Author Topic: Flarm mouse  (Read 3031 times)

Gary Nelson

Flarm mouse
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:23:05 am »
A 9 month old spare Flarm mouse was going at less than half price so I bought it and just yesterday  added it to my (excellent) Pilot Aware set-up. This was primarily so gliders can now see me, but also to pick up gliders when not in an OGN area. I use Sky Demon.

1.   The Flarm GPS spends most of time saying zero satellite fixes unlike my Pilot Aware GPS extension mouse which had a more or less perfect record at fixing on satellites. Having looked at these forums am I correct in thinking I can simply re-plug in my Pilot Aware GPS extension mouse and Pilot Aware will automatically use that for GPS and ignore the GPS on the Flarm mouse?

2.   If I am in an OGN area I assume I wont see a duplicate glider (one from the Flarm and one from the OGN) but can anyone clarify?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:27:11 am by Gaz »

Richard

Re: Flarm mouse
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:44:10 am »
Hi,
  Is your flarm mouse (FLARM) firmware up-to date as it stops working if it is not updated. (Its free)
Richard.
Europa XS

PaulRuskin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:18 am »
To your second question:  No, you won't see a duplicate.  It will have the same ID and the PilotAware will de-duplicate it.

Paul

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:15:25 am »
1st question is, yes just plug it in and the GPS mouse will take over.

You do need to update the FLARM every 12 months for it to keep working, so worth checking.

I found the FLARM mouse next to useless. The GPS was not as good as the ones used by PAW. The range that gliders were detected was a lot less than 3km.

If you are in an area that is covered by OGN this is a far better solution? If not, can you get someone interested in ground installation?

Gary Nelson

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 01:10:12 pm »
Ian Melville wrote: If you are in an area that is covered by OGN this is a far better solution? If not, can you get someone interested in ground installation?

Ian  - noted with thanks but by actually having Flarm means the gliders may see you, and also in a non OGN area you may still see and be seen by gliders.

NB:  Re a ground installation, I fly out of Plaistows just off junction 6 of the M1 and west of St Albans. We have the Luton zone to north and Heathrow to south. As such have never seen a glider venture to our vicinity. The nearest gliders are based at the London Gliding Club on north west of the Luton zone but they are already covered by their own OGN.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:36:55 pm by Gary Nelson »

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 05:45:47 pm »

The nearest gliders are based at the London Gliding Club on north west of the Luton zone but they are already covered by their own OGN.

Unfortunately not so. The London Gliding club does have an OGN station but unfortunately it has not been upgraded to OGN-R so will NOT rebroadcast their positions to PilotAware users in this area.

The upgrade can be done for about £120. If anyone has friends there who can be influenced to upgrade to OGN-R then that would be great