Author Topic: ADSB Dongle and Error messages  (Read 5753 times)

PeterG

ADSB Dongle and Error messages
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:06 am »
I'm continuing to have problems picking up aircraft broadcasting on Mode C - I can usually pick up Mode S but over recent weeks not a sniff of a Mode C even when I catch and fly alongside a Mode C-equipped aircraft.

Today when I tried it, I see on the Home page that the ADS-B box is showing as red. I've checked that the ADS-B dongle is seated properly but the problem remains. Is this a hardware issue, do you think?

I've also been looking at some of the PAW messages under logging and see that I am getting line after line of

NAV-UDP : /var/lib/misc/udhcpd.leases Lease File updated.

Can you please explain what that means?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:15:35 pm by PeterG »

AlanG

Re: ADSB Dongle and Error messages
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:57 pm »
Hi Peter

Lee is the best person to answer this but I believe he may still be travelling abroad with limited time to be on the forum so I'll try my best.
Mode C is far and away the most difficult of the signals that PilotAware is trying to decypher.
Both Mode S and ADS-B have an element  of Mode C in their responses and Lee has to do some very fancy footwork in order to try to  filter these out in order to prevent multiple targets on screen and audio warnings being generated.  I am aware that there is currently some Beta Software being tested that may go some way to alleviating this but it does seem to be a continually moving feast to try to eliminate repeat info and just leave the pure Mode C to report to the nav system.

I can't help with the error codes i'm afraid but I hope this goes some way to answering your question.

Regards
Alan

PS
If i've got this all wrong I'm sure Lee will come in and slap me.   ;D

PPS
Also trying to deputise for the other Peter who has swanned off to India without a care for us freezing our chessnuts off here.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:15:56 pm by AlanG »

PeterG

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:48:36 pm »
Thanks for that.

I had a similar reply from Peter earlier. What does seem to have happened today is that the ADSB light did come on for a time, then went off  for the rest of the session.

It is beginning to look like an issue with the dongle, but I'll bow to superior knowledge

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:40:36 pm »
Hi Peter

With regard to the ADSB indicator light on the Home screen.  It should be Green at any time that the unit is receiving any messages of of any sort, Mode C/S/ADSB/Flarm/PAW, but does drop to red if there are no messages to receive for a period.  It does show along the row from the indicator how many messages have been received so this might let you know if it is working at all.  If you are in an area where there is plenty of transponder traffic I would expect it to be green most of the time and only periodically turn red if there is a zero following the + sign.
Are you referring to an airborne session today or was this indoors.  Remember that radio signals can be seriously attenuated by some types of glass etc.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:24:32 pm »
NAV-UDP : /var/lib/misc/udhcpd.leases Lease File updated.
Can you please explain what that means?

This indicates that the file listing the WiFi clients has been updated.
I did notice on an old kernel (I think 3.18xx) this seemed to be updated more frequently than hosts were added.
In itself this is not an issue, all it means is that the file needs to be re-read by PilotAware in order to decide where to send the UDP messages (ie to the connected devices)

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 07:27:26 pm »
Thanks for that.

I had a similar reply from Peter earlier. What does seem to have happened today is that the ADSB light did come on for a time, then went off  for the rest of the session.

It is beginning to look like an issue with the dongle, but I'll bow to superior knowledge

If the Dongle was faulty, you would get no traffic - rather than some traffic

If there is an antenna issue (wiring or placement) that could produce an intermittant effect
If there is a poor connection on the USB, that could also produce an intermittant effect.

Can you describe the following
1. the test environment, indoors, outdoors, in the air, etc ....
2. Traffic page, do you have many contents listed ?

I suggest you post the following pages to give us some indication
- Home Page
- Traffic Page

Thx
Lee

Torkie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:49:18 pm »
Hello - Re-Post as last one failed.

