British Forum > OGN-R PilotAware

Update of station / remote login

(1/4) > >>

PaulRuskin:
Hi All

Three questions:

1. Can anyone point me to an explanation of how the read only software is implemented for an OGN-R station?  Specifically, I have a remote login approach which I use for OGN stations (reverse SSH tunneling) which I want to implement on OGN-R stations that I will be managing.  How might I go about this?

2. When a new version of the OGN-R software is released, does the upgrade happen automatically, or is it manual?

3. In the event of an upgrade, will the additions in (1) survive?

Thanks

Paul

Admin:
Hi Paul

--- Quote from: PaulRuskin on December 08, 2017, 04:18:00 pm ---Hi All

Three questions:

1. Can anyone point me to an explanation of how the read only software is implemented for an OGN-R station?  Specifically, I have a remote login approach which I use for OGN stations (reverse SSH tunneling) which I want to implement on OGN-R stations that I will be managing.  How might I go about this?

--- End quote ---

There is a short document describing the procedure - its pretty simple, basically you need to toggle the disk between RO / RW
There is a script which I think (off the top of my head) is

$ sudo /root/mount_rw.bash
# you are now in RW mode

$ sudo /root/mount_ro.bash
# you are now back in RO mode

Additionally you should be aware, if you plan on installing packages etc, that the /etc and /var are RAM disks - so do not persist
The persistant data is held under
/etc_org
/var_org

The copy on write data is held under
/etc_rw
/var_rw

and of course the merged data is in the RAM disk under
/etc
/var

So if you make changes to either /etc /var, remember to save the changes into /etc_org /var_org
a simple double ended tar through a pipe is a good idea, eg (as root)
$ (cd /etc_rw; tar cvf - *) | (cd /etc_org; tar xvf -)

The neat thing about this disk, its very resiliant to powerouts because it is in a flushed RO state for nearly all the time.

--- Quote ---2. When a new version of the OGN-R software is released, does the upgrade happen automatically, or is it manual?
--- End quote ---
Its _almost_ there, you will notice a script to automate the loading of the new data (which also toggles RW described above)
what is not yet setup is a cronjob to do this automatically

--- Quote ---3. In the event of an upgrade, will the additions in (1) survive?
--- End quote ---
yes, if the procedure above has been followed - I use this all the time.

thx
Lee

PaulRuskin:
Lee - are you doing something that sets the hostname to ognpaw on startup?  If so, where?

(It's the first thing I tried to change, and I couldn't understand why it wasn't working).

Paul

Admin:

--- Quote from: PaulRuskin on January 18, 2018, 09:04:20 am ---Lee - are you doing something that sets the hostname to ognpaw on startup?  If so, where?

(It's the first thing I tried to change, and I couldn't understand why it wasn't working).

Paul

--- End quote ---

Hi Paul,
I had trouble changing the name previously and could not work out why.
I presume you are using the full installation image which uses the read only disk ?

Are you ensuring that after changing the hostname that you are saving the /etc files to /etc_org ?
(after making the disk RO -> RW -> RO)

Thx
Lee

PaulRuskin:
Yes, I'm doing all that.  It has changed in /etc_org.  Something seems to be writing to /etc/hostname on start up - so there's a different version in /etc_rw on the ram disk.

Of course, I had to choose that as the thing I tested my understanding of the R/W system on.  Very frustrating.

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version