipeline of data, the filters are applied.

So in the case of ground-stations, or static objects of any kind (we have had proposals for Glider Winch etc)
should we restrict the data supplied at the source (PilotAware), or filter the data at the destination (Nav device).

I am reluctant to add more switches wherever possible, one of the criticisms I hear from many non-tech users, is how confusing it is to configure appropriately.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:44:17 am by Admin »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:12:15 am »
I don’t mind seeing them ( quite like them actually ) but would prefer not to receive an audible threat alert from them, so if this could be filtered from the audio it would be a great help. Visually, they show up as a sort of Tower symbol in EasyVFR, that I use. If Sky Demon depicts them as an aircraft symbol I think I should find that disconcerting!

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:38:17 am »
Ditto from me on visual but not audible.

It is extremely useful to ‘see’ the Ground Stations as it lets you know they are there and gives reassurance that you will receive any data they are transmitting, but audio alerts from them should be a definite NO and this probably needs to be filtered at our end.

I also feel that the symbol should display as an ‘Antenna’ not an ‘Aircraft’. If EasyVFR is set up to display Ground Stations as ‘Antenna Masts’ this is obviously a Nav System issue and should therefore (presumably) be referred to the Nav Display provider - in this case SkyDemon.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 10:45:44 am »
I am reluctant to add more switches wherever possible, one of the criticisms I hear from many non-tech users, is how confusing it is to configure appropriately.

How about moving most of the additional configuration items to another web page under an "Advanced" button or link on the setup page?

Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 10:48:46 am »
but would prefer not to receive an audible threat alert from them so if this could be filtered from the audio it would be a great help.
this is a good idea, had not considered that TBH

Visually, they show up as a sort of Tower symbol in EasyVFR, that I use.
I did not know that, that is clearly much better, I will take a look

If Sky Demon depicts them as an aircraft symbol I think I should find that disconcerting!

OK, so EasyVFR is using a useful symbol, SkyDemon is using a non-useful symbol.
In which case I probably WOULD like to see this in EasyVFR - but not in SkyDemon.
At the sending end (PilotAware) I cannot determine who is listeneing, EasyVFR or SkyDemon or AN.other

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 10:50:43 am »
As alluded to by Keith earlier in the discussion, ground stations co-located at hard to spot airstrips can be very useful as a visual aid for locating them without using your Nav program GOTO function. ISTR they may show up on the PAW Radar display so if you don’t have/use a Nav program its extra situational info.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 10:51:15 am »
Visually, they show up as a sort of Tower symbol in EasyVFR, that I use
Can you post a screenshot of this for everyones benefit ?

Moffrestorer

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 11:05:58 am »
Hi Lee, unfortunately I don’t have a screenshot of this but from memory it’s like an upside down “Y”.

I’ve noticed the station at Shobdon shows as having a red ring encircling it, annotated G/S in red also, when on the ground. Height dependent, so once you climb above your filter range the inverted “Y” symbol becomes green and the alert ring disappears.