Author Topic: First Time Booting  (Read 75474 times)

The Westmorland Flyer

Re: First Time Booting
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:26 am »
Apparently you need to save the settings to the cloud...
Thanks Lee, that fixed it.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 10:54:59 am »
Still playing with the laptop connection, which works... some of the time.

After a while (30mins to an hour) the WiFi connection to PAW just seems to go slow - updates to the status page can take 30 seconds or more. Shortly afterwards SD reports that it has lost GPS data or that the Flarm link is down (I guess it times out). Sometimes I can re-establish the link but usually I have to restart PAW.

I've tried all the other obvious things - disconnecting/reconnecting the WiFi link, restarting SD, rebooting the PC. None of these have any effect, whereas rebooting PAW always gets the Flarm link up again. I am therefore tentatively concluding that it is the PAW access point that is going slow. What is odd is that I don't see this problem on my iPad.

This is obviously low priority - I can't imagine many people are trying to use SD on a laptop with PAW. It's just a rather odd effect that might point to an issue somewhere.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

tomstorey

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 10:34:05 pm »
That should have read DHCP service rather than DHL service.
Thanks Carl.  I've connected on both android and ios now.
Tom

Shortwing

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 05:55:55 pm »
Has anyone got Runway HD to work? The instructions in the first page don't help unless I'm missing where to enter the code and password.  I'm connected to the unit but runway HD tells me I've failed to connect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:02:24 pm by Shortwing »

Admin

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 07:42:37 pm »
Has anyone got Runway HD to work? The instructions in the first page don't help unless I'm missing where to enter the code and password.  I'm connected to the unit but runway HD tells me I've failed to connect.

In my early version of RunwayHD system->flarm

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:16:50 pm by Admin »

AlanB

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 09:28:26 pm »

Have you downloaded the new version 3.3

In that case go into settings and there is a Flarm Setting half way down.

Other than secreting Flarm on and then PilotAware option I did little else.

Have you the GPS dongle in the Pilot Aware or are you using Collision Aware?
Europa XS Mode-S ADS-B out enabled.

Shortwing

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »
That's what I've done and using the app.

Admin

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 09:47:27 pm »
That's what I've done and using the app.

Are you on Android or iOS ?
Somebody mentioned that DHCP was not working for some Android tablets, and hence the unit did not get an IP address, can you check ?
if not, manually assign an ip of 192.168.1.10

Also can you browse to the mine web server ?
http://192.168.1.1

Thx
Lee

Chris-TT

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 08:10:28 pm »
I didn't even seem to need to select an operating system, it just started to extract PilotAware automatically. I thought everything had worked absolutely fine, as I was able to see the wifi hotspot. However it disappeared before I had a chance to connect. Now with a monitor attached it's not finding the wifi dongle. The dongle was really hot when I touched it, have a most likely got a dodgy one?

It was one mentioned in the recommended topic: "MINI WIFI USB WIRELESS ADAPTER DONGLE 150MBPS LAN NETWORK RASPBERRY PI 2 RT5370"

Shortwing

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »
Runway HD sorted, updated the pilotaware client software and problem solved.

iang

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »
Following several problems I have finally managed to get my system up and running so I thought I would share some of my experience with others

If you buy a SD memory card from EBay test it with a free program h2testw - if it fails once trash it but always test more than once.

Format the card with formatSD and remember to set the formater with the correct parameters and upload the latest version of the pilot aware software ( it has the latest bug fixes and works well).

I have found it is best to boot up for the first time either outside or somewhere where the system can get a signal and have a monitor on the raspberry pi so you can see what's happening.

Start up the pi and watch the screen it should finish with the immortal word OK.

Next it depends on if you are using android or iPad

Android
Download the app pilotaware, with the wifi option in the system settings to pilotaware-xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxx is you serial number)
Start up the new app and after a few minutes the app will start displaying Lat long etc

And there you are - just start up you nav program and set the flarm setting and you should be another winner.

iPad
Lee has already provided the info on this, but really it is about the same down load the app collision aware  with the wifi option in the system settings to pilotaware-xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxx is you serial number) Start the app and there should be a message at the top of the screen saying using collision aware

And there you are - just start up you nav program and set the flarm setting and you should be another winner.

aerial problems

While my system is working it is a bit shy of the 1090Mhz reception and I have decided this is down to the antenna so I have ordered a ADS-B Antenna 1090Mhz MCX Plug 2.5dbi gains Magnet +MCX Jack to SMA Jack Adapter from eBay item no:201385927239 and I will report on how it goes.

May I take this opertunaty in thanking everyone for the help I have received in building the unit and it great to eye how the whole idea is expanding

Iang

sky_high30

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2015, 11:15:35 pm »
I have an issue on boot whereby it appears to go OK, decides it can find a RT5730 Wireless adapter then goes through a script where repeated communication with "SER-ARF" is attempted. I did have an ARF Chip installed but took it off as my soldering was crap, and now it won't generate a wireless hotspot.

Using the latest release as well.

Admin

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 11:14:20 am »
I have an issue on boot whereby it appears to go OK, decides it can find a RT5730 Wireless adapter then goes through a script where repeated communication with "SER-ARF" is attempted. I did have an ARF Chip installed but took it off as my soldering was crap, and now it won't generate a wireless hotspot.

Using the latest release as well.

Hi
Please ignore the SER-ARF messages, it will attempt to talk to an ARF, and eventually give up, that is not an issue.

Q1. So to confirm, the issue you have is that you do not have a Wireless Hostspot appearing ?

Q2. From your description, it is unclear as to whether it previously generated a hotspot, and now no longer generates a hotspot, can you please clarify ?

Q3. Can you let us know where you purchased your RT5370, please post a link if available ?

Q4. Which USB slot is the RT5370 inserted ?

Thx
Lee

sky_high30

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:33 pm »
Hi Lee

No hotspot appearing

It did do - once - but I have been unable to provoke another one since

Think it was on Amazon, will dig out and revert but I have had it working in a different version of Linux - I'll try it on my laptop tomorrow

Can't remember which slot, is it specific?

It does give up but then the boot process hangs, I've left it for 10min and nothing happened

Screenshot follows shortly...

Admin

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 10:54:34 pm »
Skyhigh

You say you had it working on a different version of Linux,
I am presuming you had it workingvas a client ?
What we require is a soft access point, not client

Thx
Lee