Author Topic: upgrade to Rosetta and change to Pi3B  (Read 7582 times)

mmcp42

upgrade to Rosetta and change to Pi3B
« on: June 24, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »
I have a spare 3B
is the upgrade the same as for retaining the original (Pi2)?
cheers

Admin

Re: upgrade to Rosetta and change to Pi3B
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:10:57 pm »
Hi
If you feel comfortable doing the upgrafe yourself, simply order the DIY upgrade and swap the pi2 to pi3
We can swap the license for you
Thx
Lee

mmcp42

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
ordered :)

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:56:00 pm »
Great

When you order you will be sent an email on where to send your bridge back to. Just put a note in with your old MAC and the new MAC and we will make the change for you. NO CHARGE OF COURSE.

Keith

mmcp42

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 05:25:22 pm »
email received
wilco!

francoisvl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:25 am »
What does the Pi3B add over the Pi2? Is there a difference between the Pi3B and Pi3B+?

Francois

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:48:51 am »
What does the Pi3B add over the Pi2? Is there a difference between the Pi3B and Pi3B+?

Francois

Hi Francois

The Pi3B is a faster board that the Pi2, so processes the increased levels of data more efficiently. The major improvement, however, is that it has onboard WiFi, so we no longer need a separate WiFi dongle. This improves efficiency and frees up a USB slot for those who might want to run dual receive (for 978MHz weather) or add connections to their transponder (for 'ADSB-Out') or to an onboard FLARM receiver.

The Pi 3B+ uses slightly different architecture from the 3B so needs a different software version. Initial tests using this showed a couple of issues which require further work, so the Pi 3B+ is not currently supported.

Best Regards

Peter

francoisvl

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:27 am »
Thanks Peter, excellent info as usual.
Kind regards
Francois

TrevM

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 06:56:01 pm »
Great

When you order you will be sent an email on where to send your bridge back to. Just put a note in with your old MAC and the new MAC and we will make the change for you. NO CHARGE OF COURSE.

Keith

(Can't find the answer to this on forum already, so probably a silly question, but...) when I query ip addr in the command line to get the MAC address for my RPi3 there two choices: either eth0 or wlan0. Which one is needed for the licence change (presume eth0, but just want to confirm)?

Thanks

Trevor

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 07:20:46 pm »
Trev,

Getting the MAC direct from the Raspberry Pi is not my area of expertise, but if it helps, what we need is the 12 character MAC Address which will start B827EB.....

For 'non-techies', the normal way to determine the MAC address is to put the microSD containing the PilotAware Software from your existing PAW into the 'new' Pi3, power it up and watch for the WiFi to appear on your phone or tablet WiFi list. You won't need a WiFi dongle with the Pi3 as this is contained on the board (or any of the other 'dongles' at this stage). Once the software has booted, the MAC address should appear automatically as part of the 'new' WiFi address.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 08:54:07 pm »
To follow up the original question, it is the eth0 MAC
Thx
Lee

francoisvl

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 03:00:17 pm »
Is there ever likely to be the option just to upgrade the bridge to the new one? I have a new case, the new aerials etc as I've previously upgraded those items myself. Seems wasteful to get all the new bits, when all I need is a new bridge is all.

Kind regards
Francois

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Hi Francois,

‘Rosetta Bridge’ production is all going into new Rosettas and upgrade kits at present to keep up with demand, but I would think they will become available at some point as separate items to allow Home-Built PilotAware’s to be upgraded and of course in due course as ‘replacements’. Not sure when though. Perhaps Keith can advise.

Regards

Peter

francoisvl

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »
I see now that the DIY kits of out of stock. I've bought a new Raspberry Pi 3B for now. Will I need to update the licence information if I change the Raspberry, or is that Bridge-linked?
Kind regards
Francois

Admin

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:26 pm »
I see now that the DIY kits of out of stock. I've bought a new Raspberry Pi 3B for now. Will I need to update the licence information if I change the Raspberry, or is that Bridge-linked?
Kind regards
Francois

Hi Fransois
the License is linked to the Pi not the Bridge
Thx
Lee