Author Topic: Low Power RTL-SDR v2  (Read 4673 times)

AllanBirt

Low Power RTL-SDR v2
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:55:33 am »
Morning All

Just purchased one of these Low Power RTL-SDR v2 from this site https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

I received this yesterday and installed into my PA and its listed as Stratux LowPowerV2, all works fine see ADSB traffic from 300 miles away.

I've been looking at some of the screenshots for the new Rosetta, where people have had issues and I see the new RTL-SDR being listed as PilotAware SDR, so I was wondering what the differences are.

Kind Regards

Allan

Admin

Re: Low Power RTL-SDR v2
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:26:35 am »
I've been looking at some of the screenshots for the new Rosetta, where people have had issues and I see the new RTL-SDR being listed as PilotAware SDR, so I was wondering what the differences are.

Hi Allan,
if it truly is the v2 - then none at all.
We simply reload the EEPROM with the PilotAware name, rather than stratux

Thx
Lee

AllanBirt

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 11:48:12 am »
if it truly is the v2 - then none at all.
We simply reload the EEPROM with the PilotAware name, rather than stratux

Thanks Lee for clearing that up, yes its a true v2 direct from the manufacturer  ;D

I believe many other users have done the same by buying direct from the above website.

Are you able to PM the software and how to rename the EEPROM to PilotAware, also would this be the same name for the additional one required for WX.

Allan  :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:58:40 am by AllanBirt »

Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:41:39 pm »
Are you able to PM the software and how to rename the EEPROM to PilotAware, also would this be the same name for the additional one required for WX.

are you running 20180520 ?
this should rename automatically,
but may need a full install  :-\

AllanBirt

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:10:38 pm »
Hi Lee

Yes I'm running the latest software   ::)

I could do a full reinstall, but if this needs to be done when the new bridges become available for the Rosetta upgrade, I'll rather wait till then.

Unless this only need to be done once, and when the new bridge become available its just a swap over  :D :D

Regards
Allan

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:53:57 am »
Just a word of warning, the "Stratux low power V2" linked from the above page to Amazon doesn't actually take you to the Stratux Low Power V2 SDR dongles, it takes you to the standard Stratux ones. The Low Power V2 SDRs should have black PCBs as I understand it.

I believe these are the low power ones. Not sure if V1 or V2.

https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-1090ES-UAT-Radio-Power/dp/B01M69X5XI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?m=A1FY2FJYL6LK7D

Going to the "Return to shop" link from the link in the original post will take you to the shop to purchase the correct one(s).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:57:16 am by Paul_Sengupta »

AllanBirt

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:18 am »
Hi Paul

I just noticed that, if you purchase via Amazon link they look different, you also get two, but it does say on the website USA purchase.  8) 8)

If you purchase directly from their website and pay $16.95 like I did, you do get the Low Power RTL-SDR v2 (PCB black in colour), once connected to the PA it's listed as Stratux LowPowerV2, but as Lee has said above, after a full reinstall of the latest software this will change to PilotAware.

I've not tried this yet as I'm waiting for the rosetta upgrade to start, as I believe when you change the bridges over you are required to do a full reinstall, I just didn't want to do it twice.  ;D ;D

Strange thing is, I've just looked over some pictures a friend had sent me of his new rosetta, including the inside, and the RTL-SDR board looks like its blue in colour, is this the older v1 board???  ??? ???

Allan

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19:20 am »
Why would you need to do a full reinstall if the Bridge is changed? IIRC electrically it is exactly the same, isn't it?

AllanBirt

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 12:30:51 pm »
This was quoted by Keith Vinning on the Rosetta DIY upgrade under latest news, see below  ;)

To get all Rosetta units up to a common standard, you will need to undertake an SD card reformat and a full manual software installation.

So I have taken this as being the bridge is being replaced a full reinstall is required.

If this is not the case I am happy to format my SD card and do a fresh install with the latest software, although I done this with the last release version 20180129 as this had an update for the kernel.

Kind Regards

Allan

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:04:46 pm »
Wouldn't have though it mattered if you did it before or after.

Not sure how there will be a common standard for Rossetta as the Pi can be anything from a Pi B+ to a Pi3 B (B+). The Pi B+ orbiviously won't have audio or bearingless targets. wonder if there are any still out there in the wild?

AllanBirt

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 07:22:31 pm »
Just popped up to the airfield to grab my PA so that I can do a full install of the latest software and the new RTL-SDR v2 is actually blue not black. So the picture illustrated on their website is incorrect, or it's how the picture had been taken.

I have attached a picture of my unit.

Regards

Allan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:51:06 am by AllanBirt »