Author Topic: Swamping aerial signal  (Read 2601 times)

Gary Nelson

Swamping aerial signal
« on: October 24, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »
Are there any mimimum distances you really want to place  the P3i aerial and the ADSB aerial from an existing transponder aerial (obviously the more distance the better) and which one is more critical to keep away from the existing transponder aerial?

exfirepro

Re: Swamping aerial signal
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:31:43 am »
Hi Gaz,

As your  transponder is pumping out power on 1090MHz, this will have the most significant effect at close range on the ADSB side of PAW (same frequency). Effects can range from desensitising the receiver - effectively blocking reception of other aircraft (though this is 'unlikely' as transponder transmissions are short pulses rather than continuous transmissions) to at very close range, potentially damaging the receiver. These effects are normally easily avoided by antenna separation.

Due to the frequency difference, the effect on the P3i side will be far less significant, though again at very close range, some desensitisation might still occur, so best to keep them apart, preferably by at least one 'wavelength' - somewhere about 275mm minimum in theory (rough calculation before the pedants get on my case) though generally the more distance between transmitting and receiving antennas the better. You have to balance this against increasing losses in longer lengths of coax cable, however.

The most important point to consider is clear view of approaching traffic - especially for the P3i antenna as this is working on much lower power levels than the 1090MHz side. If you haven't already done so, please read the documents on Permanent Installation and Antenna placement on the PAW website www.pilotaware.com

I got round the issue by fitting my transponder and antenna underneath and towards the rear of my (flexwing) aircraft with the other antennas at the front. Just to complicate matters I also run FLARM In/Out and sometimes also other test equipment on adjacent frequencies, but all generally get along fine, so don't get too hung up on it - just try to keep the 'low power / receive stuff' as far as practicable from your Transponder/ADSB transmit antenna and everything should be OK.

Regards

Peter

Gary Nelson

Re: Swamping aerial signal
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:42:52 am »
Thanks Peter - i think the P3i aerial will end up about 40cm away and the Ads-B about 75cm away so sounds ok and clearly more than the  27.5cm distance you refer to - but noted the further away (ignoring co-ax loss) the better

Gary