Author Topic: Rosetta upgrade  (Read 23677 times)

Wadoadi

Re: Rosetta upgrade
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
Hi Lee, no, no one recommended the RavPower I have used it for sometime since the internet of things radio board days...

For me I have a V2 purchased directly sometime ago and the one in the Rosetta upgrade kit.

On boot from the non recommended battery throttling is 0x0 shortly after it is 0x50005
Removing either SDR and throttling remains 0x0

On a genuine rpi mains supply and with both SDRs throttling remains 0x0

Admin

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 01:25:32 pm »
Hi Adi

One of the SDR was part of the upgrade, did you purchase the second separately ?
I understand there were 2 versions of the LP SDR, the first version was not as low power as the second

Thx
Lee

Wadoadi

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 01:40:29 pm »
Hi Lee, yes it was a V2 ordered from RTL-SDR, they look identical to apart from the PCB colour!

thanks Adi

brinzlee

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 03:20:11 pm »
Interesting its still throttled with just one SDR low power.....its a v2 by the way....with the blue board.....
I will run some voltage and current consumption diagnostics...I have tried a brand new charged Anker battery with no difference....
Looks like the setup when its settled down is drawing about 0.9A with both SDR's connected not allowing for peaks....but the voltage is dropping down to 4.7v which I guess is the issue....

Admin

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 03:22:24 pm »
Hi Brinz

Sounds like the cable ?
Do you have another cable to hand to try ?
I presume it is the JuicyBitz, is it the 30cm or 1Metre ?

Thx
Lee

brinzlee

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »
Tried multiple JuicyBitz cables...and yes they are the 1 metre ones.....
Just tried it on a wall outlet with USB and now the throttling is 0X0

Will have to sacrifice my home automation RPi, that has a 30cm on it.... :(

Keithvinning

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 04:34:22 pm »
POWER AGAIN!!! :o

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 10:48:41 pm »
Can I just point out that I have a Pi 3 with two standard, non-low-power SDRs in it and I've never had the throttling problem.

I mostly run mine off USB cigarette lighter adaptors though rather than batteries. Both my Anker and EasyAcc batteries seem to work without any throttling though, even with a metre lead.

There may be variations in all the hardware I guess.

JCurtis

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:27 pm »
POWER AGAIN!!! :o

I had a customer get in touch with a iPad slowly discharging when in flight, turned out that despite using an original OEM cable, it was a little 'mature'.  Enough strands had given up the ghost over the 2 years they had it to compromise the power.  They are designed to be flexible, with a high number of very fine strands of wire to make up each cable core.  These will fracture over time. 

So treat USB cables as consumable, especially if they get moved around.

Needles to say a swap of the USB cable they were using restored everything back to normal.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Ian Melville

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 08:23:59 am »
Like Paul I have been running two standard SDR on a Pi2 and Pi3, from a 10Ah Anker pack with a 1m Juicebitz lead with no power issues.

brinzlee

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 08:38:39 am »
Interesting comments Gentlemen....all taken on board. The only variation I have, I believe is an external gps glued to the top of the case but I’m sure that wouldn’t draw more current than the standard one. I will do some more investigations today. And let you know
Lee I couldn’t decipher that link you sent me referring to the power codes....
What is the difference between 0x0 and 0x50005 and 0x50000

PaulSS

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:06 am »
This was in one of Lee's old posts:

Hi Gareth,
That is pretty important, what it is detecting is an undervoltage issue
I will add more info to the warnings in the next release, but basically, these are individual bitmasks (techie speak)

Code: [Select]
0x00000001 under-voltage
0x00000002 arm frequency capped
0x00000004 currently throttled
0x00010000 under-voltage has occurred
0x00020000 arm frequency capped has occurred
0x00040000 throttling has occurred

0x50000 means that undervoltage was detected, and throttling occured at some time
0x50005 means that undervoltage is detected, and throttling is applied

Admin

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:02 am »
Hi Brinz
looks like Paul found one of my old descriptions, does this make sense ?

Thx
Lee

brinzlee

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:17 am »
That does make sense thanks Guys......so what does 0x0 mean.....it that system ok

Admin

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10:16 am »
That does make sense thanks Guys......so what does 0x0 mean.....it that system ok
yes, I will make this clearer in a future release.

So coming back to your original issue, do you have access to any voltage measuring equipment
I think we need to understand is it
- battery
- cable
- additional loading from SDR

I should add, the system will probably continue to function, but this is an indicator that it could be 'on the edge'

Thx
Lee