Author Topic: ADS-B out and Trig TT21  (Read 4978 times)

erol

ADS-B out and Trig TT21
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:27:54 pm »
Hi all.

Can anyone offer advice with wiring the Farnell usb cable to the Trig 21. My transponder came with a pre-wired loom and the GPS input cable is labelled. I have connected this cable to the farnell usb orange wire and the black wire to aircraft ground. I have also connected the screen around the trig gps input cable to ground also.
The Farnell usb connector lights up when power is connected but I am not getting any gps data to the trig unit.

It has the latest software.
I have set the gps input to NMEA 0183.
However, I can't see where to change the data settings SIL or SDA as these are not in the set up menu.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Admin

Re: ADS-B out and Trig TT21
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:37 pm »
I think I can answer this one  ;D

For most Transponders I understand the SIL/SDA is hardwired into the firmware of the product itself, this was why a number of transponders needed to be returned for firmware upgrades.
Happy to be disproved, so lets wait and see if anyone else posts

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:31:15 pm »
Hi erol,

I take it you have set the relevant PilotAware USB port (Port 1 if you have connected to top left) to ‘Transponder Trig’ and set the port to the correct Baud rate (both on the PAW ‘Configure’ screen)? Just checked my TY21 install manual - pretty sure mine runs on 9,600 bps.

There is a certification level setting in the TT21 Setup. It comes after the Baud rate setting (which obviously has to match the PAW setting, i.e. 9600 Baud). From what I read, the TT21 probably needs the GPS certification level set to ‘D’, or whatever the highest available letter is, though I’d have to check my unit to be sure.

By the way the setting for 1090 MHz receiver installed in the Trig should be set to ‘NO’, (your PAW doesn’t count).

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:47:24 pm by exfirepro »

erol

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:51:43 pm »
Hi,

No I didn't set the USB port up, I will try this next, I wasn't aware I had to do this.
My Baud rate is set to 4800, so will change this also. Do you change the GPS certification level in the pilotaware configure screen, as well as setting the type on the trig unit?

This info is really helpful, thank you very much for such a fast response.
I will let you know how it goes.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:47:59 am »
Hi,

No I didn't set the USB port up, I will try this next, I wasn't aware I had to do this.
My Baud rate is set to 4800, so will change this also. Do you change the GPS certification level in the pilotaware configure screen, as well as setting the type on the trig unit?

No, only setting for certification level is in the Trig. See here also re PAW USB port numbering, just in case there is any confusion.

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,924.msg11336.html#msg11336

Once you set up the port all should be go.

Regards

Peter

Giver

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 02:21:17 pm »
you don't say what your GPS unit is? but if that i configurable that should also be set to 9600 baud rate,
I have used the remote PAW GPS plugged into the USB socket and that works fine on 9600

erol

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 08:37:58 pm »
Hi Chaps,

As advised, I have configured USB port 1 to Trig transponder and set Baud rate to 9600, everything is now working great.
A big thank you for everyones input on this, much appreciated.

Erol.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:06:25 pm »
Well done erol,

I have seen this before a couple of times with other people’s installations which always makes ‘fault finding’ much easier. Glad you have got it all sorted.

Regards

Peter