Author Topic: Rosetta  (Read 11920 times)

PaulSS

Rosetta
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:15:33 pm »
Well, we can't just have this hidden where we can't comment  :)

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1248.0.html

I think the 80mm display will be very interesting. Shame I won't be at Popham to have a butchers.

Seanhump

Re: Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:42:23 pm »
Looks interesting … be good to see the updated specs etc on the PAW site...
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:06:01 am »
Paul / Sean,

I was priveledged to be present at an advanced viewing yesterday evening. It’s an extremely nice bit of kit. Very professionally designed and developed by our colleague James Rose (who designed the Radar 3D app) and with some excellent potential future development opportunities. Watch this space.

Regards

Peter

Kevin W

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:06:00 am »
Hi All

The unit looks good, looking forward to finding out more.

Some questions from the announcement if I may, trying to covert the marketing speak back to technology :)

"Upgraded Processor" - So moving on to the Pi 3B or Pi 3 B+ I assume?  Using the built in wifi will be good, one less dongle?

"Low Noise Receiver" - A better spec'ed SDR dongle or changes to the P3I radio chip?

"New P3i Radio Bridge" - What are the changes on the bridge?

"Upgradable to UAT Weather" - so the addition of a second SDR, and the ability to do GDL90 out?  Will that be applicable to the current hardware version?

Cheers
Kev

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:17:47 pm »
To a Pi3B, the later plus version is not compatible with present software.... yet
Bridge has been altered to fit the supplied case and allow clearance for second antenna socket, not aware of any other changes.
UAT weather requires a second SDR and coax splitter to avoid a third antenna. GDL90 available for classic versions of PAW now. Note: UAT transmissions are only on trial in limited locations.

Kevin W

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:22:00 pm »
Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

GDL90 doesn't appear to work on v20180129 - at least when I set SkyDemon to "other GDL90 compatible devices' it can't find a GPS signal from PilotAware when I press Go Flying?

Any thoughts on what the upgrade path will be for current PAW users? 
  • Buy another SDR and aerial spliter - that's a given. 
  • Buy a Pi 3B - mandatory, recommended or optional?
  • Buy a different license, etc?
Sorry, I appreciate these are maybe some what frustrating questions to a team that are busy trying to get a new product released,  but I am both keen to get UAT weather, generally a keen explorer of technology, and lacking in patience sometimes :)

Cheers
Kev

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 05:39:43 pm »
Hi Kevin

You are correct we have been working hard at getting Rosetta out and preparing for Popham.
At Popham Rosetta was very well received and there was a lot of interest in an upgrade path.
We are working on this and should be able to announce something in a couple of weeks.
We don't want too many variants.
A new bridge, case, antenna, RTL-SDR pigtail and label are required as a minimum plus a second RTL-SDR and different pigtail if weather is required.
We recognise that not all people will want weather at least until its past the trial stage.
In true PilotAware fashion we will be doing a trade in with the old stuff to bring it up to Rosetta standard but w haven't finalised the process yet.
We will post out on the forum and the facebook page when this has been finalised.

Cheers

Keith

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 01:27:18 am »
One thing to bear in mind is that GDL90 currently doesn't do bearingless traffic, so you'll lose Mode C and non-ADS-B Mode S traffic, at least in the implementation on Sky Demon, I don't know about other software.

No, GDL90 isn't on the public release yet, the dichotomy of the bearingless vs. traffic thing is one thing which is perhaps holding it back at present while it's decided on the best way forward.

The "engineering beta" software does both Flarm (which does bearingless but not weather) and GDL90 (which does weather but not bearingless) so you can choose, but it might cause confusion at this point.

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 08:05:28 am »
Paul is correct. There is a current trade off between weather and mode CS
This needs to be explained to allow users to make an informed decision.

PaulSS

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 10:27:35 am »
Any examples of the traffic display for us to see anywhere? I'm afraid Popham would have been a bit of a hike  :(

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 11:29:57 am »
Hi All,

One thing to bear in mind is that GDL90 currently doesn't do bearingless traffic, so you'll lose Mode C and non-ADS-B Mode S traffic, at least in the implementation on Sky Demon, I don't know about other software.

As some of you will know, my ‘real’ role in the PilotAware Team (as opposed to the time I spend on here) is ‘flight-testing’ and reporting on hardware and software development. In this role, I flew down from Scotland to Wellesbourne on Thursday (en route to Popham) running the latest development software in a pre-production ‘Rosetta + Weather’ unit, feeding into SkyDemon via the PilotAware UDP protocol (with Bearingless target display). It ran faultlessly all the way with, by the way, considerably improved Bearingless target audio reporting which will be a real boon - hopefully in the next release (thanks Lee).

After popping over to Sywell on Friday afternoon and dropping in at Turweston (to see their new ‘PilotAware Radar’ in action) I then changed connectivity to GDL90 for the flight to Popham to test weather reception past WAP. I also used GDL90 all day Monday for a flight from Popham along the South Coast, then round via Redhill to Damyns Hall.

Paul is quite correct about the loss of Bearingless Target Visual Alerts when using GDL90, and prior to these test flights, I was extremely concerned about ‘losing’ these visual warnings on SkyDemon (and have expressed my concerns to Tim D about this on several occasions), but what I had forgotten was that you still get the Audio Alerts for Bearingless Targets straight from PilotAware. After a short time using GDL90 in a high density of Mode C/S aircraft, I realised that not having the visual ‘rings’ reduced potential distraction and forced me to look for the aircraft outside, rather than on the screen - so it’s not necessarily such a bad thing - as long as you don’t miss the relative altitude in the audio message. I will reserve judgement while development continues.

Regards all

Peter

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:07:56 pm by exfirepro »

Seanhump

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:29 pm »
We need a 'Like' button...

Good stuff in the pipeline by the sounds of things.
(shout if you need help testing  - I've got some looooong days coming up in the Heli …)
Pilotaware user ...

Kevin W

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 09:03:54 pm »
Ditto, I have a two ship 3,000 mile round trip to Dubrovnik in less than a month if you need some testing :)

Keithvinning

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 08:26:10 am »
Hi Kevin

You cant get weather transmissions in Birmingham let alone Croatia :-) Its only a small trial remember.

Have fun are there any airstrips on any of the Croatian islands?

Kevin W

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 01:08:16 pm »
Hehe, 2 transits through the South of England to pick up the weather :)

Mainly big airfields in Croatia, but GA etc generally welcome.  Im told the run down past the dalmation coast is fantastic!

Cheers
Kev