Author Topic: Totally Confused  (Read 10549 times)

GT

Totally Confused
« on: March 08, 2018, 09:18:06 am »
Guys

I have just down loaded the new update onto the SD Card and popped it back into the unit, I have let it load up, I a steady red light near the SD Card and the gps is flashing green

My tablet cannot pick up the pilotaware.... im really confused with this???

However, I cannot seem to get to the configuration page, as I when I type in the address its send me to the talktalk router, and from there I do not know what to do.

I have read the documentation, i have watched the videos, and i am no further forward.

The daft thing is, when i purchased this last year, i did it know problem... however this year , im stuck

Can someone spell it out to me, in very basic terms of what to do, cus im really stumped

Regards
GT

alan_d

Re: Totally Confused
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 11:00:51 am »
It sounds like your tablet is not connected to the PAW WiFi hotspot.
From the tablet's WiFi settings, can you see a 'PilotAwareXXXX' network ?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:35:30 am »
If you're not seeing the PilotAware wifi come up in your tablet's wifi list, it sounds like something went wrong with the software load. If you're just updating, is there a reason you started from scratch and didn't use the USB stick method of updating?

When starting from scratch, I assume you used the correct card formatter and so on?

When you first boot up the PI from a new load on the card, it takes a good while to repartition itself and install the software, during which time the power must not be interrupted. You should get the Wifi come back at some point.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:37:20 am by Paul_Sengupta »

GT

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 01:35:05 pm »
Hi

i have managed to update the software....

but i cannot access the pages for setting up the pilotaware.... i just keep ending up on the talk talk router

what do I do

gt

GT

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »
I now can see pilot aware on the tablet wifi...

However, skydemon continues to state that "no data has been received from the GPS DEVICE for some time... blar blar ...

I'm pretty dumbfounded...

I feel I'm wasting my time
GT

alan_d

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:59:01 pm »
The tablet must be connected to the PilotAware wifi hotspot. The fact you see your talktalk router suggests that it's NOT connected to the PilotAware wifi.
Once it is, go to http://192.168.1.1 to get the status.
If that doesn't load (or you can't see the PilotAware hotspot) then it suggests that the software isn't properly installed / upgraded - i'd suggest you wipe the card (or use another) and re-install using the download here: https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/

GT

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 02:56:17 pm »
Thanks for all your help guys I'm going to give up with this it's driving me round the twist I just go back to work and go to the window if anybody wants one it's up for sale

Gt

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:04:35 pm »
There are quite a few here, who are willing to walk you through getting this resolved.  A lot of these issues are resolved if you are willing to follow the advice given so far. Depending on where you we may even link you up with someone who knows PAW units(or a bigger hammer🤪)

Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 04:49:33 pm »
Hi GT,

Please don't get disheartened.

I presume this was working correctly prior to the update, is this correct ?

I have seen many people ask. are you connected to the PilotAware WiFi HotSpot, but have not seen a confirmation.
Can you confirm that you have an active Settings/WiFi connection from your iPad to PilotAware ?

Thx
Lee

GT

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 05:31:23 pm »
Hi

Yep, it active on my hudle tablet...

And I have followed all advice given on the forum

Yet no matter what I do I cannot seem to connect to the 192.168.1.1 to input my licence number

I must admit, I've never been this frustrated with any bit of kit like this.

I'm at work know, so will have to have a look at it next week

Thanks for the reality check

GT

GT

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:48:33 pm »
Guys

Managed to sort out the issue, as it was a router problem, and it had corrupted the files i was uploading and therefore, even though i had a wifi hot spot for the pilotawre, it was not allowing me to connect.

Once the new file had been downloaded and my router had been reconfigured as dynamic, all worked as it should.

Note:
I new i was following the instructions correctly, but this hicup drove me bonkers, thanks for all your input

Regards
GT

Chapmancj

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
Hi, I too am totally confused and irritated by not being able to download and install new software, I first tried to down load to a new formatted USB memory stick from the PAW site using windows 10 but it would not open so couldn't copy it to the stick, so, today I brought the PAW unit home to download direct off my Sky router, Ethernet first as advised, powered unit up, unit recognised, connected to it then typed in the 192 etc into browser, home page appeared, so far so good I thought, clicked on updates, page opens with check for updates and that's as far as I got, my unit is several months old and was informed from PAW that a new version was available but keeps returning to same page asking to check for updates, so I've given up, life's too short.
I'm not a PC geek but have been around them for several years but this has been incredibly annoying and time wasting which really should be very simple to do.
Regards
Cj

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »
CJ,

Ok, I see where you are going wrong. I’ll explain the USB update first. You’re not supposed to ‘open’ the update file (it’s a Linux file so you won’t be able to) - just download it to somewhere on your PC or laptop where you can see it, copy it to the root (top level) of the memory stick, then plug that into your paw while it’s running. Wait a few minutes then go to the Update Screen, select and click on ‘Check for Updates’, then click ‘install’ once it appears.

If using the Ethernet update method you MUSTN’T connect to 192.168.1.1 during the download stage. Simply remove the PAW WiFi dongle (to prevent possible conflict), connect your Ethernet cable, then power up your PAW and leave it alone for at least 20 minutes. During this time it will search for the update file and download it automatically from the PilotAware Lode website.

After 20-30 minutes, power your PAW off, disconnect the Ethernet cable and refit the WiFi dongle, then restart PAW as normal, THEN you must connect to PAW’s WiFi, go to 192.168.1.1, click on ‘Check for Updates’ then when the update appears, click on install. The ‘download’ is automatic with this method, but the ‘Install’ still has to be started manually afterwards, just the same as you would need to do after attaching your USB stick.

In both cases you then need to wait several minutes while the update installs and the PAW performs a reboot. When the PAW WiFi hotspot reappears in the ‘Settings’ Screen on your phone or tablet, you can log back in - but beware, you are best to re-enter the URL as the update will have changed it to 192.168.1.1/install.cgi - which, if you simply click on it without deleting the /install.cgi bit will try to restart the update install all over again.

Once you have done it once, you will find either method easy, though the USB method is usually my preferred option as you can do it in the plane and it’s usually quicker.

Just a word of warning, remember to remove the old update file from your stick before you load the next new update and never rename the update file or put it inside a folder or PilotAware won’t be able to find it.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

Chapmancj

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 02:52:17 pm »
Hello Peter, thanks for your speedy response, I have carried out several attempts over a two hour period, using USB method and Ethernet cable method and nothing happens, I downloaded the update and saved it to downloads, I installed a reformatted stick Fat 32, right clicked on download and sent it to the stick, I followed instructions to the letter for both methods as instructed but when I log onto PAW on IPhone, I get to the configure page check for updates and all that happens is a thin blue line keeps zipping across just beneath the URL 192 etc, and the install field never changes to allow me to install, despite leaving it for 10/15 minutes, I'm just going round in circles!! The same happens using the Ethernet cable method having left it for 45 mins.
Colin

Ian Melville

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 06:40:34 pm »
Colin, can you do a screenshot of your home page with the USB drive plugged in? and post it here?