Author Topic: PilotAware possibly showing as two aircraft to ATC?  (Read 2929 times)

Chris-TT

PilotAware possibly showing as two aircraft to ATC?
« on: May 04, 2018, 06:19:26 pm »
I've never had this issue before, but yesterday while getting a traffic service from Boscombe Zone, I was asked if I was flying in formation with another aircraft. I replied saying that I wasn't, and the controller said it was weird as another aircraft had been following indicating about 200ft separation. I've never encountered this before, the HEX is set to the aircraft. PilotAware is the only thing I could think of as to why it was showing two aircraft, but I'm not quite sure why. Any ideas?

Ian Melville

Re: PilotAware possibly showing as two aircraft to ATC?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:48 pm »
Boscombe Radar is not capable of receiving Pilot Awares P3i signal.

You don't say what your PAW set up is. Is there a link for GPS fed to your transponder?

Chris-TT

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:04:12 am »
Its not hardwired into my aircraft, I bought the premade unit from Pilotaware, I updraded the GPS dongle to a gps mouse, but thats the only alteration. It lives in the back of the aircraft powered by a powerbank with the Pilotaware unit and all the aerials mounted ontop.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:10 am »
Won't be an issue with PilotAware then.

Wiythout further info on your transponder I cannot comment on that, but I suspect it is Boscombe that has an issue not you  :) If no other ATS report anything is amiss then I would forget about it.

Chris-TT

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 03:49:29 pm »
Thanks, I might pop back up tomorrow since we seem to be having a spell of decent weather, and see if the same problem occurs.