Author Topic: Some OGN-R questions  (Read 3974 times)

4535jacks

Some OGN-R questions
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:32:05 pm »
I am a tug pilot at a couple of gliding clubs and also do a spot of touring in powered aircraft.  I would like to propose to one of my clubs that we install an OGN-R station but before I present this idea I will some more info.

I think the best way to propose an installation is to focus on the benefits to the gliding community (other than the obvious one of a reduced chance of GA aircraft colliding with a glider).  Will installing a OGN-R allow our fleet of gliders (all have flarm installed) to see aircraft with PAW as well as those squaking on a mode C or S transporder on their flarm displays? 

How would a flarm react to a PAW on a tug aircraft and vice versa?  Would it filter it out like it would another flarm?

Can the base station prove a realtime map of aircraft eiher using its own mapping or overlay it on skydemon light? I would like to see a map on a screen in the club house.

Thanks in advance.

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Some OGN-R questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:28:43 pm »
It's one way only, so displays the Flarm contacts to PAW, but not vice versa. As for mapping, you can always use another ground based PAW to look at the contacts, but there may be a future development to feed the OGN-PAW data straight into a map.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:53:47 pm »
As Paul said we are working on a clubhouse or tower based screen that uses the OGNR to display local Flarm, paw and Adsb traffic in real time so yes this is a great benefit of OGNR installations

PaulRuskin

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:58:31 pm »
Hi

Give me a call - I've helped roll out a lot of the OGN stations and am now working on the OGN-R ones - also looking at installing PAW in our tugs.  I'll talk you through it.

I'm a full cat and tug pilot at Cambridge.

Phone numbers in PM sent.

Paul

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:42:15 am »
Is there an update on the development to add a map display to OGNR?  I am in discussion with a local airfield over installing one and it is clearly a big selling point if they can have a display showing all local aircraft without the need or expense of another PAW setup.  In any case it would also serve to show everything was working properly.

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:59:35 am »
Hi Tony

Yes there is but this involves extra cost as another SBC based server is required to drive the mapping software and ensure real time information on PilotAware, Flarm, Adsb. Mode S can also be displayed with a 5 sec or so delay using MLAT.

This works well. At the moment though information gained can only be used for entertainment purposes not air traffic management or air traffic control. For this you will have to stick with radio and binoculars like we have been doing since WW2. Having said that most airstrips don’t have ATC and those that do know the rules.

The CAA and FASVIG are doing some trials to determine the feasibility of using data that has been collected electronically in real time  using European SESAR funding but no results will be available from this for a long time. Official trials are expensive and very expensive.

What airstrip are you considering. I assume it’s unlicenced

Keith