Author Topic: How many installations (aircraft)  (Read 2936 times)

MikeD

How many installations (aircraft)
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:27:15 pm »
Hi all,

I'm about to try and get my Gliding Club to Enhance the existing OGN equipment.  I have most of the information I require but am unable to find a recent figure on how many PAW installations are being used (in aircraft). The map shows circa 280 but that's only the people that have bothered to enter their details. Any ideas?

MikeD

exfirepro

Re: How many installations (aircraft)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:24 pm »
Hi Mike,

You probably know I run the OGN-R station at Balerno, near Edinburgh and I am also in the process of negotiating the installation of stations on several additional nearby airfields.

Sorry, I can’t give you a figure for the number of PilotAware units in use in aircraft. In fact I doubt if a definitive figure exists as there is no obligation for purchasers or builders to confirm that they have actually brought their unit(s) into full use. As you say, the PilotAware Users map is well out of date as it relies on users voluntarily adding their units and I know for a fact that there are lots who, for various reasons, don’t want their aircraft location to be identified.

The most recent figure I have seen quoted for Classic PAW’s and/or Bridge Transceiver boards (for converting ‘homebuilt’ units to full PilotAware spec) was 1,500+ and IIRC that was a few months back. Hope this helps.

Have you been in touch with Keith Vinning? He is running the OGN-R project and can help with the supply of the necessary additional hardware to upgrade to OGN-R. You can contact Keith by e-mail at ogn@pilotaware.com

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:59:30 pm by exfirepro »

MikeD

Re: How many installations (aircraft)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:50:57 am »
Peter,

Thanks for the info, it will be most useful when presenting the case to our committee. 

Mike