Author Topic: Ads-b adaptor issues  (Read 4447 times)

Shortwing

Ads-b adaptor issues
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »
So I have three of the small adaptors, the one on the known good hardware list, I have tried all three and my PAW won't pick up any traffic.  It shows RED in the admin page.

Anyone else have experiences of the same?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:57:37 pm by Shortwing »

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: Ads-b adaptor issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
Could do with your status page uploaded but in the meantime.
Have you set Altitude or Levels to maximum to ensure you can pick up just about anything.
Check what Software level you have.
ADS-B is very prominent on PA so its a little odd you have no traffic.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 09:11:30 pm »
Shortwing,

Can you post screen grabs of your Home and Configure Pages please.

Regards

Peter

Shortwing

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:32:15 am »
Please see attached.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:36:47 am »
Hi Shortwing

That is very weird.

Firstly, the Traffic page is showing a Mode CS Transponder with Hex 000000 and Reg 000000
Secondly the Home page is showing 1072 received messages in total, but non in the last 5 seconds (+0)

can I ask that you also post your configure page ?

And finally, you mentioned you have tried 3 RTL-SDR dongles, is this a self build, or PilotAware Classic.
If a self build, can you provide some reference to the RTL-SDR dongles used.

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:46:06 am »
Lee,

Just noticed your post. I nearly got caught out and was about to post 'basic' advice then remembered Shortwing is one of the early homebuilders which is why he is swapping dongles off eBay. This is a strange one!

We are obviously thinking along the same lines so I will post what I have already typed on the basis that it might also help others.

Shortwing,

You say you
...have three of the small adaptors, the one on the known good hardware list, I have tried all three and my PAW won't pick up any traffic.  It shows RED in the admin page

Your Home screenshot shows that you had a good GPS fix and that your P3i transmitter is working (TX=1300), but no PilotAwares received (RX=0) since you powered up (00:40 minutes ago). You must have received ADSB traffic at some point in those 40 minutes - viz. ADSB DVB-T 'Connected.(Msgs=1072), but no recent ones (+0) in I the last 5 seconds - which is why the ADSB symbol has gone back to red. This home screen would be 'normal' for a unit sitting away from traffic, e.g. indoors or inside a hangar (or in my living room at 2am), but you have been at this game long enough and will have tested it outdoors (I note the screenshot was taken Sunday afternoon), so we need to dig a bit deeper.

Your Traffic Screenshot BTW seems to show only a Mode S transponder but weirdly with no Hex ID or SIGnal strength. Any idea why? Did you test in the plane?

Edit [Aside to Lee - wondered if this could be a report of a 'short squitter', but didn't think PAW reports those. If it was, would it not show the Hex? Not something I have ever seen before]

There could be an issue with the SDR dongles. Checking the link from the 'Known Good Hardware List' I notice that the seller has ended the listing because...'there is an error in the listing'. He doesn't say what the error was, but as you will be aware, in the early days we found that some units advertised as Realtek RTL2832U didn't have the correct R820T Tuner chip in them and wouldn't work, hence why we started the 'Known Good Hardware List' in the first place. We of course have no control over where the sellers source their supplies. This may of course not be the issue.

Steps to try:-

If you haven"t already done so, try a different antenna, or a length of thin wire carefully pushed into the centre only of the connector on the SDR dongle (even a short length such as a straightened paper clip should allow your unit to see CAT ADSB out in the open if they are around). We have had a couple of recent cases where the fault was in the antenna lead or inside the base, not the dongle.

Not sure your Configure Screen will help, but worth posting it anyway so we can see your settings and also anything else that appears on your Traffic Screen.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:05:48 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:54:42 am »
Hi Shortwing (and Peter)

One other thought, the logging page will also report if it is having issues with the ADS-B reception such as rebooting the ADS-B,
this page scrolls, so you may need to monitor for a couple of minutes to see if it gives an indication

thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:32 am »
Lee,

While you were typing, I just added an edit above...

[Aside to Lee - wondered if this could be a report of a 'short squitter', but didn't think PAW reports those. If it was, would it not show the Hex? Not something I have ever seen before]

Just a thought. Is it possible?

Peter

Shortwing

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 05:39:46 pm »
Quick reply guys.

The thee dongles are all the known good hardware items. The small form factor items.

I have a second PI with an expired license I could try the dongles on but I’m away till the weekend. I thought this was weird being all there but the results you see are the same regardless of which dongle. I’d be surprised if all three failed, one came from another seller but was the same items.

It has worked flawlessly until this Sunday, post clocks changing, silly idea but not a device time issue?

By way of config I can post on Saturday, but I Downloaded the latest version and clean installed and those screenshots are based on the standard config.

I’m very confused by this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:42:00 pm by Shortwing »

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 06:07:46 pm »
Shortwing,

You're not the only one that's very confused. Presumably you haven't tried changing your antenna? If not that is the common factor and as I said earlier, we have had a couple of failures usually to do with bad cable terminations, so worth checking.

The config / log files might throw up something, especially if you've just done a full update. Much more likely than the clocks going back 🙁

Regards

Peter

Shortwing

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:10 pm »
Thanks Peter

I’m away till Saturday so can’t do much to then, but I tried swapping dongles and aerials, as I said I have three of the same dongles and aerials so tried that idea.

I only reloaded the software as a last resort because I had become so frustrated by it.

I’ll start it up Saturday and film it running shortly and screenshot it.  I’ll try it for all three dongles and all three aerials and try the improvised aerial suggestion in your post and report back.

I have in the interim brought another dongle off eBay which should be at home when I get back Saturday.

Cheers

Shortwing

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:18 am »
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

So three dongles, 2 broken aerials, and one dongle being slightly bent, slightest movement meant it was losing its USB connection, likely because its so tight against the wifi dongle.

Once i'd eliminated the aerials and then the dongles I have one out of three.

Anyway all working fine here, but the screenshot I posted earlier was with the good aerial.