Author Topic: upgrade to Rosetta and change to Pi3B  (Read 7581 times)

francoisvl

Re: upgrade to Rosetta and change to Pi3B
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 03:03:16 pm »
Thanks Lee - when I get my new Pi, who do I email to move the licence to the new MAC address? I was having wifi issues and thought the built in wifi chip might help (didn't think it could hurt). I will get a new bridge in the DIY kit when these are back in stock.
Regards
Francois

francoisvl

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 03:09:28 pm »
Sorry spotted this in another message from you to another thread:
send an email to support@pilotaware.com requesting a license transfer, providing
name
email
old MAC address
new MAC address

Posting here in case anyone else missed it! Thanks and apologies for not spotting that sooner.

Francois

francoisvl

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 12:42:16 pm »
I have a longer 5dBi 1090 MHz NooElec aerial that I bought some time ago. Is this better/indifferent to the shorter 1090MHz aerial in the upgrade kit? What are the differences?

Kind regards
Francois

Ian Melville

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 01:27:53 pm »
A 5db gain will possibly take you over the legal ERP limit. Depends on the length of the cable run.

Not an issue if you are using it to receive only.

Admin

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 01:47:01 pm »
Hi Ian, Francois

Ian, firstly I think this is regarding the 1090Mhz (receive), so gain is not an issue.
Francois, yes you could use this, the question I would ask you is 'why do you want to do this ?'

If you are concerned about the performance, this will not be an issue.
Using the standard 1090Mhz tuned antenna, I receive signals from 200km easily
As this product is intended for localised traffic avoidance, 200km is interesting, but utterly useless :o

thx
Lee

francoisvl

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 04:04:45 pm »
Short answer is because I have one from doing my own case upgrade previously when I broke the aerial previously supplied. I think it may look neater and since I already have it was wondering if there was a reason not to use it. Many thanks!

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 06:56:53 am »
Hi again Francois,

Coming back late to this thread as I have been on holiday. Acknowledging the above comments, there is no technical reason not to use the higher gain antenna for 1090MHz receive. Just be aware that it might skew the Mode C/S Alerts slightly as they are triggered by received signal strength, which will appear stronger from the higher gain antenna. This means you might experience more alerts at slightly increased range. If this is the case, you can compensate by selecting a shorter Mode C/S Detect Range on the Configure Screen. (Don’t forget to ‘Save’ any changes).

Best Regards

Peter