Author Topic: "No internet access detected, won't automatically connect" on Android tablet  (Read 4837 times)

Mat

This has been bugging me for a while, but I thought to note it down for further research after flying today.

My PilotAware works fine, but I have to go through the process of connecting to the WiFi hotspot on every aircraft start. This is because Android reports "No internet access detected, won't automatically connect" (and asks whether I want to stay connected, although the answer generally doesn't matter). Invariably, I forget until after I've asked SkyDemon to 'Go flying' and have to backtrack.

I guess - as the error message suggests - Google is figuring out the PilotAware doesn't offer Internet access and refusing to remember it for future reconnection. I'd much prefer if my tablet would jump straight on the WiFi hotspot as soon as it appears.

Has anyone worked around this one?

I can see potential solutions but (settings, additional app, etc.) each needs trying against the PilotAware unit which is in the aircraft so if someone's solved it already knowing how could be handy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:50:22 pm by Mat »

Ian Melville

Google, doesn't make a connection. Is this an Android device?

Normal cause of not switching to a hotspot is that it has found a better one nearby and will have to be changed to the PAW one regardless of Android IOS or Windows. Mine picks up the club house from the apron, and I have to force the selection (IOS). Not much you can do about it.

Deker

I read somewhere that the wifi will connect preferentially to a "passworded" hotspot.
My tablet first connects to the flying club wifi as this is passworded, then I connect to the PAW hotspot manually.
I'll have to put a password into the PAW to see if the tablet will connect automatically when there is more than one hotspot nearby.

Deker.

Ian Melville

Forgot to say.

"No Internet Access detected" is correct for a PAW Hotspot.

Admin

I read somewhere that the wifi will connect preferentially to a "passworded" hotspot.
My tablet first connects to the flying club wifi as this is passworded, then I connect to the PAW hotspot manually.
I'll have to put a password into the PAW to see if the tablet will connect automatically when there is more than one hotspot nearby.

Deker.

For iOS devices this is also my understanding
iOS will attempt to connect to the most secure hotspot.
There is no way in iOS to define a preference, other than to 'forget' networks and do not attempt connection at all.

Thx
Lee

AlanG

Hi Guys,
the clue is in the thread title, it's an Android tablet and there is a way round it cos I've done it.
I googled the question of no auto connect and came up with this answer:

A non-root solution which is a kind of hack tech. :P

Reboot phone, connect to the non-Internet Wifi;
Go to Settings and create a new user;
Continue, continue, and continue until you see "Checking connection";
As soon as you see "checking connection", switch off your phone;
Switch on your phone again, you will be in "Owner" user, keep it;
Toggle Wifi, and the exclamation mark should disappear quickly :)
Remove that new user or just leave it there;
I don't know why, but it works...

Worked for me and auto connects whenever i get away form the Airfield wifi.

You can go back and delete the new user after it works the first time.
 ;D

Alan

Ian Melville

Silly place to put that info  :-[

All that faff, to do what IOS does out of the box. I think Mat needs to confirm that his table is not locking onto a better WiFi due to being at home or near the clubhouse?

Mat

Sorry, I meant Android not Google. But yeah, it's an Android tablet which will preferentially connect to home or the club WiFi. I think the behaviour is the same when it's in the middle of nowhere.

I'll have to try AlanG's faff method and set a password. If that doesn't work, I'll look at a WiFi prioritisation app.

Cheers.

Smaragd

I find that if I switch on the PAW before the Android tablet, the Android connects automatically most times. If I switch on the Android first, I get the "won't automatically connect" message.