Author Topic: Too many announcements  (Read 7688 times)

Lerk

Too many announcements
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:14:58 am »
Coming back south close (but separated and aware) of Sutton bank, we were bombarded with adsb/p3i targets on the ground.  These were hiding the warnings of aircraft that we had spotted at similar levels.

I assume this will be an OGN-R station rebroadcasting, but the strange part of it is that I had separation set to 1000ft and we were @ 3500ft.  I even went into the config page on my phone and set the separation to 500ft but they still persisted.
After a minute of constant alerts, we pulled the plug on the audio to remove the distraction while we were in such busy airspace.

Any ideas why we were getting alerts that appeared to be outside my separation level?

exfirepro

Re: Too many announcements
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:02 am »
Lerk,

I would be surprised if you were getting such a large number of ADSB /P3i targets around Sutton Bank as to cause a nuisance - especially with your filters set to +/-1000ft.

First question - What PAW software version are you running and what Nav System are you using?

Second question - What was actually showing on your 'Nav Display' ? If the 'targets' were aircraft being rebroadcast via OGN-R, they would show as either 'UP-OGN' or 'G-' depending on your PAW software version. Or was it just the Sutton Bank Ground Station itself ? Ground stations normally show as 'G-STN'?

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:00 am »
Hi Lerk

Follow up to Peter
Please post your 'Home' and 'Configure' pages, this should tell us everything we need to know

At some point, I may ask if I can get your track file for the flight in question.
Thx
Lee

Lerk

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:34:28 pm »
I'll boot it up and grab the screenshots when I get home from work later.

I assume the track file will be lurking on the SD card somewhere Lee?

The targets I could see when interrogated on SkyDemon were in the format "Glider ##"

As an added snippet of info - I remember now that we were getting lots of bearingless alerts early into the outbound flight, which resulted in me switching off the bearingless mode option from the config page, I wonder if the two are somehow connected - The unit was left running at our midpoint stop.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:51:54 pm »
I assume the track file will be lurking on the SD card somewhere Lee?
yes

As an added snippet of info - I remember now that we were getting lots of bearingless alerts early into the outbound flight, which resulted in me switching off the bearingless mode option from the config page, I wonder if the two are somehow connected - The unit was left running at our midpoint stop.
A lot of work has gone into 20180520 to improve the audio repeated messages - depends which version you were on

Thx
Lee

Lerk

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 03:17:49 pm »
I haven’t upgraded since I bought it a month ago so sounds like that could be the first thing to do!

Lerk

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 07:44:20 am »

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:31:46 am »
The targets I could see when interrogated on SkyDemon were in the format "Glider ##"

Lee, I havent seen that message format from PAW or OGN-R, is that one of our messages?

BobD

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 09:05:15 am »
A lot of work has gone into 20180520 to improve the audio repeated messages - depends which version you were on

Hi Lee,
Have I missed the announcement of this release, or is it Beta ?

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:05:50 am »

Hi Lee,
Have I missed the announcement of this release, or is it Beta ?

No you haven't missed it Bob, its up on the website, but have not yet sent any notifications

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 11:25:00 am »
Lerk,

From your screenshots:

Home screen looks as I would expect - as always, it will be worth updating your software once 20180520 is 'officially' released.

The 'Red' indicators are simply reflecting the fact that your unit had only been 'up' for 2 minutes when you took the screengrabs. PilotAware won't let the Bridge start transmitting until the GPS has found enough satellites and established its location.

From the Configure Screen, I see you currently have Mode C/S set to +/- 1000ft and Ultra-Short Range, but you have Mode C/S Select set to 'None' so you won't get any bearingless targets - though I think you already knew that. The Configure Screen layout has been 'improved' in the new version by the way, to make settings a bit more intuitive.

Otherwise, I can see nothing here that would cause your problem.

How about your Nav system - which one are you using and at what settings?

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 11:26:23 am »

Lee, I havent seen that message format from PAW or OGN-R, is that one of our messages?

No, we do not use that message, all messeges are of the form

'Traffic [notice/alert/danger] ...'

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:35 pm »

No, we do not use that message, all messeges are of the form

'Traffic [notice/alert/danger] ...'

I took it from the word 'Seen' that Lerk was talking about on screen messages, where I would expect to see 'UP/OGN'

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:11 pm »
Ian / Lee,

IIRC we changed 'Up-OGN' to 'G---' in Test Release 20180122, so that would have migrated into the Release 20180129, which Lerk is running.

Regards

Peter

Lerk

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 04:57:18 pm »
On Sunday PilotAware was connected to a Anker power pack, audio output running to headset splitter and wifi to android tablet running SkyDemon.

I'm second guessing myself now as to whether it was G# or Glider# but this was seen if we tapped on the contact on Skydemon to get to the "Whats here?" page.
Skydemon itself never warned of any of the contacts, but we were getting audio warnings from PAW with altitudes of ground level.

I'm glad I've got my understanding of the sensitivity settings the right way around!

I've got my SD card in my computer having a look and can't see an obvious log folder where are they hiding Lee?