Author Topic: Lenovo Tab3 7 connection problem  (Read 20200 times)

Ian Melville

Re: Lenovo Tab3 7 connection problem
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 06:51:57 pm »
It's not 100% proven yet. But indications are that the iPhones are jamming the PAW signals to the other devices. The issue is intermittent so is taking me a while to prove 100%.

Try setting the iPhone to Airplane Mode. If you need to use it for the PAW, just turn on Wi-Fi after setting Airplane Mode. I would do this on your iPad as well.

Let me know if that does make a difference?

Cheers
Ian

Vic

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 07:14:06 pm »
I can eliminate Iphones as being the cause of the problem as far as I am concerned as we do not have such a device in the house!  :-X

Ian Melville

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 09:22:34 pm »
Do you have any phone with you in flight?

Vic

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 10:47:56 pm »
Not one that isn't in airplane mode.

For me this has only manifested in the latest release of pilotaware software.

Ian Melville

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 11:23:47 pm »
OK, perhaps that is not the issue in your case. Still working on other possibilities.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 02:26:33 pm »
Was the latest release of the PilotAware software the one which put in some routing thingie?

Colenso

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2018, 03:29:29 pm »
UPDATE

Flew for 1 hour today. I had both the Lenovo and iPad connected to PAW. Lenovo using FLARM, iPad using Pilotaware. My iPhone was switched to Flight mode. Both tablets running SD.
On Climb out the Lenovo disconnected, (with accompanying screen message), and I only managed to reconnect it about 10 minutes later. Thereafter it worked fine and I had no 'connection lost' messages on the screen. The iPad appeared to work fine and displayed no connection messages on the screen throughout the flight. (or at least I didn't notice any!).
On examining the virtual radar log on both tablets there are however several times when connection was lost. I attach screen shots of both tablets. Any advice or help would be appreciated and as usual thanks for the assistance so far.

Colenso

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 11:59:32 am »
I decided to leave the Lenovo on the ground when I flew yesterday and had no problems whatsoever using an iPad and a friends ASUS tablet. Both had no disconnection problems at all and PAW performed flawlessly.

I have now abandoned using the Lenovo.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 03:56:56 pm »
You could always experiment with the Lenovo, trying various Wifi settings or Wifi connection apps and so on to see if there's any way around the problem. It might help other Lenovo users.

It might end up helping others with Wifi connection problems.

Ian Melville

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 07:03:36 am »
I have been using a Lenovo Tab7 since just before Christmas for testing and have had no issues with it. Mine is the cheapest model without 3G. Aparts from screen size I cannot imagine there is much difference between the the Tab7 and Tab10.

Colenso

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 03:41:29 pm »
Unfortunately I've now sold the Lenovo so cannot carry out any more tests to resolve the problem.

Just for interest the model I had was:

Lenovo Tab3 7, model number: TB3-730F 2GB + 16GB.

The mini iPad is working fine and I'm grateful to all who tried to help me with this problem.

Ian Melville

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
Mine is a TB-7304F Tab 1G + 16G, no connection issues with it and SD/PAW Perhaps you had a duff tablet?

At least you sorted now.

Vic

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 06:33:45 pm »
Mine still plays up (Tab 3-8)  :(  I'm going to do a full factory reset at some point and see if that resolves it. So back to the 2012 Nexus 7 for now which is rock solid.

I've read on a forum also if you don't register it with Lenovo when you first set it up (I didn't) you don't get full functionality which probably explains lack of auto screen brightness and internal GPS without fiddling about!  Maybe it messes with WiFi trying to prioritise something else?

I notice though, that there are several threads on here with 'Pilotaware' mode WIFi disconnect issues that could all be connected with the latest release?

Vic

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 02:59:19 pm »
Fixed it!!

After loads more diagnotsics including the latest firmware update, buying a new WiFi Dongle and messing around with Wireless settings I focussed my attention on the fact it MUST be the tablet at fault (Mine is a TAB3 8/TB3-850F), something was clearly getting in the way of the data stream coming into the tablet.

I noticed, hidden amongst the list of system apps, was Macafee, (my most loathed of antivirus/firewall packages). Running at this level it couldn't be stopped or uninstalled or any settings changed.

So, taking the bit between my teeth, I boot unlocked and rooted the  tablet following the instructions HERE for anyone who may care to try them in the future.  Anyone attempting this, it's not for the faint hearted if you haven't done such before, will completely wipe and reset your device to factory settings also and you run the risk of bricking the device altogether if you don't follow the steps correctly or do it on a tablet that isn't exactly the same.

The result was that I was now able to uninstall Macafee.  Finally, the disconnections have gone away completely. I have had my tablet running with Skydemon connected flawlessley to the Pilotaware for four hours now and the moving of ADSB targets is noticeably  MUCH smoother than it was before.

I cannot be 100% certain that removing Macafee  or the Rooting is the actual cause of the fix as I was too keen to see if I could get rid of the piece of #### that I forgot to do any testing before!  I highly suspect some form of software firewall was being too aggressive getting in the way of both UDP and TCP traffic.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:05:08 pm by Vic »

Admin

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 03:04:33 pm »
Hi Vic

Whoaa, a serious Android power user - well done
Just to check did you mis type the following ?

...The result was that I was unable to uninstall Macafee....

did you mean to say
...The result was that I was able to uninstall Macafee....

I have to say I am much relieved this was un-related to PilotAware, if your findings prove to be the case
Thx
Lee