Author Topic: Kits or ready-made device  (Read 8799 times)

gnrfk

Kits or ready-made device
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:33 pm »
I'm a pilot that is fascinated by PA but I know I don't have the skills/knowledge to make up a unit and debug it.

Is anyone prepared to make a unit for me to buy?

Or is anyone working on a kit that follows the KISS principle?

JCurtis

Re: Kits or ready-made device
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »
I'm a pilot that is fascinated by PA but I know I don't have the skills/knowledge to make up a unit and debug it.

Is anyone prepared to make a unit for me to buy?

Or is anyone working on a kit that follows the KISS principle?

I was thinking about this walking to a meeting today.  It would save issues with "fake" Chinese parts causing issues and enable correctly tuned aerials to be used etc. With the possibility of adding in a GPS module too it might be worth the time to look at it.

I made the ARF Shield to remove the need to solder anything, so with the right bits it is then plug and play.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

bnmont

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:10:54 pm »
I imagine there would be fairly good demand for a pre built unit at a sensible price.
Certainly would have gone for one myself, however decided to try and build using the pre assembled ARF and pressure sensor that JC supplies.
I'm now waiting for a few bits to arrive.
 I'm sure to be asking questions.
No soldering to do though!

Regards Brian

N6010Y

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 06:55:14 pm »
I think this would have significant interest.

I'm building a couple for some flying buddies (at cost).  With the hardware improvements coming along nicely, the build time is quick, but the availability of parts is becoming an issue.

I think as long as the read-made devices are reasonably priced, then this would work, but as soon as folk start asking silly money, then it wont!

dougblair

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:27:12 am »
Unless you are happy loading software onto the PI to keep up with revisions I might hold off.  The rapid improvements brought about by Lee and his contributers are worth keeping up with.  Part of the fun is the newness and the rapid progress.
I am in North Wales and would be happy to solder up a unit for any one in the area but they really should know how to do updates.

Duckling

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:07:21 am »
A ready made kit would have been better but I've found that building it myself with zero knowledge is fairly easy to do and not something which should put you off.  I speak as someone who had to ask the guy in Maplins whether I needed to buy solder to go with the iron.  :-[  The most time consuming part was getting hold of a usb keyboard for the Pi in my houseful of laptops.   

ianfallon

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »
One of these:

http://www.charge4.co.uk/pilotaware.html

"Pi Shield inc Barometric plus ARF module" (with both extra options ticked)

plus the USB dongle parts from the Known Good Hardware thread is pretty much a "kit" PilotAware box now.
I guess you still need to drill the hole in the case for the SMA connector but that's about it in terms of H/W DIY.

gnrfk

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 11:33:46 pm »
Thanks Ian - that's brilliant!

neilmurg

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:00:03 pm »
As far as I know, ARF module is still not approved. So if you get one, you're taking a chance (I got one, happy to take the chance, and bin it when the approved one is known).
Also, I'm inexperienced in the soldering stuff, but I tried it anyway. It was a really useful exercise, it taught me to buy ready made modules...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:15:56 pm by neilmurg »

Admin

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:35:49 pm »
Please, please dont get an ARF, that is still my advice.
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:38:03 pm by Admin »

Shortwing

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 08:56:13 am »
Lee, whats the current progress with the ARF or alternative?

I have two complete with ARF built long before the advice was given.

I understand silence isn't no action being taken, but I think most people would be interested to understand what is happening to keep the project alive?

Admin

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:33:47 am »
Lee, whats the current progress with the ARF or alternative?

I have two complete with ARF built long before the advice was given.

I understand silence isn't no action being taken, but I think most people would be interested to understand what is happening to keep the project alive?

We have been deliberately quiet on this subject until we have something very positive to say.
What I can say, is that we have been doing a LOT of work in this area, in the hardware design, software design, prototyping, testing and procurement.
I hope we have something to announce at the flyer show next week (and of course on this forum).
Until then I would like to keep my powder dry, I really don't want to create any kind of speculation, either positive or negative.
Please bear with us, and when I say we are doing a lot of work in this area - I really mean it.

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 10:43:30 am »
ohhhh you tease...  :P :P

Richard

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 04:40:24 pm »
I will be like an excited child on Christmas day. I can not wait !!!   8)
Richard.
Europa XS