Author Topic: Virtually no traffic, ADS-B red  (Read 10623 times)

alan_d

Re: Virtually no traffic, ADS-B red
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »
Is this the juicybitz cable provided ?

Yes.

alan_d

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 09:33:41 pm »
Test at Luton this evening shows no further power errors, lots of ADS messages being recorded (600+), but very little traffic (most 3 lines) in the traffic page, and only 1 or 2 aircraft appeared in RunwayHD for the last 10 seconds or so before they landed!
Took a few screenshots, can upload them if needed. Any logs of interest I should check?

Moffrestorer

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 08:34:04 am »
This seems to confirm Exfirepro’s 5th post of this thread, that you have the vertical limits within Runway HD closed down sufficiently to only see the landing traffic for 10 secs or so. Also, if you only had three lines of traffic in the traffic log, this suggests a lull in received traffic, so a relatively quiet time in the skies over Luton.?

Ian Melville

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 08:56:41 am »
Or a duff antenna

alan_d

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 09:12:32 am »
This seems to confirm Exfirepro’s 5th post of this thread, that you have the vertical limits within Runway HD closed down sufficiently to only see the landing traffic for 10 secs or so. Also, if you only had three lines of traffic in the traffic log, this suggests a lull in received traffic, so a relatively quiet time in the skies over Luton.?
It's set to 40,000'
There was an aircraft landing every minute or two. I stayed about 20.

Or a duff antenna
If so I'd not have seen the ~600 received messages, surely?

alan_d

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 10:17:03 am »
I'm next due to fly on Wednesday, so would like to get this working before then, if possible.
Assuming the dongle or antenna is faulty, can anyone point me to a suitable dongle (preferably on Amazon with next-day delivery!) that is known to work with the PAW?
SMA connector is preferable.

Ian Melville

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:15 am »

Or a duff antenna
If so I'd not have seen the ~600 received messages, surely?
If they were very local and strong signal, you may have, like when an aircraft is on short final.

Why don’t you try Petes idea to remove the antenna cable and stick a short length of wire in the dongle. Costs nothing. 5” should do, even a straightened paperclip. If that is an improvement we can make a quick dipole from the antenna cable( assuming issue of is not plug end).

alan_d

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 11:13:16 am »
If they were very local and strong signal, you may have, like when an aircraft is on short final.
That's possible. I was parked here: https://goo.gl/maps/hy2xsRnvMFN2

Why don’t you try Petes idea to remove the antenna cable and stick a short length of wire in the dongle. Costs nothing. 5” should do, even a straightened paperclip. If that is an improvement we can make a quick dipole from the antenna cable( assuming issue of is not plug end).
Will try that, thanks.

alan_d

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 09:45:21 pm »
Follow-up.
I've now tried 3 different antennas and a 'bit of wire'.

I spent about an hour parked next to the runway at Luton, at least 30 flights came and went in that time, of which 4 or 5 were reported as traffic in the 'Traffic' screen - but only there for a few seconds then gone.
None were reported in RunwayHD. (I had 2 devices connected to show both at the same time).
Only 303 ADS messages received in total (PAW powered up before I left home). No power complaints, good GPS fix.

I can't believe that 3 different antennas are faulty, or the 'bit of wire' also - so have to assume the dongle is deaf.

Screenshots attached - any other ideas?

JCurtis

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:34 pm »
Can you try and put the ADSB receiver on a USB extension to see if it helps?  Could be swamped with noise and it’s a quick test.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 11:05:57 pm »
Hi Alan

Lets ask Dave Styles to ship a replacement SDR this is just too weird
I will email Dave

Thx
Lee

alan_d

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 08:12:18 am »
Hi Alan

Lets ask Dave Styles to ship a replacement SDR this is just too weird
I will email Dave

Thx
Lee

Thanks, hopefully that will solve it.

alan_d

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:06 pm »
Replacement receiver arrived today.
Connected via my pigtail > SMA cable and case mounted SMA antenna - over 51 thousand ADS messages received in 16 minutes uptime sitting at home, and 10 lines of traffic on the traffic page  :)

So looks like the SDR was faulty. Will try with RunwayHD shortly.
Thanks Lee & Dave for arranging the replacement parts!

exfirepro

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 09:53:04 pm »
Hi Alan,

Glad you’ve got it sorted at last.

Regards

Peter

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 08:17:08 pm »

As a further test I parked parallel to the runway at Luton Airport this evening - only 1 aircraft reported in RunwayHD, and another briefly while I was watching the 'Traffic' screen.

Do also remember that at least half the commercial aircraft still do not have ADS-B, they only carry Mode C or S.   Even many very new B-787s are only carrying C/S.   

Not sure how Runway HD deals with Mode C/S detection, but from experience the conflict aircraft has to be quite close for PAW to mention it. (I have my setting on ‘close contacts only’...

R