Author Topic: Traffic not displayed  (Read 4548 times)

Dro

Traffic not displayed
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:13:16 pm »
Although the ‘Traffic’ tab shows traffic in 192.168.1.1., it is not displayed in EasyVFR or Air Navigation Pro.
Every FLARM setting according the manual.
I use an iPad Air with internal GPS.

exfirepro

Re: Traffic not displayed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:12 pm »
Have you checked your range/altitude settings in EasyVFR / AirNav Pro?

The PAW Traffic table is primarily a ‘collection and sorting box’. Not all traffic displayed here will be passed to your Nav Software. The PAW software gathers and displays data on all received traffic and processes it before sending selected traffic to your Nav system, depending on what settings you have asked for in your Nav System (for known position targets) and in PAW Configure (for Bearingless Targets) - and whether or not you have bearingless targets selected in both PAW Configure and in your Nav system. Bearingless targets are ‘Off’ by default in PAW Configure and in some Nav Systems. I can’t remember whether this is the case in EVFR / AirNav Pro.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

PaulRuskin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:15 pm »

The PAW software gathers and displays data on all received traffic and processes it before sending selected traffic to your Nav system, depending on what settings you have asked for in your Nav System

That's very interesting.  How does the PAW unit know what settings the nav system has?

Paul

Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:17:06 pm »
Although the ‘Traffic’ tab shows traffic in 192.168.1.1., it is not displayed in EasyVFR or Air Navigation Pro.
Every FLARM setting according the manual.
I use an iPad Air with internal GPS.

I am guessing one of the following

1. The traffic is modeC or modeS
2. The traffic is outside the height filters of the nav device

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:20:22 pm »
Hi Paul / Dro

Badly explained on my part, sorry. What I should have said is that PAW sends all relevant ADSB/P3i traffic plus the highest risk Mode C/S traffic within your chosen altitude and sensitivity range to the Nav System. Altitude filtering for ADSB /P3i is then done by the Nav System depending on your chosen settings.

Regards

Peter

Dro

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:43:07 pm »
Thanks for trying to help me.
What are the right settings in the Configure menu for Mode-C/s Separation, Mode C/S Detect and Mode C/S Select?
The vertical proximity setting in EasyVFR is 40000 ft.

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »
Hi Dro

I too use EasyVFR and have my altitude filter set to +/- 2000'
there are no "correct" values in the PAW Mode C/S settings except for the "Select" option and this is dependent on if you have a transponder or not.  If you have a transponder then set to Mode C/S + filter, to eliminate a double image from displaying your own Transponder & the Pi3 signal.
The other settings are personal choice based on trial and error and the environment you are flying in.
I personally use +/- 2000' altitude again and "Short Range".  With my setup this has been tried and tested against a known mode S GA aircraft and gave me a Green banner alert at approx 4.5 miles progressing through Amber to Red at approx 2.25 miles.  This was from the aircraft approaching from left rear and overtaking me.  The Red was as he approached and passed 2 miles to my left.
I have to stress that this is only relevant in my setup as antenna positioning in your aircraft will effect the receive radiation pattern for you own setup. 
The other thing to note is that commercial traffic will cause alerts from greater distances than this due to the greater power of their transponders compared to usual GA transponders.
I would suggest you possible start with setting the range to "Medium" and try it.  If this produces too many alerts beyond visual range you can reduce it and try again. 
To be effective for GA traffic you are always likely to get alerts from CAT from well beyond visual range but far better to know they are out there and possibly getting nearer, depending on the warning sequence, than not knowing.  As is well documented this system is only to enhance you visual acquisition not replace it.
Hope this helps but some trial and error will be required to find your ideal setup.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »
Hi Dro

I think we have communicated directly by email, but the forum is better.

You previously sent a screenshot of your homepage, which identified the following

- Incorrect power lead
- No GPS Lock
- No GPS Device appearing in USB list

can you confirm all 3 of the above are now resolved, and if so, please post a screenshot of the home page
Thx
Lee

Dro

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:12:46 pm »
Thanks till now.
I will buy a USB GPS dongle (VK-172) and then I have recieved it, I post the result.

Dro

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 03:12:41 pm »
USB GPS dongle (VK-172) installed. Problem solved!

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
Well done Dro,

Early versions of PilotAware were designed to take GPS position from tablets or other external sources, however this proved to be unreliable in practice, so the system was changed a considerable time ago to require a dedicated GPS source. To prevent the possibility of transmitting false data, the system is set up so that it won't pass data to the transmitter or Nav system unless and until it gets a positive GPS fix, hence it won't work without a fully functioning dedicated GPS source. Unfortunately, the problem wasn't obvious from the information you initially provided. I'm glad to hear that with Lee's help you have now finally got to the root of the problem.

Best Regards

Peter