Author Topic: FUNKE Transponder FW Version  (Read 4920 times)

AlanK

FUNKE Transponder FW Version
« on: February 08, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »
I stupidly thought our transponder being OLED was reasonably new so would be the right firmware but have now found its only 4.8. 

The guide I found on connecting PAW to this transponder suggests v5.3 or above but FUNKE want 300 euro to upgrade.  I challenged that and they said

"it (ADS-B) does generally work but it could be in individual cases that it doesn't work 100 percent, So we suggest the Update."

So before I buy a cable just to try it and see, has anyone else been able to get a transponder on earlier firmware to work?

Admin

Re: FUNKE Transponder FW Version
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:46 pm »
I cannot recall correctly, but this may be the one that shows your aircraft flying backwards
Thx
Lee

efrenken

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:08:14 pm »
Alan,

I too have a Funke TRX (TRT800) and have had it upgraded shortly (don‘t remember version) due to being able to send ADS-B.

I paid ~ 250 Euros and was surprised to see they had changed the display for free, though it was not that bad. This service is well received by OLED equipped TRX owners as the OLED displays tend to fade over time.

Perhaps this makes your decision easier.

BR
Eric

AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 10:53:46 am »
Thanks but the display is crystal clear so we would really be paying all that just to get ADSB out.   Wasnt sure from their response if it might just work anyway but sounds like you are saying it doesnt.

Think I will have to live without for moment :(

PaulSS

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
The cable is as cheap as chips. Why don't you give it a go and see if it works? If it doesn't, then you've still got the cable for when you eventually upgrade your transponder. If it does work you can have a smiley face  :)

scsirob

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 03:09:12 pm »
Thanks but the display is crystal clear so we would really be paying all that just to get ADSB out.   Wasnt sure from their response if it might just work anyway but sounds like you are saying it doesnt.

Think I will have to live without for moment :(
I have upgraded this summer, but ran my early TRT800 (LCD version) for many years with ADS-B out already. In the early days I got some remarks from ATC that my rinky dinky plane showed up with all bells and whistles on their screen. FPGA and FW were version 4.7 or 4.8 before the update. You may well be lucky. Suggest you just hook up NMEA serial to the TRT800 and try it.

AlanK

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:19:14 pm »
Have tried and failed so far but now at least have the right manual for the older FW

It states the following GPS can be selected on the Transponder - any ideas what I should pick? (leaning towards NMEA)

GPS-Receiver for ADS-B out
o FREEFLIGHT (GPS / WAAS Sensor 1201, 19200 Bd)
 setting of the GPS receiver: not required.
o NexNav NNL 3101
 setting of the GPS receiver: not required
o KLN94 (Bendix King, KLN 89B, KLN 94, KMD 150, 9600 Bd)
 setting of KLN89B/KLN94: “Standard RS232 Sentence”
 setting of KMD 150: “Type 1 Sentence”
o NMEA-Format (4800 Bd)
 setting: data format RMC is expected; to minimize the
amount of data other sub-formats are to be avoided.

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:37:10 pm »
Yup, NMEA

AlanK

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 11:14:12 am »
Well that completely failed.

Set up with NMEA etc but no ADSB traffic from myself was seen on either the PAW traffic screen of my own device or the ADSB view on other devices nearby :(

Anyone looking for a FUNKE cradle and 232USB patch lead let me know!

:'(