Author Topic: dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS  (Read 11719 times)

exfirepro

Re: dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:09 am »
I use that excuse a lot too Neil.... starting to wear a bit thin this end though..... (recognise these looks? Me.. ::)  Her Indoors.. >:( )

Regards

Peter  :)

Mmmm,  how much is it worth not to show her this post.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Erm! .... Pot /Kettle! ... I seem to remember someone here using...’Peter needs me to go testing’ ...or is that just hearsay? 

::) :)

neilmurg

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 10:38:51 pm »
1. Try connecting using FLARM rather than PilotAware, to see if this works
2. Get the tablet to 'forget' PilotAware hotspot, reconnect, then try 'go flying' with Pilotaware
3. Connect safari to the PilotAware Hotspot home page, than try 'go flying'
Went today to try out your options:
It worked perfectly. I think it was the wifi connect as it would sometimes have trouble connecting. so I cancelled the WiFi connection and re-connected it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:03:12 pm by neilmurg »

neilmurg

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:29 pm »
I tried to grab/print what I could, I have a few .trk's as well, including ProjectPropeller, but I guess as it's all working now that's not of much interest. Thanks for the help and patience
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:09:53 pm by neilmurg »

neilmurg

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 12:13:13 am »
Update: Flew today for real and 'No GPS' when trying to 'Go Flying' via SkyDemon, aaargh!
So I cancelled the Wifi Connection (I notice it had connected to Pilotaware and report 'problems connecting', but then connects ok)
Cancelled (forgot) the connection, reconnected to WiFi, went back to SD, success! All worked perfectly the whole flight.
It also connected and worked perfectly on the way back. I think it helps if power to the PAw is only connected when the aircraft electrics are established (after engine start)
I hope this helps someone.
I got a brief false mode C red ring once in the 2 flights, I think it was me. The clue is it pops up as red mode C, there's no green - yellow - red. Straight red, then disappears. Other than that, the warnings were very useful, in the circuit it's a great reminder to identify everyone you've heard, and keep looking for the silent / non-emitting.

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 08:38:33 am »
Hi Neil,

Bearing in mind that Mode C responses don't include the aircraft Hex, the 'initial' mode C contact from your own Mode C or Mode S transponder when PAW initially 'finds' it will create an alert, as PAW hasn't yet fully established that it is 'yours' at this point. With the most recent software (20180520) which you are running, this should only happen at first contact.

I notice from your 'Home Screen' that you are running quite an old Raspbian 'Kernel' (3.18.7-v7+). This is a downside of continually updating by 'PilotAware.pgp', which only updates the 'PilotAware' software, not the Linux Core. In view of your continuing connection difficulties, I would recommend a Full Re-install of the latest Software version onto a freshly reformatted microSD card as this will update the Core to the latest Kernel. You need to carefully follow the Full Manual Update Instructions here... http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160901-Manual-Software-Upgrade-1.pdf

As this involves a complete reinstall of the software, you will need to re-enter all your present settings, including your Licence Key and Aircraft Details, so it's best to take a copy or a Screenshot of the 'Configure Screen' before you start. Also download any Track Files first if you want to keep them.

Let me know if this sorts the problem.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 09:47:54 am »
Update: Flew today for real and 'No GPS' when trying to 'Go Flying' via SkyDemon, aaargh!
So I cancelled the Wifi Connection (I notice it had connected to Pilotaware and report 'problems connecting', but then connects ok)
Cancelled (forgot) the connection, reconnected to WiFi, went back to SD, success! All worked perfectly the whole flight.
It also connected and worked perfectly on the way back. I think it helps if power to the PAw is only connected when the aircraft electrics are established (after engine start)

Hi Neil
I think I can see what is happening here.
Can I ask what is the exact shutdown procedure and in what order ?
1. ipad into standby mode,
2. Pilotaware off,
or in reverse ?

