Author Topic: Totally Confused  (Read 10539 times)

Admin

Re: Totally Confused
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 07:13:47 pm »
Hi Colin

Where are you based?

Thx
Lee

Chapmancj

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:04 am »
Hi there Ian, Tried it all again this morning to no avail, Being new to this forum I will attempt to send screen shots I have taken this morning with PAW powered up, logged onto unit and USB stick installed, in the last image you will see the thin blue progress line underneath the URL 192 etc, that just keeps zipping across every few seconds, hope this helps.
Many thanks in anticipation
regards
Coln

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 01:11:32 pm »
Hi Colin,

Unfortunately your current Software version doesn’t show on the Home Screenshots as the top bit of the screen is missing. Can you confirm what version you are using. The reason I ask as it looks like PAW isn’t seeing your memory stick - which would be the case if your version is older than 20160820, which was the version which first applied the USB stick reader. The other possibility is that you are ‘mis-timing’ clicking on the ‘Check for Updates’ button. You need to click it just before the blue line starts to cross. If you have ‘caught’ it correctly, the line will go across fairly slowly as PAW runs the check. If it zooms across quickly, the check isn’t running and you need to try again.

If this still doesn’t work, can you have another try using the Ethernet method, this time powering down and removing ALL the dongles before connecting to your router with your Ethernet cable and then powering your PAW back up. Make sure you leave it connected to the router for at least half an hour. Remember this WON’T ‘do’ the update, it will just download the update onto the ‘Updates’ Screen ready for installation. You may still need to ‘Check for Updates’ after powering down and removing your Ethernet, replacing all the dongles, re-powering up your PAW and reconnecting to the ‘Updates’ Screen. This should definitely work even if the USB method doesn’t, unless there is some sort of conflict or security issue with your router. Can you try a different (e.g. friend’s) router?. The only other option would be to try a full software install, which requires the microSD card to be reformatted first using SDFormatter using the ‘Full Overwrite and Size Adjustment ‘On’ Option.

If you want to try this option (which will also update your PAW to the most recent software ‘Kernel’), please make sure you have a note of your licence code and configure settings before wiping the card as you will need to reinstall them after the update. If you need help I can talk you through it.

p.s. you didn’t say where you are? We might be able to get someone local to help.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:23:00 pm by exfirepro »

Chapmancj

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 02:37:41 pm »
Hi Gents, very impressed with all your suggestions coming in so thank you for that, I'm a bit tied up for a couple of hours so I will get back with software version etc and attempt again with suggestions given, watch this space
Regards
Colin
Ps I live in Oswestry Shropshire
My plane is hangered at EGCV. Sleap airfield.

Admin

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 03:09:09 pm »
Hi Colin
If you don’t resolve, pls send me a PM, I will format and send a card
You can send your old one to me

Thx
Lee

Chapmancj

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 04:33:30 pm »
Hi Gents, just tried again using USB trying to catch the thin blue line at various stages as suggested....no joy
I have now connected PAW with all dongles removed and will wait thirty minutes as suggested.
My PAW version is 20180129 License expires 20180418
Incidentally the file downloaded has the icon Internet Explorer labelled pilotaware  14.5Mb, does that sound right to you?
kind regards
Colin

Chapmancj

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
Hi Gents me again, just tried update having had the unit connected without any dongles attached using the ethernet cable,
waited 40 minutes, re-inserted dongles powered back up, connected and logged onto PAW via the 192 etc, home screen appears, checked for updates and nothing happens apart from the zipping blue line which I have checking at various stages of the blue line business, there is this time however a message that appears momentarily when you have taqpped on the check for updates field which is only on for a second at best so have had to activate it many times to catch what it is saying word by word, it states the following:-
checking for updates /root/servers/check.sh: can not access update details
could it be windows 10 or my kaspersky anti virus blocking something?
at least its raining so not much else to do!!
hope the info helps guys, really do appreciate it.
colin

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »
My PAW version is 20180129

You're already on the latest software...that's why you're having problems finding an update!  ;D

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 07:51:20 pm »
Somewhere along the line your software upgrade must have worked.

License expires 20180418

Is it this which you're concerned about? If so, the licence renewal is here:

https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/

Click on "Renew your key".

Chapmancj

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 07:58:08 pm »
Many thanks Paul, don't I feel a complete idiot!! The fact that I received an email recently from PAW and a lot of my fellow pilot club members had all updated recently, I naturally assumed my unit needed updating as well, blimey, the time I've wasted on this, well, thanks again and many thanks to all those who responded to try and sort this out, I bet you're all laughing your socks off, and I wouldn't blame you, thanks again,
Safe flying
Regards
Colin

exfirepro

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
Hi Colin,

I have been out to tea with my daughter and Grandkids, so missed the above, but see Paul has put you right. Certainly not laughing! We can all make mistakes and we can all learn from this one. Just glad we’ve finally got to the bottom of the situation and that your PilotAware is good to go.

Just don’t forget to update your licence key.

Best regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 03:13:07 am »
The thing is, if it weren't for issues like this, some people may remain baffled. The forum isn't just for weirdly strange things featured by obscure problems, it's here for people to learn, even if it takes someone to have a "D'oh!" moment for this to happen. In the meantime lots of people might have learnt a bit more about software upgrades, licensing, and know what the latest software is without having to go looking.

So maybe a little chuckle, but not at you, but more at the ease at which this was eventually "resolved"!  8)

Ian Melville

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:32 am »
I bet you're all laughing your socks off, and I wouldn't blame you, thanks again,

Actually, no.

Lee is it possible to have a "You are running the latest software version" message?

Chapmancj

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 08:51:01 am »
Thanks to all for your kind remarks, certainly was a learning curve, still do not know how it happened if it happened as I never got chance to tap on the install field!! however, it's not quite over yet! Could someone point me in the direction as to where I get and renew the license key? as Pete has intimated.
Forgot to say along the way, to all designers of the PAW system what a great piece of kit this is and has enhanced flight safety enormously just as Nav software like SD has (others are available).
Many thanks once again.
Regards
Colin

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 09:00:35 am »
Colin,

If you look back at one of Paul’s earlier posts, - the site is https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk from a normal internet attached tablet or pc - not while connected to PAW.

Click on the ‘Renew Your Key’ button, this will take you to the payment page and once you have paid, the new licence key will be e-mailed to you automatically. You the need to delete the old key and replace it with the new one on the PAW ‘Configure’ Screen then ‘Save’ it with the button at the bottom of the screen.

Ian, I like your idea of a ‘You are running the latest software version’ message  :) That would certainly have saved Colin a lot of grief.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:04:03 am by exfirepro »