Author Topic: Own aircraft shows up Red on Traffic page  (Read 2409 times)

grahambaker

Own aircraft shows up Red on Traffic page
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:45:14 pm »
Something that's bugged me for a long while....

I've checked that the Hex ID set in PAW matches that of my transponder. My Trig TT31 squitts ES ADS-B with a GNS430W providing a position source. I see 'CSA' in the 'MODE' field but no 'P' (which I assume is filtering doing its job).

I was led to believe that filtering of the HexID would suppress my own aircraft on the Traffic page, but there it is at the top with the 'D', 'A' and 'BR' fields in glorious technicolor (sic).

Is this normal behaviour?

I would add that a few weeks ago I did a long trip to Tuscany and back and I was regularly haunted by a bearingless warning at -100' or -200' which I can't believe was genuine traffic as I have the filters set to short range and very narrow. Since then I've upgraded to the latest release and that issue seems to have gone away, although I've only done a couple of hours since then. The Red me is still there though.

Tomorrow will be a better test as I'll be hacking back and forth on Project Propeller.

grahambaker

Re: Own aircraft shows up Red on Traffic page
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:51:24 pm »
Supplementary posting with Config page attached:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:56:44 pm by GrahamBaker »

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:36:55 pm »
Hi Graham,

Yes, this is completely normal.

The Traffic Screen is effectively a ‘collection box’ which lists all the traffic that has been received by your PilotAware over the recent period. Aircraft appear listed by EC ‘type’ with the strongest (normally ADSB / Mode S-ES) at the top, running down to the bottom which usually comprises Mode C (altitude) responses which can be from ADSB/Mode S-ES/Mode S/or ‘pure’ Mode C aircraft, which are being assessed against other aircraft in the table to confirm whether they are simply altitude responses ‘duplicating’ aircraft already in the table or ‘pure’ Mode C contacts.

Mode S or C aircraft reaching any of the ‘Notice’/‘Alert’/‘Danger’ thresholds (dependent on your selected settings) will show as Green/Amber/Red in the table, while aircraft ‘deselected’ by your selected filters will be greyed out and are not sent to your Nav System Display.

Your own aircraft - generally being the strongest signal being received by your PilotAware normally appears at the very top of the table, and shows Red because it’s strength is above the preset ‘Danger’ level, but is then filtered by its HEX code and not passed as a threat - hence why it is so important to set your correct HEX code in both your Transponder and PilotAware.

Your ‘ghost’ was almost certainly a rogue warning from the Mode C (altitude) responses from your own transponder. Lee did a significant amount of work for the 20180520 release to eliminate these ‘ghost’ alerts, so you should now have no more trouble with them.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:40:03 pm by exfirepro »

grahambaker

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 07:45:46 pm »
Many thanks for the explanation, Peter.

My mind is at rest.