Author Topic: Rosetta upgrade  (Read 24012 times)

Wadoadi

Rosetta upgrade
« on: June 16, 2018, 09:25:35 am »
Hi,
    I saw a post/page with the pricing on, but does anyone know when we will be able to order the upgrade?

Also, if I want to change to a PI3 at the same time (I have one spare) it will change the MAC address which I’m guessing means my licence won’t work, so is there a way to have it reassigned?

Thanks

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Rosetta upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:48 am »
Yes, you can message Lee and he can change the licence over to the new Pi.

Wadoadi

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 07:31:56 pm »
Thanks Paul, do you know when I can order an upgrade?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:31:07 pm »
No idea, sorry!

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:05 pm »
this will be announced shortly

Wadoadi

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:24 am »
Thank you.

Last question for now!

I know Rosetta uses the PI3B, but if I wanted to use the PI3B+ will it work?

I know the small increase in clock speed may have upped the power consumption, however the improved shielding may be of benefit...

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:31:11 am »
Hi Wadoadi,

Nice to see you back on the Forum!

Short answer is that the Pi3 B+ uses a slightly different setup and the current software won’t run on it, so at present only the Pi3B is supported.

Regards

Peter

Wadoadi

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »
Thanks Peter, Nice to have been missed! :)

I have ordered my upgrade and the original bridge board is in the post back to Pilotaware (will arrive tomorrow), I have included both my existing Pi 2B and my PI 3B MAC addresses in the hope the label will be printed and licence swapped over in one move ;)

I have also asked if I could have a splitter cable for the SDR for the weather I already have one low power SDR so I may as well put it to use :)
if there is an additional cost may be some can message me I can pay it over the phone...

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 07:50:32 pm »
Hi
Every time I read your posts I think of Wodadli the local beer of Antigua and Barbuda.  8)
Anyway. Yes we will change over your MAC address of course.
We are still waiting for the special cables from the supplier in the far East

Keith

Wadoadi

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:47:52 pm »
Haha I must try that beer, cheers Keith. it arrived today simple to put together and reload, all working...

Wadoadi is my old gamers tag and comes from Wado for Wado Ryu Karate and my name Adi (Adrian).

Wadoadi

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 08:28:08 pm »
Upgrade built! Will be test flying it during the week.

Suggest anyone doing the upgrade drill the aerial holes with 7mm drill bit as the instructions say may be needed.

I have also cut the label down so that it doesn’t block any of the ventilation holes.

I kept my existing 5 dbi 1090 aerial, the kit comes with a 3dbi aerial.

Lastly as the case supplied is not one of the translucent ones, thus it is not possible to see the power and status lights, l will adding two 1 or 2mm holes to allow these to be seen.

It was nice not to have to drill, fill and file out holes! Also the SMA holes line up and will provide more support.

Would like to know how to enable the weather trial, I have a second low power SDR, and I know I will only get it when fly down south!

Also looking forward to when the artificial horizon is available...

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 10:58:38 pm »
Adi,

Good to hear your upgrade went well.

Once you have done the upgrade, implementing weather reception is pretty straightforward. When you plug in the second SDR and power up your Rosetta, the software (20180520 on) recognises 2x SDRs and programs the second one to receive 978MHz automatically. You also need to replace the single pigtail with a Y splitter pigtail to feed both SDRs off the single (1090MHz) antenna - or you could use a single antenna tuned for the weaker 978MHz signals instead (1090MHz signals are generally much stronger).

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:00:30 pm by exfirepro »

Wadoadi

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 11:05:45 pm »
thanks Peter, Y cable is on order from some faraway land!

I may have an aerial tunned to a frequency close to that... other then the second SDR showing in the home screen is there any other indication of it being enabled, it may be a while before I fly near a trial transmitter!

My second SDR is also a low power V2 SDR.

Keithvinning

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 11:34:32 pm »
Hi W

Be careful standard Y cables wont fit into the Rosetta Case. This is because the parallel connection is done at the SMA end and the ones that we have seen on t'internet are too big and bulky.

We are having some made to our specification to avoid this.

If you are lucky and get one that is not big and bulky and fits like Cinderella's slipper let us know.

Wadoadi

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 11:37:06 pm »
Will do!

Please also let me know when I can order one of yours Keith

Thanks