Author Topic: New member with a case / ADSB antenna Q  (Read 10158 times)

Seanhump

New member with a case / ADSB antenna Q
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:15:42 pm »
Hi all ...

New to the forum, and to Pilotaware, but steadily getting to grips with things....

I've been reading up on the replacement case options and will be going wih the popular Stratux case to replace the stock one that came with my Pilotaware setup.
(my temporary setup is cable tied to the back of a RAM ipad mount, and there's cabling for the ADSB antenna tucked up there too that I'd like to get rid of, and also keep the antenna's fixed to just one 'box' to keep things tidy and portable)

I'd also like to use a better ADSB antenna, and am just checking that this one from Amazon will do the job instead of the spindly one supplied with the mag mount and 1m cable ...? https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-ADS-B-Discovery-Antenna-Bundle/dp/B01FS0GI0W/ref=pd_sbs_107_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3ZA43717F6K6HV976J23

I understand that I'll only need the 1090 Mhz one and can throw the other one ....

Can anyone point me in the direction of a right-angle adapter to connect the pigtail upto the ADSB dongle when it's installed in the Stratux case ..?

So far , with the stock setup it's all working as expected, with traffic plotted nicely on SkyDemon ....

Thanks in advance
Sean
Pilotaware user ...

PaulSS

Re: New member with a case / ADSB antenna Q
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 08:06:50 am »
Hi Sean,

I will now confuse the matter by not answering your question AND adding a spanner into the works for your consideration.

I have bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FlightAware-Stick-ADS-B-Receiver-Raspberry/dp/B06W2M16PM/ref=lp_8637471031_1_2?srs=8637471031&ie=UTF8&qid=1513411129&sr=8-2

I bought it because I will be externally mounting my antennas and this just makes it nice and easy to go straight to an SMA fitting, instead of MCX converters etc. It also is a very powerful ADSB receiver and does a few other fancy (but unnecessary) things that the stock unit doesn't. However, it struck me that the antenna you have suggested would just screw straight onto the ADSB dongle and, therefore, you could do away with the pigtails, the MCX converter and a 90 degree adaptor.

The only unknown would be if the length of the ADSB dongle above is suitable to both plug into the PAW unit and poke out of the end of the Stratux case enough for you to screw on the antenna. Get your measuring stick out and let us know if it's any good.

Edited to add: This might answer your question but I would point out that the antenna you've suggested does rotate through 90 degrees, so you could have a straight SMA adaptor through the case.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMA-Right-Angle-Gold-90-Degree-Female-Socket-To-Male-Plug-Coupler-Elbow-Adaptor/111677577302?epid=22007136155&hash=item1a00809856:g:3RQAAOSwKrhVX2he
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:17:28 am by PaulSS »

Seanhump

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 09:45:15 am »
Morning and thanks for the reply ...

I did a little more digging last night, and also ordered a 6" pigtail with a right-angle MCX connector from evil-bay (the one supplied with the NooElec antenna has a straight plug)

I've not yet looked at alternate receivers etc as I'm still getting to grips with the stock kit - looking at the Flightaware one and checking the dimensions of the Stratux case (43mm available in the 'covered' section) it'd stick out by another 50mm (the Flightaware one is 93mm long).

It'd work if you were going to mount the antenna externally with a USB extension to the device - my only worry would be from the extra weight on the USB connector with the Flightaware receiver / antenna combo - it'd be asking to get knocked and pull the USB socket of the Pi ... (unless secured in some other fashion ...)

When it all gets here I'll look at mounting options for the case - some of the ones I've seen on here have the antenna's place at either end (length ways) as opposed to both at the top - the former may suit me better and still be suitable for good GPS reception.

For me, this will need to be portable as I fly a number of different machines so it need to be sturdy and fully functional with the minimum of cables/clutter !!
Pilotaware user ...

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:03:37 am »
I understand that I'll only need the 1090 Mhz one and can throw the other one ....

Keep it safe somewhere in case there are future developments to receive 978 weather.

Seanhump

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback...

I've decided to dive in and build a complete enclosure to house the PilotAware hardware and power source (I use the Dell Power Companion) in one very portable unit.

I've sourced a suitably small enclosure to hold it all, and will route the antenna cabling using pigtails so they can be mounted on the outside of the enclosure. (The antenna's 'spin' so different orentations will be available ...)

It looks like the GPS mouse from the Hardware Store will will be a worthwhile addition to replace the plug-in one (so I can get the receiver outside of the box) - I'll just need to shorten the 2m cable and re-solder a USB plug onto it

I've spare RAM Mount parts so I'll have one of the 1" balls fixed to the rear of the case to allow for various mounting options (sucker to the window, clamps etc etc)

Currently investigation options to allow the LEDs to be viewed remotely (Power etc etc) and a suitable power switch ....

I'll start a new thread once bits start to arrive and document the build process .
Pilotaware user ...

Ben Smith

• Engineering
  • Glider pilot, electronics engineer and Beekeeper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »
Amazon have a very nice looking case at the moment, it is aluminium rather than plastic so should be more rugged,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072LLKZCB/

If the link doesn’t work just search Amazon U.K. for
“Corkea Raspberry Pi 3 Case Aluminum for ADS-B Stratux DIY Kit Black”
I am thinking of buying one to play with as it looks like it has enough space for lots of different applications, it isn’t that cheap though, selling at just under £18.

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 04:38:37 pm »
Looks nice, just make sure the WiFi dongle is outside the case...

Amazon have a very nice looking case at the moment, it is aluminium rather than plastic so should be more rugged,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072LLKZCB/

If the link doesn’t work just search Amazon U.K. for
“Corkea Raspberry Pi 3 Case Aluminum for ADS-B Stratux DIY Kit Black”
I am thinking of buying one to play with as it looks like it has enough space for lots of different applications, it isn’t that cheap though, selling at just under £18.

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 09:33:27 pm »
Looks nice, just make sure the WiFi dongle is outside the case...

I tried this case a while back, the wifi is fine, GPS cannot be internal

Thx
Lee

cyclone1

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:30:25 am »
To show how adaptable paw us I have mine in a sandwich box. Hole drilled in the side for ventilation and cable outlets.  Two hole in the lid for aerials and the 25000mh battery velcroed on top of the lid. Then quick release strap holding it in pass side floor bar. Never failed yet, fingers crossed.

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:02:07 pm »
Don't your sandwiches get a bit warm 😜

PaulSS

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 02:09:43 pm »
He did say he's got a hole for ventilation  :)

alan_d

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:20 am »
If anyone's interested, take a look at my 3D printed case design here: http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1144.msg13651.html#msg13651

MikeD

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 01:52:36 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to fit the PAW into the Stratux case (see below) with a little modification to the port holes.  I intend only using one of the fans but I haven't any USB ports available and the PAW board is covering the power pins!.

V2 Black Case Dual Fans for Stratux ADS-B Kit Fits AHRS Module and GPYes
eBay item number:172874325753

Question: Where can I pick up a power feed for the fan?

Mike
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:03:27 pm by MikeD »

Ian Melville

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:16 pm »
Mike, you removed the fan that I least expected to see removed. Can you actually close the case with the fan over the Bridge PCB, or is the V2 case taller?

MikeD

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:58:09 pm »
Ian,

The fan under the board is still in place but not powered/connected so the V2 case must be taller.  What I'm trying to work out is how I can power the fan that will be under the USB ports (the fan shown in the photo).  As mentioned, the fan shown in the photo has a USB power source but I don't have any spare ports.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:03:40 pm by MikeD »