Author Topic: Lost GPS (Merged)  (Read 25778 times)

a.alexeev.p

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Re: Lost GPS (Merged)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 06:10:27 am »
Just press “go flying” again for me:)

Admin

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 07:17:51 am »
Alex
How are you connected from SD
Flarm or PilotAware ?

Thx
Lee

Seanhump

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:12 am »
Ian ..

I needed to reconnect to the Wifi hotspot when SD bombed out...

No wifi disconnections when using the radar screen ...

I'm set to connect with FLARM on SD as per the instructions ..

Everything is back to 'as supplied' today so I'll see how it goes whilst airborne
Pilotaware user ...

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:51 am »
Lee, it is PilotAware selected in connectivity options, not FLARM.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:59:44 am by a.alexeev.p »

Admin

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 10:26:56 am »
Hi Sean

These two conditions are un-related I think.

If the WiFi hotspot disconnects it can only be due to the following
1. PilotAware has rebooted (usually due to power related issues)
2. The iPad/aPad has switched to an alternate WiFi connection

in the case of (1), this is easily identified, if you can look at your TRACK's page there will be a break in the track files for the time when the power goes off, could you check that ?
There will appear a TRACK file whose date would be at initial power on, and a subsequent at a reboot (if it occured)

In the case of (2), as I mentioned to Alex, do you have the option 'Ask to Join Networks' selected ?
I think if selecting this, it will not switch without user input

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 10:28:46 am »
Hi Alex, Sean

If you have access to a 2nd (apple) device, I wonder if you could try an experiment
download EasyVFR (Basic) from the iTunes store - its free
Configure to connect to PilotAware on UDP port 2000, IP 192.168.1.1

if you can run both devices in parallel, I would be interested to see if both connections to SD and EVFR disconnect

Thx
Lee

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:58 am »
Ok will try, though not sometime soon. Also messaged SkyDemon support, will see if they reply

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:32 am »
Though if select UDP it doesnt let edit IP, only if TCP is selected. Also, default pin is 6000 whereas in the manual 6002, so which is right?

Ian Melville

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 01:51:57 pm »
EVFR does not have a connect/disconnect. If there is an issue you will see a sideways scrolling banner saying 'inaccurate position data' or similar words.

Admin

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:52 pm »
EVFR does not have a connect/disconnect. If there is an issue you will see a sideways scrolling banner saying 'inaccurate position data' or similar words.
Well ... kind of, EVFR has an automatic retry on disconnect, so it still has the notion of connect/disconnect
But, I am interested in the reporting of GPS lost at the same time SD disconnects

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:04 pm »
Though if select UDP it doesnt let edit IP, only if TCP is selected. Also, default pin is 6000 whereas in the manual 6002, so which is right?

So long as the IP=192.168.1.1 and PORT=2000, that is ok

6000 is the pin you should select - I will double check the documentation
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:40:29 pm by Admin »

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 04:25:25 pm »
Reply from SkyDemon:

“The message you're getting is indicating that SkyDemon has heard absolutely nothing from the "connected" device for some time, and that's why the connection is lost.  This is quite the opposite of the hypothesis that SkyDemon is being overloaded.  In fact it would be impossible to overload SkyDemon with traffic information.

It might be worth trying the specific PilotAware connectivity option in SkyDemon's Setup menu, if you're not already doing so, or try the FLARM option if it's the PilotAware option that's resulting in a lost connection.”

Seanhump

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 07:08:34 pm »
Hi Sean

These two conditions are un-related I think.

If the WiFi hotspot disconnects it can only be due to the following
1. PilotAware has rebooted (usually due to power related issues)
2. The iPad/aPad has switched to an alternate WiFi connection

in the case of (1), this is easily identified, if you can look at your TRACK's page there will be a break in the track files for the time when the power goes off, could you check that ?
There will appear a TRACK file whose date would be at initial power on, and a subsequent at a reboot (if it occured)

In the case of (2), as I mentioned to Alex, do you have the option 'Ask to Join Networks' selected ?
I think if selecting this, it will not switch without user input

Thx
Lee

Thanks Lee

I'll check the tracks and post my findings later ....

RE the "Ask to Join Networks" switch ...

On the Ipad Air (main device) this is on

On the Ipad Mini it's off

Not sure how this would change things - it only applies to "New" networks ..? (ie, no known networks are available)

The mini was in use yesterday as the test display and was the one disconnecting

Today, I took the Air up and had SD sat there during a training sortie - no disconnects wifi wise, but at least 3 "Lost GPS" messages appearing in SD (in the big green box across the top half of the display). This is with the PAW back in it's "As delivered" config

I'll download EVFR and see what that does - I've three ipads I can use for various configs ...

Cheers
Sean
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:11:37 pm by Seanhump »
Pilotaware user ...

Admin

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 08:18:48 pm »
Hi Sean

Today, I took the Air up and had SD sat there during a training sortie - no disconnects wifi wise, but at least 3 "Lost GPS" messages appearing in SD (in the big green box across the top half of the display). This is with the PAW back in it's "As delivered" config

OK, this is a different issue, this means the GPS really has lost a lock, and is telling SkyDemon it has lost a lock. This is different to a WiFi drop which is a communication loss.

Where do you have PilotAware situated - does it have a good view of the sky for satellite visibility ?

Thx
Lee

Seanhump

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »
Hi Sean

OK, this is a different issue, this means the GPS really has lost a lock, and is telling SkyDemon it has lost a lock. This is different to a WiFi drop which is a communication loss.

Where do you have PilotAware situated - does it have a good view of the sky for satellite visibility ?

Thx
Lee

Ok - I see the difference there ..

The PAW is cable tied to the rear of a RAM mount, which in turn is suckered to the inside of the canopy
The UBlox GPS is in clear view of the outside world, extended on a short USB extension - pic to follow

BTW - can the tracks be viewed in anything that allows fast forwarding ? - The recording from this morning seems to be the full hour+ of the sortie in real time (playing back in SD)

Tks
Pilotaware user ...