Author Topic: dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS  (Read 11721 times)

neilmurg

dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:08:35 am »
Is there a dipole with suckers for the Mode S/ADS-B transmissions? So I can bury the PAw but have the aerials out, I was just about to buy the P3I dipole, + GPS mouse, but need the other one.

And, 2nd Q :P, I'm having trouble getting traffic on my SD display, if I connect to Pilotaware it says 'GPS data not received (or similar) so I revert to mini tablet GPS. It clearly has GPS tho' as it can report range and direction to ADS-B targets. In some ways it's better, I don't have the distraction of targets on SD, but I do get the audio via audio cable into the Garmin 345 :P

Thankyou in anticipation, still lovin' it, I'm slowly getting the others in my group to engage.

Ian Melville

Re: dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 06:11:11 am »
1. I made my own 1090 antenna dipole using the core an sheath from the cable of an old mag mount version. Very Blue Peter, and works brilliantly. Think I posted a 'how to' somewhere? These antenna are not critical.

2. Getting a report of other traffic is not dependent on your GPS. You need to sort out why yours is not working. Can you leave it running outside with a clear view of the sky for 15 minutes, then post screenshots from the home page and logging page.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:53:55 am »
Hi Neil
We are having some centre feed horn antennas made as a pair. One for 869.5mhx and one for 1090mhz. These will be available for our range of installation kits for various types of aircraft available soon. This one in particular is for where folks don’t want to or can’t drill holes in their aircraft. The kits should be available in about 4 weeks.

If you can’t wait that long we have found that the existing horn antenn will work ok for 1090 MHz as well as 869. One for each. If you have a Classic you will also need an mcx to sma converter for the Adsb

Pilotaware is always better permanently or semi permanently installed. Better reception and no wires showing

Keith

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:57:32 am »
Neil,

Re the ‘fault’ part of your post:-

As per my comment on your other thread, what PilotAware software version are you running? Also is this still a Classic?

What version of SkyDemon are you running?

I take it you have checked that your device is correctly connected to the PAW WiFi, but it isn’t receiving data - is this correct? What message is coming up on screen (please report this as accurately as possible or preferably post a screengrab).

Oh, and if ‘burying’ the PAW, it’s a good idea to fit a USB extension to a ‘spare’ USB port to facilitate updates. It can be a pain trying to do so otherwise.

Thanks.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:01:59 am by exfirepro »

neilmurg

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »
Neil,
..what PilotAware software version are you running? Also is this still a Classic?
What version of SkyDemon are you running?
I take it you have checked that your device is correctly connected to the PAW WiFi, but it isn’t receiving data - is this correct?
What message is coming up on screen (please report this as accurately as possible or preferably post a screengrab).
Oh, and if ‘burying’ the PAW, it’s a good idea to fit a USB extension to a ‘spare’ USB port to facilitate updates. It can be a pain trying to do so otherwise.
PAw version = 20180520, yes a classic with an SMA pigtail and small antenna for the DVB-T
Skydemon 3.9.5.18618, Galaxy Tab S2 8" SM-T710, Android 6.0.1
yes Wifi connected correctly, yes when trying to Go Flying using Pilotaware it says: not receiving GPS data
Will do a screen grab
leave it running outside with a clear view of the sky for 15 minutes, then post screenshots from the home page and logging page.
Will do

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:43:48 pm »
Thanks Neil,

I have a couple of potential issues in mind, but will wait ‘til I see the screengrabs.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 06:08:28 pm »
Hi Neil

Have you always had this issue or is this something new ?
What is your power supply ?

Couple of experiments to try

1. Try connecting using FLARM rather than PilotAware, to see if this works

2. Get the tablet to 'forget' PilotAware hotspot, reconnect, then try 'go flying' with Pilotaware

3. Connect safari to the PilotAware Hotspot home page, than try 'go flying'

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:11:35 pm by Admin »

neilmurg

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:42:24 pm »
Hi Lee
It's new, in the last week 6 flights. Will do as you suggest (and the other stuff). Man I have to go the field and possibly flying again 8-D
'Yes dear, got to, Lee said...'

Admin

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:15:29 pm »
Hi Lee
It's new, in the last week 6 flights. Will do as you suggest (and the other stuff). Man I have to go the field and possibly flying again 8-D
'Yes dear, got to, Lee said...'

;D

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:08:33 pm »
I use that excuse a lot too Neil.... starting to wear a bit thin this end though..... (recognise these looks? Me.. ::)  Her Indoors.. >:( )

Regards

Peter  :)

neilmurg

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 12:45:50 am »
You have to work on the timing of the statement  vs being out of the door.
2 seconds is the gold standard. But if you spot a phone call to mother or hairdresser, you have time to pack a toothbrush

neilmurg

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 12:47:24 am »
You have a filter for women on this forum right? I didn't just say that out loud?   :-\
Someone in our group (works at Swanwick and switched on) just flew, no problem, so points to wifi issue with my tablet. I will still do full diagnostic etc.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:02:10 am by neilmurg »

neilmurg

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:13:46 am »
I almost bought a GPS mouse, but it sounds like I should just get a USB tail for the GPS blox a dipole aerial for the Pi and a homemade dipole for 1090. Then store the Pilotaware in the cubby hole, fix the aerials to the perspex and GPS to the coaming.

Is there a  GPS receiver with Bluetooth which can serve several devices in the cockpit? There's definitely a market
Did you know that Bluetooth is named after a Norse King?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 02:35:43 am »
http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-famous-people/bluetooth-why-modern-tech-named-after-powerful-king-denmark-and-norway-007398

The name was chosen due to Swedish telecommunication company Ericsson’s Viking heritage. The founders felt that Harald Bluetooth’s ability to unite people in peaceful negotiations would be appropriate for a telecommunications technology.

And yes, I work for Ericsson, so I know the story.  ;D

AlanG

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:32 am »
I use that excuse a lot too Neil.... starting to wear a bit thin this end though..... (recognise these looks? Me.. ::)  Her Indoors.. >:( )

Regards

Peter  :)

Mmmm,  how much is it worth not to show her this post.   ;D  ;D  ;D