Author Topic: SkyEcho 2  (Read 6444 times)

PaulSS

SkyEcho 2
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:06:31 am »
I'm sure there's quite a few of us who have seen this bit of kit by now and at first glance it looks quite attractive. Obviously it receives both frequencies (1090/978), so can get weather as well as ADSB. They claim to be able to receive Mode C/S. It's in a neat one box, one solution (with internal antennas), has a pimped GPS for a better SIL and they've got the price in the 'doable' bracket.

There are still a couple of unanswered questions; the main ones being can it be used while still squawking Mode S and what apps can it be used with.

What I found interesting was the blurb on the website which states:

Additional optional functionality available for purchase:

Internal AHRS available via GDL 90 for synthetic vision and attitude indicator capabilities on EFB apps.
External receivers for additional traffic types such as PilotAware™ and FLARM™
LCD traffic warning display
Flight Data Recorder

Can anyone from the PAW team give us any idea of what the SkyEcho people are talking about with "External receivers for additional traffic types such as PilotAware™ and FLARM™"? Is this the first you've heard of it or is there really an integration of PAW features into the SkyEcho2? I notice the SE2 has the facility to receive Bluetooth and USB C but neither of those seem to apply to PAW, so I was wondering how these 'external receivers' (whatever they mean by that) are actually going to communicate with their box of tricks.

Certainly interesting times ahead, as people say when these gadgets appear  :)

Admin

Re: SkyEcho 2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 04:30:06 pm »
Additional optional functionality available for purchase:
Internal AHRS available via GDL 90 for synthetic vision and attitude indicator capabilities on EFB apps.
External receivers for additional traffic types such as PilotAware™ and FLARM™
LCD traffic warning display
Flight Data Recorder

Can anyone from the PAW team give us any idea of what the SkyEcho people are talking about with "External receivers for additional traffic types such as PilotAware™ and FLARM™"? Is this the first you've heard of it or is there really an integration of PAW features into the SkyEcho2? I notice the SE2 has the facility to receive Bluetooth and USB C but neither of those seem to apply to PAW, so I was wondering how these 'external receivers' (whatever they mean by that) are actually going to communicate with their box of tricks.

Hi Paul
We have absolutely no idea, nobody has contacted us from uAvionix regarding this, so couldn't possibly comment.
Having said that, the Protocol is in the public domain, and is not encrypted, so nothing stopping them from decoding the data.

I think the more interesting issue is how the Mode-C/S data will be reported to the user ?
SkyDemon will not support Mode-C/S over GDL90, I have requested this information in the past, so not sure if SkyDemon and uAvionix are doing some proprietary addition to GDL90 - which is part of the GDL90 specification.

Thx
Lee

SGS66

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:54:04 pm »
Hi, Just an update on mode c/s. There is still an impasse today between SD and SE2 on bearingless targets

neilmurg

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:31:45 am »
Hi, Just an update on mode c/s. There is still an impasse today between SD and SE2 on bearingless targets
Just to expand on that a bit;
AFAIK the mode C/S detection is still not released on the SE2,
SD have expressed a preference not to show bearingless targets, and the GDL protocol still doesn't support them (PAw audio will still announce them),
no PAw detection on SE2
you can receive FLARM directly at a cost of £30pa for a license (range may be an issue)
legally you're not allowed to use SE2 ADS-B and a transponder, and you HAVE to use a transponder if it is fitted.

Having said all that, it's not a bad bit of self contained kit in the interim, but costlier and limited to ADS-B targets (+FLARM for a license). It does pick up in-flight weather in the UK from the 5 test stations in the southeast of England (as Lee says, FLARM or weather, not both)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:16:22 pm by neilmurg »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:22 pm »
It does pick up in-flight weather in the UK from the 5 test stations in the southeast of England

But ONLY if you are not receiving FLARM as I understand - it is limited to 2 Receivers.
Flarm or UAT/Weather

Thx
Lee

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 07:35:05 pm »
Lee
Regarding SkyEcho 2. I'm using it as well as my trusty PAW but only use it as the following.
I've just set it as ADS-B Out as I have no Tpx. It transmits that reliably with 7000 Squawk.
PAW is used in collaboration with SkyDemon and mainly reports conflicts via Audio connection.
PAW is solid and allows me even more conspicuity in both IN/OUT with FLARM and other PAW Users.
Have I gone mad?

My SkyEcho has just been changed by Uavionix as the initial builds may have not always transmitted my data.
It was FOC and done very efficiently.

A FR24 trace from a few days ago. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-dace#1fa01fc3

Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:59:17 am »
A FR24 trace from a few days ago. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-dace#1fa01fc3

Hi Gerry
I don't see this unfortunately, guess a subscription is required ?
Thx
Lee

neilmurg

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:22:25 pm »
yes only 7 days history i think unless you have a subscription, flight was 26/2/19

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 12:31:49 pm »
Thanks Neil.
Another version attached.
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England