Author Topic: Latest Software Version  (Read 15498 times)

Moffrestorer

Re: Latest Software Version
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 10:48:17 pm »
Thanks for the installation instructions update Keith. Latest OGN-R software seems to still be 20180119 ?

I presume the auto-update (crontab) that Lee refers to earlier in this thread is yet to be implemented.

Whilst the update process remains “manual”  can you please broadcast to us whenever a software update becomes available?

Thx,

Chris

Moffrestorer

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 08:03:31 pm »
Updated PWKingsto OGN-R Software today. I followed the instructions for updating an existing OGN-PAW station per those notified by Keith 2 posts previously in this thread. Unfortunately this didn’t work as the program didn’t recognise the script “— same-owner” in the command line. I recognise that this would have enabled automatic software updates whenever a revision is issued.

Instead I was able to do the update as specified earlier by Keith;

Hi Dave

Yes there is a new release 20180119. You can upload this remotely so you don't have to do a full manual read and reconfiguration. How you do this is in the instructions by running pi@ognpaw:~/rtlsdr-ogn $ ./PilotAware-OGN.update.sh .
I will produce an updating procedure and include it in the installation instructions later today.

Keith

After typing the above commands, the Pi fetched the latest release from the pilotawarelode.co.uk website without further ado. This was release 20180609. Can I ask whether this is a “one time” download or having taken this route will further revisions be automatically detected/ download to my Pi?

Thx,

Chris

Keithvinning

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 07:38:16 pm »
Hi Chris
Glad you got it going.
No you will have to do it each time we announce a new release.

All as Chris said its very easy to do so if you dont know if you have the latest release give it a try

Keith

GyroTom

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 09:11:40 pm »
Hi

I tried the update using the original method and it didn't like the “— same-owner”

I then tried the method used by Chris and it said it could not find the directory.

Is it possible to download the new version to a microsd card and do it that way and if so where can I download it from?

I just updated my gyrocopters PAW with no issues using that method.

many thanks

Tom

Moffrestorer

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
Hi Tom,

The  README file that I thought was Keith’s update instructions may not be correct or is possibly superseded. I’ve just noticed his “updating OGN-R software instructions in the document  “Building and Installing an OGN-PAW Uplink...” downloadable from OGN section of PilotAware.com (I normally refer to the other document concerning converting an existing OGN Receiver to a PilotAware Uplink, as being generally more informative), my error!

The instructions spell out the commands that I eventually used to successfully download the software update, but with much more detail. Hopefully it will work for you from that document.

Regards,

Chris

Keithvinning

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 11:53:59 pm »
Hi Chaps

These instructions were written a while ago. Best I have a look and re-write next week. Bit busy at the moment.

Keith

GyroTom

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 07:19:46 pm »
OK Chris and Keith,

As it is working there is no rush to have to upgrade but I will when it is clearer how to do it.

Tom

trident

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 09:05:17 pm »
Hello Chaps,

I'm in the process of putting an OGN-R station together which will be located at my private strip a couple of miles south of Long Sutton in Lincolnshire.

I've spoken to Keith regarding setting-up the gear and my original idea was to mount most of it in a waterproof box up on a mast and just run power and ethernet cables up to the box, thus reducing the RF cable losses and keeping everything simple. However, my internet router is remote (about 100m away in the house) from where the OGN-R system will be mounted and although I could create a wireless connection through a router and connect it to my wi-fi network, it starts getting a bit awkward. I'm also aware that Ethernet should't be run externally without appropriate lightning-strike protection.

Keith has advised that there is no current capability in the OGN-R software to drive a wi-fi dongle, but I'm guessing (maybe wrongly) that it would be possible to update the software to include the necessary drivers which would make a wi-fi link to a network feasible? Maybe it could be either running permanently to auto-detect either wired or dongle, or configurable via a command-line input to select dongle from the default wired? Whether there are any technical issues other than the software I don't know, but I can't see any RF problems as wi-fi is 2.4 or 5GHz and P3i and Flarm are 950ish MHz. I think a wi-fi option would add versatility to the system and I'm sure other people would find it useful.

Comments from learned experts please!

Thanks,

Frank.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:08:23 pm by trident »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 02:39:33 am »
Keith has advised that there is no current capability in the OGN-R software to drive a wi-fi dongle

I'm not entirely sure this is correct.

Mine's running on Wifi!  :o ;D

Oh gawd, I guess this means I'm going to have to try and remember how I did it and write it up in some sort of instruction. I might have written it down somewhere to copy paste. It's 2:39am at the moment, remind me later...after I've slept!

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 02:41:00 am »
P3i and Flarm are 950ish MHz.

868-869MHz

Ian Melville

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 08:18:22 am »
Keith has advised that there is no current capability in the OGN-R software to drive a wi-fi dongle

I'm not entirely sure this is correct.

Mine's running on Wifi!  :o ;D

Oh gawd, I guess this means I'm going to have to try and remember how I did it and write it up in some sort of instruction. I might have written it down somewhere to copy paste. It's 2:39am at the moment, remind me later...after I've slept!

Wakey Wakey sunshine.  :)
Yes please, then I can remove the Cat5 cable that is trailing across the floor from front to back of house  ::)

Admin

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 11:07:03 am »
The full installation does not have a wifi client setup
This canbe added to full install if Paul can document
Alternatively, you can install on an existing setup which does have a wifi client setup

Thx
Lee

PaulRuskin

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 04:53:27 pm »
The following should suffice.

sudo /root/mount_rw.bash

then change /etc/network/services to look like the file below

then cut and paste the following exactly (including brackets) into the command line
(cd /etc_rw; sudo tar -c  *) | (cd /etc_org; sudo tar -x --overwrite)
sudo /root/mount_ro.bash

/etc/network/services - replace what you've got with the following:
----------------------
# Interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
# For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-ssid fill_in_SSID_here
wpa-psk fill_in_password_here

iface default inet dhcp

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:24 am »
I gave mine a static IP address, and had to give it my SSID and password for the router.

When I'm back in Guildford, I'll see if I can log on to it and have a look to see what I did! I thought I'd written it up in the Engineering section, but I don't think I did.

trident

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »

Thanks for the update chaps.

I thought it would be possible and thank you Paul re the 868-869MHz frequency. I wrote it from memory and was a bit out hence the ish. Curiously, it's approx the 2nd harmonic of the 433 licence exempt band for remote control and some telemetry, so I expect it's not a coincidence then.

Maybe as I suggested the wi-fi driver could be a permanent addition to the software as an update? I thought I wouldn't be the only one to find it useful.

I'm not well versed in programming of the Pi, but I'll give it a go. One question though, if I make the changes at the command line prompt, are those changes saved to the file so next boot-up will load the wi-fi driver option, or is it lost once the power is removed? It might sound a basic (no, I know it's UNIX!) question, but as I said I've done very little with the Pi so far.

Thanks,

Frank.