Author Topic: Station Transmission Constraints on Re-Broadcast  (Read 8047 times)

PaulRuskin

Re: Station Transmission Constraints on Re-Broadcast
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 12:19:11 pm »
The SPR could be made a static configuration option in the installation, but I have a far more cunning plan to make it dynamic

I think this is an interesting idea.  But I think we need to think a little about the real world use cases.  A couple of thoughts:

1. Most Flarm and PAW installations are far from perfect (ie external antennas with good 360 degree views).  Coverage can be very directional.  I see this often, flying with Flarm - being able to detect another aircraft from further away than very close can be very dependent on relative orientation.  The same will, I suspect, be true of PilotAware despite the higher power.  The consequence of this is a given ground station may see only one of two close PAW and Flarm equipped aircraft depending on their orientation.  Thus, ground stations either need to look at the output of other OGN receivers to see where the Flarm traffic is, or there needs to be significant overlap in coverage.  Or both.

2. An interesting use case to consider is a gliding club running a competition.  It's entirely possible to have 50-100 Flarm contacts within 10km of the club, and (especially if we start putting PAW in any gliders or tugs) one or more PAW contacts.  With possibly several OGNR stations within range all doing rebroadcast.  Any scheme needs to handle that gracefully.

Paul