Author Topic: Do not Forget the HEX Code  (Read 4422 times)

Richard

Do not Forget the HEX Code
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:11 pm »
Just reminder, but while testing two PilotAwre units today at home after updating to the recent release. I Could not understand why the two PAW units could not see each other. Then I realised I have to change the HEX Code in the web interface settings... Silly Me.

This made me think.... If a few of us forget to enter the HEX code for our aircraft and go fly, We now have a problem as we will not see each other.

Is there a fool proof way to get around this just incase a few of us forget in time to set up PAW correctly after an update?

For Pilots that hire club aircraft you will have to put in the HEX code of the aircraft you are going to fly. Just if you don't know where to find it. Just do a search for your aircraft on the CAA website G-INFO and it is listed for your aircraft.

https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

Re: Do not Forget the HEX Code
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:17:43 pm »
A code of 000000 will cause a unique value to be set based upon your dongle address,
I am guessing you duplicated your sd card ?

Richard

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:45 pm »
Lee,
   I installed on two different cards from one download zip.  I may have found a problem I don't understand.

OK, I have one PAW device setup with licence key (double checked its the correct for that wifi dongle)
I have a second device setup with the licence key for that device. Both device setup with the other turned off.

OK The test. so using 2 Ipads i should be able to see each other within the same room ?

No they can not. Strange it worked yesterday! I opened the web interface with both devices running and the licence key has changed to the same licence key on both devices.

OK, I tryed it again and the same thing happens. Its got me confused. When it worked yesterday, I had one device outside receiving GPS through the u-Blox7 and on my PC and the other using location services on the Ipad. I will try this setup again tomorrow to see if it works ok again.
Richard.
Europa XS

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:45:02 pm »
Each iPad connected to a different PAW access point? By default I think they connect to them in alphabetical order if there is a choice of known APs, so if one of the iPads has been connected to both after a PAW reboot both might be on the same PAW box? Worth checking.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Richard

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:46:58 pm »
OK, I got each pilot aware to work as two independent units at home. I just did a forget network on each Ipad seemed to sort it out.

OK, now next problem. I can not get each PAW box to see each other. I have the HEX set as my correct aircraft in one box and the other set to 000000 default which generates a code. Both units are seeing ADS-B traffic no problems, all seems to be OK.

Looking at the web interface the ADS is TXR transmitting but the RTX (0) nothing received, this is on both PAW. This is strange as it worked OK 2 days ago but nothing now. the PAW can not see each other, I have not altered anything. Any Ideas? Latest version 003
Richard.
Europa XS

ianfallon

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:18:09 pm »
Are they very close together ? Might be swamping the ARF frequency ?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:04:33 pm »
you need a fair old distance between them like 30 ft, otherwise the receiver is swamped