PilotAware will only send UDP data to known connected clients, this is the PilotAware or GDL90 type interface
Upon reboot, PilotAware believes it has no connected clients, but I think the iPad is 'thinking' it still has a DHCP IP address allocated.
PilotAware will not recognise the iPAd is connected until

- it gets a DHCP request
This can be due to a timeout, or a 'forget network', or whatever means ios decides

- it sees IP traffic
For instance a connection to the webserver at http://192.168.1.1

I think I can work around this issue, but reproducing your scenario leading upto it is difficult.
If you can describe in excruciating detail the order and method and shutdown, and then startup, I can possibly re-create and test my proposed solution

for the time being the following should work

1. use FLARM connection (this uses TCP not UDP)

2. use 'forget network'

3. Also I think simply accessing the web page http://192.168.1.1 will also force a refresh, if you get the chance to test this, I would be interested in your findings

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:49:41 am by Admin »

Admin

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 10:09:21 am »
I got a brief false mode C red ring once in the 2 flights, I think it was me. The clue is it pops up as red mode C, there's no green - yellow - red. Straight red, then disappears...

Hi Neil

Peter explained what is probably happening here, but I thought I would chip-in
Mode-C is a complete nightmare to handle effectively I have to tell you.
There is nothing to indicate whethe the Mode-C is you or someone else
Bear in mind even if you have an ADS-B tranponder or Mode-S transponder, it will still reply to mode-C interrogation

So we have to 'learn' that this Mode-C is probably you, we developed some pretty complicated machine learning algorithms to do this, but where they cannot work effectively - is the initial interrogation, or an interrogation after a long pause of silence.

So where this will likely produce a false-positive, during take off where you get your first Mode-C ground interrogation ?
When flying in/out of areas covered by ground interrogation ?

Where it gets really confusing, is if you are flying in an area not covered by ground interrogation, but you are interrogated by a TCAS - again the system may initially provide a false-positive

it is the nature of the beast, and this was the very reason you can disable Mode-C detection, but keep Mode-S

Thx
Lee

neilmurg

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 07:38:33 am »
Thanks for the 3 replies. I will do as you suggest and action those / report back when I get chance. Shutdown sequence tends to be PAw off before Samsung tablet.
Now I can reconnect via wifi disconnect/reconnect I'm not concerned by the UDP/TCP. Also now I understand the red Mode C proximity warning I'm OK with that, I show it to others so that they don't overreact. It's quite different to the green then yellow ring warnings, and a bit like getting used to the audio in the circuit, you have to use it to get the most out of it. I advise those that get distracted by multiple warnings in the circuit to mute that channel on the audio panel, but not switch it off, as I'm still listening.
Regards

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 06:20:19 pm »
One thing in my aeroplane, the PAW Classic doesn't seem to like engine starts. It'll connect on Wifi but the SDR dongle won't seem to receive anything. Rebooting the PAW brings everything back. I try and remember not to power it up until after engine start, but sometimes I power it up before if it hasn't had a GPS lock for a while to get the GPS location recognised again.

exfirepro

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »
Hi Paul,

I have a similar problem. I suspect my battery may be on the way out as I often lose the radio as well during starting and have to turn it back on and wait for PAW to reboot before heading for the Runway, so now trying to remember to start the engine first.  :-\

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 11:25:07 pm »
The voltage *will* drop when the starter motor is engaged. Standard procedure is avionics off before engine start.

neilmurg

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 10:40:12 am »
We have a switch for the cigarette lighter/'auxiliary power source' - I also get the odd problem when I - forget to switch it on after engine start   :-\

neilmurg

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 11:26:31 pm »
Interim Report
Sorry guys, I've forgotten what I'm supposed to report on. I've run the PAw across Europe (Vienna - Blackbushe). It worked great. It did stop working after 2 hours on the coaming, but that was clearly thermal stress.
I have external aerials now, and a GPS extension cable. So that is not a problem for the future.
I have plenty of journey logs if you want them.
I'm planning my Rosetta upgrade, and I think I know why you called it Rosetta, discussion for another time...

Ian Melville

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 08:26:50 am »
Next version will be 'Babel Fish'  :)

neilmurg

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 08:19:56 pm »
Next version will be 'Babel Fish'  :)
Oh come on! I NEED that one, can I beta test? alpha test? borrow one? You can call me Broomfondle