Author Topic: Feb 2018 Light Aviation mag EC article  (Read 8421 times)

Robski

Feb 2018 Light Aviation mag EC article
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:31:40 pm »
Anybody else read the article?

The author comes across as a bit odd - doing lots of 'research' to justify doing nothing.

His gripe about installing a mode S transponder but not really knowing why seems telling....

He seemed to keep harping on about his RV-6 as well. PAW works surprisingly well in mine for such a low powered device inside a partial Faraday cage. The fact that the PAW unit costs less than filling his RV up with Avgas didn't get a mention but he kept mentioning the 250 quid for the ADS-B out / CAP1391 unit.

Keep up the good work, Lee & co - we appreciate your efforts  ;D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:25:50 pm by Robski »
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Ian Melville

Re: Feb 2018 Light Aviation mag EC article
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:05:12 am »
Just read it last night in response to your post.

There are a lot of things that he has right, but it does feel a bit odd. The first thing I picked up was the table on page 21. Why the question marks? It's not hard to find those answers. Why is CAP1391 listed, it's not a transmitter and in therory will mirror ADS-B. CAP1391 is also listed as a popular standard!

Blog should have been set up before the article was published and include it location on the web. I did wonder what was wrong with using the LAA forum, but I now see he has his own space on there rather than a 'Blog'. https://services.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=45

Diagrams 3-5 are dubious.

EricC

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 12:14:25 pm »
To avoid confusion I have no involvement in the post in the LAA Magazine.

Thanks EricC

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:04 pm »

Thanks EricC

That's definitely got me confused Eric  ??? - Not being an LAA member, I now feel the need to track down a copy of the article and read it  :-\ !!

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:18:08 pm »

Thanks EricC
I don't think there is much risk of EC being confused with EricC  ;D

Pete, Check on Trello. Not willing to put it on open forum

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:56:52 pm »
Thanks Ian,

An 'interesting' article, which certainly presents a basic broad-brush outline of EC, though with little depth. The article is very 'wooly' in some areas with several obvious errors. The 2-dimensional transmission diagrams in particular are overly simplistic and IMO give a particularly negative view of the actual coverage likely to be achieved by a reasonably considered antenna system and is clearly at odds with the experience of members of this Forum. The table also shows a worrying lack of knowledge of what ATC can see. The article IMO clearly shows the author's obvious bias towards 1090MHz ADSB, which makes me wonder if that was the underlying reason why it was written.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:04:35 pm by exfirepro »

Robski

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:14:00 pm »

Thanks EricC
Neither have I.

Nor do I have any axe to grind. Brian Hope, the magazine editor, is doing an excellent job in the face of widespead indifference and apathy.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

AlanG

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 05:40:53 pm »
Let's all just hope he doesn't fly into anyone, or vice versa,   whilst he's waiting for someone to produce his £250 all singing, all dancing 1090Mhz EC system.
I have a feeling he could be waiting some time unless Lee can accommodate him.
I don't think he even mentioned that the only device to give him his 1090 out, the Sky Echo, is currently priced at £600 and doesn't achieve his objective.
I couldn't agree more that for the price of a tank of fuel he would be a hell of a lot safer with a PilotAware installed whilst he is waiting.

Totally agree with Robski, keep up the fantastic work Lee and all the team.   ;D

Alan

PaulRuskin

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:19:59 am »
Would any kind person be able to send me a scan of this article? 

Thanks

Paul
paul@ruskin.me.uk

Moffrestorer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:37 am »
Article sent.

PaulSS

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:29 am »
+1 if you wouldn't mind. I am an LAA member but my magazine would have gone to my house in Oz and I'm hard at work (ahem) in Japan. Thank you  :)

paulss@westnet.com.au

Giver

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:37:27 pm »
+2
likewise my mag will be at my home in the UK and i am unfortunately flying in New zealand  ;D
thanks a bunch

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 08:42:08 pm »

I don't think he even mentioned that the only device to give him his 1090 out, the Sky Echo, is currently priced at £600 and doesn't achieve his objective.

I have recently called Sky Echo, and they confirmed that they are only using GPS altitude for height separation on ADSB traffic.  In which case, your £600 Sky Echo is giving you duff data, that might imperil your life and the lives if others. 

If the Sky Echo rep (Ms Tventen) is correct on this, I would not touch Sky Echo with a bargepole.

Roger

Admin

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 08:53:35 pm »
Hi Roger

The first release did not have a baro, the latest does have a baro

Thx
Lee

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 10:25:30 pm »
Hi
The first release did not have a baro, the latest does have a baro
Lee

Interesting.  Perhaps someone should tell Sky Echo that, because their reply to me lastbweek was as follows.   

I am presuming that ADSB resolves height differences via baro (1013), the same as Mode C does.  So using gps (QNH) altitude would give erroneous data.

R

Reply from Sky Echo.....

Hi Roger,

The skyEcho currently uses gps altitude.

Best Regards,
Derena Tveten
Business Administration | uAvionix
E: derena@uavionix.com |C: 406.261.5730