Author Topic: SOLVED: Sky Demon - connectivity screen query  (Read 5515 times)

Gary Nelson

SOLVED: Sky Demon - connectivity screen query
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:19:21 am »
The Pilot Aware manual states Sky Demon should be set to "Live Data When Planning". I see Sky Demon also has the option "Live Data When Planning And Flying"

Does it matter which one to choose and what is the difference?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:00:08 pm by Admin »

Ian Melville

Re: Sky Demon - connectivity screen query
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:55 am »
Yes there is a big difference, if you use live data when planning and flying, you are very likely to get pop-up messages saying that SD could not connect to the Internet (or works to that effect), while you are in flight. Very annoying to have to keep cancelling the error messages, and takes focus away from the job you should be doing.  Of course that would depend  on how good your 3G signal is at altitude.

tnowak

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:04:53 am »
From my experience I was only getting the "internet lost" pop-up every 30 mins or so, so not that annoying.
With data on it is good to see realtime updates of new TAF/METAR reports.
Perhaps not really an issue for me as normally cruising at 1500-2000 ft?
Tony

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:30:43 pm »
Tony,

That’s fine if you have a 3/4G pad with a good network connection, but if it’s a WiFi only pad it can continuously try to connect to SkyDemon’s servers - especially if it is expecting updates, which becomes a real pain, hence the advice to ‘normally’ run on ‘Live Data When Planning’ so you get all your chart, weather and notam updates before you leave the clubhouse. Even if your pad is 3/4G, you will still get periodic dropouts as you are experiencing.

Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:44:20 am »
Ah, yes! I use a Samsung 3G smartphone for SD so haven't experienced that particular issue.
Tony

T67M

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »
Even in "Live data when planning" mode, for some obscure reason, SkyDemon doesn't stop trying to phone home when you press "go flying" but waits until takeoff, usually resulting in at least one irritating error message during taxi.

kevinD

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »
Not sure this is the right place to post but here goes. Recently prompted Pilot aware coming to an end so purchased a further 12 months to run until 4/12/18. I didn't put the code in as its not due yet but got the message shown in the screen shot (ah it wouldn't let me post the whole screen shot and when I cut it down it says it's the wrong type of file) so I put the code in and get the same message. The message reads " NO DATA HAS BEEN RECEIVED FROM YOUR GPS DEVICE FOR SOME TIME, AND THE CONNECTION IS THEREFORE LOST. CHECK YOUR DEVICE SETTINGS TO ENSURE CONNECTIVITY AND TRY AGAIN" I'm not tech savvy so most of what I read on here and the installation guides is a foreign language. I bet it's a simple fix but I am at a loss.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »
Hi Kevin,

This is what SkyDemon does when it loses data feed from PilotAware, but there can be several reasons.

You say you have just renewed your PAW licence and have now put the new code in (and hopefully clicked 'Save' at the bottom of the Configure Screen).

Can you connect to your PilotAware Wifi? If so, when you connect to the PilotAware Home Screen via 192.168.1.1, what does the GPS line show? Red or Green, any 'Fix' and How many satellites?

What software version and license expiry date is your unit indicating?

What display device are you using?

Regards

Peter

kevinD

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »
Pilot aware wifi connected. on 192.168.1.1 PilotAware version 20161124 GPS line green, Fix="GPS fix (SPS)"   Satellites = 7.

Licence Expires (20181204)

Ipad mini 1
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:35:33 pm by kevinD »

kevinD

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:49:26 pm »
Ah Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for soft ware versions before 20170619 click FLARM. now it connects.

Thanks Peter, you got me thinking a bit deeper. What I dont understand is that if there are soft ware versions newer than the one I have why doe it show nothing if I check for updates
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:52:03 pm by kevinD »

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 06:47:16 pm »
Kevin,

Remember PilotAware is not connected to the internet. Before clicking on ‘Check for Updates’ you need to provide the update or a direct internet link to it  There are several ways to do this, but as you are running 20161124, the quickest / easiest is to download the update from the internet using a separate internet connected PC or laptop and transfer it to PAW via a USB memory stick.

You first need to obtain the latest software update from www.pilotaware.lode.co.uk via the PC or Laptop. This will download a file called ‘pilotaware.pgp’. Note if your computer is set to hide file extensions for known file types, you won’t see the .pgp bit (the file extension), though it will be there. DO NOT alter the file name in any way.

You now need to copy this file onto a USB memory stick, keeping it at the top (root) level - which just means don’t put it inside a folder. Now power up your PilotAware, connect to 192.168.1.1, THEN insert the memory stick into the spare USB port on your PilotAware while the unit is running.

Now go to the Updates’ tab, click on ‘Check for Updates’, a short program will run and the latest update details will appear from the memory stick (should be 20170721) with a live ‘Install’ button. Click this and your unit will install the update from the memory stick. This takes a few minutes and includes an auto restart. Wait until the unit has restarted and you can see and log back onto the PAW WiFi, then log back into your Home Screen ( you may need to re-enter 192,168.1.1 as the process will have added / install.cgi to the old URL). Make sure it now shows the new update Version (20170821). You can now remove the USB stick without powering the unit down.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:59:35 pm by exfirepro »

kevinD

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 07:11:46 am »
Hi Peter.

I was using a tablet with a 4G card so thought it was looking at internet as well. Thanks for the advice which I will act on tomorrow, today is a Safety presentation at North Weald that will feature PilotAware.

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:55 am »
Hi Kevin,

Above sounds complicated but once you get your head round it next time is a doddle. You can also use the same ‘pgp’ to update any other PAW as long as it has software version 20160820 (which added the USB stick reader) or later. Handy for impressing your mates at the airfield and helps keep their units up to date too  ;)

A word of caution though, you MUST delete the ‘current pgp’ from your stick before you copy the next new one on when the time comes, or your PC/laptop will automatically rename the new file (then PilotAware can’t find it).

Enjoy your safety talk - always worthwhile in my experience.

Regards

Peter
p.s. I’m off to India tomorrow for a couple of weeks, but will try to keep up with the Forum, so do post to let me know how things go.

kevinD

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 11:19:40 am »
Thanks Peter you've been a great help. Following on from yesterday's safety talk at North Weald I think there might be one or two more users in the near future.

Enjoy India, I love it there.

Kevin