Author Topic: Won't connect after installing latest software  (Read 9682 times)

Admin

Re: Won't connect after installing latest software
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 01:49:54 pm »
Lee, what's the power error message "Command not Registered" tell you as I have not seen that before?

This is because the Kernel in this installation is old, and cannot report this information
I will try to filter this top give a better message from the web interface
Thx
Lee

design4p

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 07:45:30 pm »
Hi,

From the discussions it looks like I need to buy a GPS module or maybe send the unit to the experts.

Been flying today to Shobdon for the fly in and food festival - just got back home.

Appreciated all the help.

Regards John

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 08:12:32 pm »
Hi John,

Lee was going to e-mail you about this - See a few posts back from here. Have you checked your e-mails? - also check the 'Messages' Tab at the top of the page in case he used that method instead.

Regards

Peter

design4p

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 03:47:13 pm »
Hi,

Completed a full manual software update as suggested by Exfirepro.

Unfortunately, the situation remains.  I have attached 2 word docs of the HOME and CONFIG page.

There must be something that can be done to get the unit working - I am on the limit of my knowledge in this area of electronics - Sorry I'm a Mechanical engineer.

John

Admin

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 04:14:34 pm »
Hi John

your efforts are commendable, but pretty sure there is definitely a fault with the GPS, it is not registered as a device in the list of USB devices
I have contacted Dave Styles to list one on the shop - this should resolve your issue

As a test do you have anyone local to you with another PilotAware you could try swapping their GPS module into your unit
this would prove definitively that the GPS was at fault

Thx
Lee

design4p

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 04:22:41 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I don't know of anyone local with a PilotAware.

I'll a GPS module from the shop when available.

Thank you for helping.

Regards John

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 07:31:22 pm »
Hi John,

Well done on the successful manual software update. That has got your device running the newest software on the latest Raspberry Pi ‘Kernel’, which should rule out any software issues.

I agree with Lee (as I usually do  :) ) the next step is to try another GPS dongle. Hopefully that will sort the problem. My only concern is why it went down in the first place. The only one I’ve personally known to fail was taken down by a faulty (seriously overheating) SDR dongle - hopefully not the ‘root cause’ in your case.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 07:31:50 pm »
Where's "local"?

design4p

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:11 pm »
Hi,

Local for me is Corwen LL21 0NA Wales.  I fly from Sleap EGCV 1.25 hours travelling by car from home.

Inspecting my GPS dongle it does appear a little 'wobbly' between the body and the USB connector.  I opened the body and noticed one of the 4 connections were loose.  I have tried to solder it back but it is a very small area, however, I did make the connection and now the GPS colour has changed to orange from red.

I think it is time for a new GPS module.

Regards John

design4p

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 10:45:20 pm »
Hi - Found the GPS unit for sale on the internet £12.95 from Derbyshire UK.  Looks identical - delivery this Friday.

John

exfirepro

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 11:00:30 pm »
Hi John,

Your soldering job has certainly brought the GPS back to life and it is now showing up on the Home Screen in the USB Devices List - the ‘ uBlox-7 ‘ on the list is the GPS as you no doubt realised - and it is showing in the GPS Reporting Row with recent gps data (messages) received - hence why the status ‘light’ has gone orange. The reason it hasn’t yet gone green is simply because it hasn’t been able to see enough satellites yet - I’m guessing you were probably testing indoors?

That’s good news as it means the reason it went faulty is due to mechanical damage rather than anything more ‘sinister’. Hopefully once the new one arrives, all will be well again - and look how much you’ve learned in the process.

Best Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:04:01 pm by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 11:40:24 pm »
I've had one fail the same way. One that had been removed from the case to fit within a Stratux case. I couldn't get it going reliably and binned it. New one is going to get an epoxy reinforcement  :)

Paul_Sengupta