Author Topic: OGN satations  (Read 4972 times)

Richard

OGN satations
« on: October 31, 2017, 12:24:03 pm »
     I may have missed something, so just a quick Question to answer someones inquiry.

Does a OGN Ground station setup with PAW receive a transmission from an aircraft with PAW?
Richard.
Europa XS

Ian Melville

Re: OGN satations
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:26:57 pm »
Yes it does. Until it get a PAW contact it will not transmit the FLARM glider positions.

Richard

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 12:34:06 pm »
Ian Thank You.  I should have posted the whole question I have received Sorry here it is But I think its the same answer

" Regarding PilotAware Uplink I have got confused. This is how I thought it worked

Our colinear antenna receives the weak 868.3 MHz signals from the flarm aircraft and then re-transmits the information on 869.5 MHz using the PAW antenna.(as well as sending the information to the OGN servers)

I did not think it also received signals from PAW aircraft

I should be very grateful if you could explain"

Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

Re: OGN Stations
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »
Richard,

The OGN installation receives 868MHz FLARM or OGN Tracker signals via its OGN antenna and sends them on to the OGN servers, just the same as they always did. After upgrading to OGN-R, if there are any PilotAware equipped aircraft within range, and their signals are received by the PilotAware OGN-R antenna, the software causes the unit to 'Rebroadcast' any 'live' local 'OGN' data on 869.5MHz via the same PilotAware OGN-R antenna. This data can then be received and processed by any local PilotAware equipped aircraft and displayed on their Nav Display(s).

Received P3i data is also 'collected' from the PAW equipped aircraft and transferred to the OGN servers, so will appear on 'spot the gliders' or my preferred option www.glidertracker.org which allows Glider Bases to be aware of any such traffic. Gliders will only receive the PAW traffic if PAW equipped (and I know of quite a few which now are).

A recent screen grab from a very busy Milfield (taken while still over 10 miles out) is attached. I was inbound to land to check up on the new installation. Don't worry, the 'mass' of signals opens out as you get closer as the Nav system zooms in for landing. If merely 'passing', however, I would strongly suggest routing well clear of such a group - oh and keep a very good lookout for other aircraft doing the same thing.

(My aircraft, by the way, is also FLARM equipped in its own right, though this had no influence whatsoever on the display in this case).

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:12:04 pm by exfirepro »

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:02:39 pm »
Hi Richard
I would love to get an antenna at Sherbourne on Elnet. Perhaps it’s time for another PilotAware Clu night presentation

Keith

Richard

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:19:17 pm »
Hi Keith
     Yes I would love to get a PAW OGN at Sherburn too. I will have a chat with Richard Maxted to see if we can organise another presentation.  They have a 50” screen at the flight desk and a screen in the club canteen/bar. I think it would be great to to see live local traffic display on them. Is it something you are working on at the moment?
Richard.
Europa XS

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:38:13 pm »
Hi Keith
     Yes I would love to get a PAW OGN at Sherburn too. I will have a chat with Richard Maxted to see if we can organise another presentation.  They have a 50” screen at the flight desk and a screen in the club canteen/bar. I think it would be great to to see live local traffic display on them. Is it something you are working on at the moment?

Hi Richard

Yes this is something that we are actively working on. So that the control tower can see all classes of aircraft. PAW Adsb gliders etc
Please have a word with Richard Sherbourne would be a great place to complement the current sites at burn pocklington Linton topcliffe and soon Sutton Bank

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:44:37 am »
Keith / Richard,

Sherburn-in-Elmet is one of my favourite airfields. Do-able as a day trip from East Fortune and a great place for a snack/refuelling/comfort break for my longer trips. Plenty of activity too, so would definitely benefit from PAW OGN-R. It's such a friendly place Alan and I might even fly down for your talk night!

Best Regards

Peter