Author Topic: Throttle 0x5000 - but all Recomended Hw  (Read 4458 times)

AlanK

Throttle 0x5000 - but all Recomended Hw
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:24:22 am »
Have been having a problem seeing my friends Sky Echo/ADSB signal when flying and not sure if it’s my reception or his transmission as it’s intermittent.

I could see other aircraft on Sky Demon in area but not sure if they were PAW devices and when playing with settings on ground it showed ADSB traffic when opening the range but by this time the main page no Longer had a red ADSB box and 5000 message (had been rebooted).

Using the supplied cable and Anker 20000 usb charging pack.

Any ideas what to check or how best to log in flight to track down on the ground.

AlanK

Re: Throttle 0x5000 - but all Recomended Hw
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:25:37 am »
Image of ADSB not showing. Previous screenshot was all working fine.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:11:50 am »
Hi Alan

Adsb has received 25,000 messages, the red indicates zero messages in last 5 seconds
Did this persist, or was it momentarily?

The logging page may give additional info

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:16:39 am by Admin »

AlanK

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:03:32 am »
The reception of adsb certainly works usually and when checking after a reboot could see aircraft at 30000 above us on PAW. Radar view.  But when flying it’s filtered and whilst I could see local aircraft they may have been PAW or ADSB hits as no way to tell from Sky demon. (Open cockpit so don’t touch it much in air). The flexwing I was flying with was definitely ADSB only and would come and go.

Sitting on ground first time I was parked behind him getting the throttle screen shot and couldn’t see him 20ft away so unsure what was at fault.  inclined to think it’s the skyecho device he is running that’s at fault but thought I would find out how best to review to make sure. Especially given the throttle message.

Nothing is ticked under logging so if tell me how best to setup I’ll do that next time.

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »
SkyEcho could be blanked by airframe if you are directly behind, or engine if another flexwing. Can happen to any low power TX without a optimal antenna position. Reception can also be affected the same way.

0x5000 is under voltage has occurred, but not currently throttled.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:20:22 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 08:35:34 pm »
Hi Alan,

Certainly no ADSB reports on your second screenshot, despite your unit having been running for almost 2 hours. You say you were flying with a colleague running SkyEcho. My GT has full ADSB out via a Mode S Transponder and PilotAware. I also have a SkyEcho, though for obvious reasons I don’t use it very often (mainly for testing or if flying an unequipped aircraft). It does however give me a good knowledge of how SkyEcho operates.

I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks back visiting a local airfield, where an acquaintance reported that his aircraft which was running a SkyEcho was reportedly not showing on ADSB. Checking his SkyEcho setup using the uAvionix app, it turned out that he had Vso set at 90 Knots - which means that SkyEcho won’t start transmitting until his aircraft exceeds that speed. Worth getting your mate to check his settings just in case.

My other thought is that a problem might have developed with your 1090MHz antenna or cable. This can be easily checked by replacing the antenna and cable by a length of thin wire (bare wire or thin electrical cable). Anything will do as long as it is thin enough to fit into the centre of the RTLSDR dongle antenna socket. Just make sure it isn’t short circuiting to the outside of the socket. Even a thin paper clip bent straight is enough to receive strong ADSB signals from commercial aircraft.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:56:07 am by exfirepro »

AlanK

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »
Cheers Peter.

It’s up at the field so will try this next time I’m up. 

Is there a way to differentiate adsb/PAW on Sky demon view so I can getter better idea in flight?

As for the Sky echo device, it was set at 70 I think as they came configured at 40 or something like that but several were having problems... starting to think they still are!

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:10 am »
Hi again Alan,

Is there a way to differentiate adsb/PAW on Sky demon view so I can getter better idea in flight?

Unfortunately not in SkyDemon, but if you select your PAW Traffic Screen, you will see the traffic source codes listed. C and S are self explanatory, ADSB shows as CSA and PilotAware as P. If an aircraft has ADSB via a Mode S Transponder (like mine) and PilotAware, it will show as CSAP.

You can either take a look on the ground or connect a second device - even an old smartphone - to your PAW for use alongside your SD tablet to check the traffic or for PilotAware Radar. Just don’t get drawn in and forget to maintain a good lookout.  ;)  :)

The Traffic Table by the way should be regarded as a collection and sorting ‘bin’ - not all traffic on the lists will appear on your display, depending on system selections and filter settings. Oh and make sure your relative altitude filters in SD are set wide enough (Show Within Vertically in SD Setup/ Navigation Options) and also the adjacent ‘Show Bearingless Targets’ if you have Mode CS selected in PilotAware.

Regards

Peter

AlanK

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:27:08 am »
Yeah good shout, will do a local flight next time without SD and just leave the traffic screen up so I can see what its picking up throughout the flight.  It certainly gets ADSB when testing on the ground from time to time (going by the altitudes of hits, but as you say though SD I have filtered down to +/-2K ft so aircraft when flying could be either).  Its this intermittent aspect that has me wondering if its working consistently in the air so if I have that screen up I should get an idea if its going up and down.

I was actually trying to test the Transponder connection on the old FW version of Transponder after this but it was a non starter as couldn't even get into the settings menu of the transponder to set up the new squitter with our reg.  It just kept warning about no cradle therefore AC mode only :(      FW issue even here as do this on another AC and can get into settings menu without issue.

That's before even trying to get it to work with PAW so at moment it looks like no ADSB out and I have a brand new FUNKE squitter and USB connection lead for sale if anyone on here is needing one...

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:30:37 pm »
As for the Sky echo device, it was set at 70 I think as they came configured at 40 or something like that but several were having problems... starting to think they still are!

Sky Echo will be running on groundspeed, so if you are batting into wind, you could easily be making less than 70 kt in a flexwing. 

R

AlanK

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 06:58:41 pm »
Fair point. Will get him to check that.  Was 30 Gwen first trying them but wasn’t working great then either (just between Sky echos)

AlanK

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:50 pm »
No improvement with the Sky Echo device but was seeing plenty ADSB traffic so I think I will blame their device for the lack of visibility.

Will continue to review with him next time Im out

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 05:42:10 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Alan,

Glad you’re now getting ADSB. Your mate’s SkyEcho should work as long as Vso is set realistically, though there might of course be other dodgy settings. If you’re not sure I can certainly check against mine for you.

Best Regards

Peter