I wonder if anyone can offer me advice? I am running Pilot Aware with the latest update and have just updated my licence key. I run it on an iPad 2 and have had a few issues of dropping out, but this isn't the norm going off the other forums.

Went flying on Weds and wouldn't connect. Came home on Thurs and worked flawlessly. I live 8KM from the approach to Manchester R23 and it was singing like a bird.

Tries again today and nothing. Connects, but only for GPS use, no contacts. I have tried everything on the forum, re-entering, rebooting and so on.

Is there a way to run a diagnostic or send the unit for checking please?

Below is the current text in the home screen.

Kind regards

Andy Torkington

PilotAware Version(20170721) License Expires(20181203)
_   ________Interface________   ______________________Status______________________
   HOSTID   B827EBBC8CB8
   PLATFORM   Model B Pi 2, kernel=4.1.19-v7+
   DATE   Wed Dec 6 12:37:22 2017
   ETH0-IP/GW   / 0.0.0.0
   WLAN0-IP   192.168.1.1
   UPTIME   12:37:22 up 0 days 00:01, Load 0.77:0.33:0.12, cpu_temp=32.6'C
   CLIENTS   Connected WiFi=2 TCP=0
   ADS-B (DVB-T)   Unavailable Msgs=0(+0)
   TRX (RXTX)   Connected TX=21 RX=0 CRCFAIL=0
   Pressure Altitude (BMP)   Connected (Auto) QNH=1021mb QNE=57ft GNSS=285ft
   GPS   USB Msgs=349(+45) Fix="GPS fix (SPS)" Mode="3D" Satellites=8
   USB 1d6b:0002   Linux 4.1.19-v7+ dwc_otg_hcd DWC OTG Controller
   USB 1546:01a7   u-blox AG - www.u-blox.com u-blox 7 - GPS/GNSS Receiver
   USB 148f:5370   Ralink 802.11 n WLAN

Admin

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:40:29 pm »
Hi

two things to note here

Code: [Select]
UPTIME   12:37:22 up 0 days 00:01, Load 0.77:0.33:0.12, cpu_temp=32.6'CThe first thing to note here, looks like it had not been running for too long - reporting 1 minute, is this correct ?

Code: [Select]
ADS-B (DVB-T)   Unavailable Msgs=0(+0)No ADS-B Messages whatsoever, I presume there was also a RED indicator next to this line.
This would probably indicate a possible fault with the Dongle or Antenna.

Having said that, insufficient power can yield these types of issues as well, can you post an exact reference to the power source you are using (Manufacturer, Model) ?

Thx
Lee

Torkie

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:58:56 pm »
Hello Lee and thanks for the prompt response. I had it running from 0930-1100 and still nothing. I booted it back up to try it again and send the screen shot. Time will be correct, but so is the response.

You are right Re red box next to the ADSB.

I have an Anker power unit. It’s the exact one you recommend and I use the leads supplied with the unit.

As I have the same result on iPhone, I’d agree that the dongle may be the issue. Can you point me in the right direction for getting another one? I’ll have to try something to get it going. As I said, yesterday was flawless all day?

Regards

Andy

TonyP

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 07:09:37 pm »
Hi, adding to this thread rather than starting a new one, as I have the same issue (no ADSB signal - red box, "Unavailable" and ) msgs shown).

Is it possible to test the dongle to check if it is the problem, or should I just try a new one?

And if the answer is try a new one, what is the best source of this?

Thanks

Anthony.

Torkie

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 08:40:25 pm »
TonyP

I contacted PilotAware and they sent me a new single which has worked flawlessly ever since. In my case, it was certainly the issue. They are extremely helpful and I’ll assist you in any way that they can. Is your unit still within warranty?

TonyP

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 04:23:42 pm »
Thanks Torkie. Ours is out of warranty but I've ordered a replacement from PAW (who, as you say, are very helpful) for £8 including postage, so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Torkie

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 05:15:38 pm »
I am certain this will rectify the issue.
All the best.
Torkie