Author Topic: WIFI Channel Settings: B or G?  (Read 3264 times)

a.alexeev.p

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
WIFI Channel Settings: B or G?
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:39:58 pm »
On network page my wifi mode was always selected as G from the beginning even though in user manual it says that default should be B. So which is right? What does it even mean and what are the consequences? Anything helps! thank you :)

exfirepro

Re: WIFI Channel Settings: B or G?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:33:06 pm »
Alex,

Default WiFi setting is Mode G, Channel 9 and 10mW power.

The settings are adjustable to cater for potential conflicts with other local WiFi sources, though it is recommended to only alter them if you are having specific network related problems and even then only if you know what you are doing.

I also note your other posts re dropouts. We first need to get to the bottom of the problem and determine the reasons before making random changes.

Not sure why the manual says default is 'B' - I certainly can't remember that ever being the case, but will check and get back to you.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:32:59 am »
I think it used to be B way back.

B is the older Wifi standard of 11Mb/s.
G is the newer Wifi standard of 54Mb/s.

There are higher speeds available on Wifi now, but not on the PAW yet!  :D

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:50:23 am »
I have checked back on the WiFi settings.

The first commercial release of the PilotAware Software in May 2016 increased the default WiFi from Mode 'B' (which had previously been used by all test units) to Mode 'G' but this caused (or at least was thought to contribute to) connection issues with some tablets - particularly the 2012 Nexus 7. As a result, after significant testing, the default WiFi setting was reverted to Mode 'B' in a new software release at the end of May 2016.

When the facility for the user to adjust WiFi Power was introduced in August 2016, the default was still set to Mode 'B' - but with WiFi Power still at 100mW, hence why these settings were included in the manual. The Default WiFi was subsequently changed to Mode 'G' at a reduced power level of 10mW in November 2016, but the manual seems not to have been adjusted to reflect this.

I will bring this to the attention of the guys who look after the Manuals. Thanks for identifying this for us.

Regards

Peter

a.alexeev.p

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 05:43:47 pm »
Thanks a lot, Peter! Your level of knowledge and how helpful you are is truly impressive. That does make sense and overall the manual seems to cover a lot of relevant and important aspects. However, I must say I did get the impression quite a few times that it was written/upgraded a bit carelessly eg with typos. Also, the quick assembly guide that came with PAW suggested I should get full manual from pilotawarehardware.com which got outdated version. Had to read it all only to find out it was not up to date find new one and re read :-) As an avgeek I'm really excited and it didn't bother me much, but imagine some people would find such small errors quite annoying with somebody who produces such a cool product so well :)