Author Topic: SkyDemon doesn't connect to my PilotAware unit on IOS or Android  (Read 4180 times)

Skydemon doesn't see my Pilotaware unit.  I am trying to establish the unit with my iPhone (iOS device)  and also an Alcatel One Touch Pop 7s (Android OS) each for for the first time

I have tried two approaches in the connectivity options setup menu in SkyDemon

1. Live Data when Planning + PilotAware.    This consistently generates an error message  "no data has been received from your GPS device for some time and the connection is therefore lost. Check your device settings to ensure connectivity then  try again". The  Pilotaware unit is in the open with a good power supply and a clear view of the sky and GPS dongle blinking green regularly.

2. Live Data when Planning + FLARM + Air Connect Key set to 6000.   This generates the error message 'Failure to establish a connection with the Butterfly Connect unit!

I contacted Keith Vinning on 28th September and had a helpful response via Lee Moore to double check Dongle line of sight.  I now have had the time to really try and crack this and so far no luck.  Lee asked me to attach a screenshot of the Pilotaware home page but I also get a consistent error message when trying to log in to 198.162.1.1 saying "Safari can't open the page 198.162.1.1 because the server where this page is located isn't responding" !  I do know that my subscription doesn't expire until December (don't ask why its taken so long to get around to trying to get things to work, that's another story).

grahambaker

Re: SkyDemon doesn't connect to my PilotAware unit on IOS or Android
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:47:36 pm »
Dumb question. Have you actually ensured that your device is connected to the PilotAware wifi network?

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »
Hi,

Seems very strange, so let's start at the beginning.

First, can you confirm that you can see your PilotAware on your device Settings /Wifi Page and that you can connect to the WiFi on at least one of your devices.

Next, you say....

Lee asked me to attach a screenshot of the Pilotaware home page but I also get a consistent error message when trying to log in to 198.162.1.1 saying "Safari can't open the page 198.162.1.1 because the server where this page is located isn't responding" !

Please check that you are using the correct URL (address). - it is 192.168.1.1 - NOT 198.162.1.1. This would be critical. You also need to make sure there is no 'extension' at the end of the URL.

Can you now get into the PilotAware Home Screen? If so, please confirm what version of PilotAware you are running - or post screen grabs of the Home and Configure Screens.

What version of SkyDemon are you running?  Let me know how you get on and we can take it from there.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:23:26 pm by exfirepro »

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:00 pm »
Hello Peter and Graham

1. There's no such thing as a dumb question! but yes my iPhone is connected to my PilotAware-B827EBFC562C WiFi hotspot

2. I made a mistake when transposing the web address for my post. I am indeed trying to connect to the correct 192.168.1.1 web address (see screen shot taken just now)

I am currently sitting with my PilotAware unit powered up, good view of the sky, GPS dongle blinking quite happily about 60Hz and the error messages remain the same!

Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
Hi Adhair

can you try

http://192.168.1.1

it may be being a bit pedantic.

Is that an iPhone screenshot, looks like a MAC ?

*edit*
On closer inspection, unless I am much mistaken I think that is a MAC, did you mean to do that ?
Is this connected to the PilotAware ?
I may be being a bit stupid, but what we need is the web browser from the device connected to pilotAware
browsing to the address :-
http://192.168.1.1

thx
Lee
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:24:00 pm by Admin »

grahambaker

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 06:00:09 am »
I was just about to make the same comment as Lee. It is definitely an OSX Safari browser in the screen shot, and the fact that that the next tab to the right appears to be showing this thread may be a bit of a clue!

Adhair - you'll need to connect your Mac to the PilotAware wifi hotspot as well if you want to display the home page; or use the browser on one of the connected mobile devices.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:47:56 am »
Adhair,

Looks like you are 'local', so I have sent you a PM with my contact details. Check your 'Messages' Tab above. Happy to meet up and help sort this out, just give me a call.

Regards

Peter

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 10:32:18 am »
Gentlemen

My sincere thanks to all for the prompt and helpful responses, and for your sharp eyes on my screenshots.  I was indeed connected to the PAW unit on my iPhone and then using my Mac to try and interrogate it while working on this page as well!  In the words of Homer Simpson "Duh!"

I am happy to report that logging in to 192.168.1.1 on the same device as connected to the PAW works fine.  Screenshot attached for your information.  My unit is now connecting and working on both iPhone and Android.  I need to use the FLARM settings (I had assumed clicking PilotAware in the connectivity was the obvious choice but that doesn't work).

As soon as the wind dies down up here I'll take it aloft and enjoy a better situational awareness than hitherto!

Thanks again.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:27:57 am »
Hi Adhair,

Glad to see you have fixed it - all looking good. I feel likewise on the weather - I had hoped East Fortune would be a bit less windy today - I had a couple of things I wanted to check out. Ah well, it looks like Friday will be my next 'best opportunity'.

The reason the 'PilotAware' connectivity option doesn't work by the way, is because it uses 'UDP' connectivity, rather than Flarm's 'TCP' and the relevant software technology was only incorporated into PilotAware relatively recently. The good news is that as yours is running a 'post 20160820' software version, you can update to the latest software fairly easily by USB stick - see Page 39 of the PilotAware Operating Instructions available here...

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/Latest-Operating-Instructions-.pdf

We advise always keeping your unit up to date with the latest software releases as this sorts any previously identified issues and brings additional benefits and all part of the very reasonable licensing deal. Let me know how you get on. Any issues, you now have my number.

Regards

Peter