Author Topic: Pop up "mode c"  (Read 3497 times)

AGP

Pop up "mode c"
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:46:34 pm »
I've started having a number of sudden alerts to a bearingless contact with a red circle and zero height difference. I'm assuming this is somehow picking up my own mode s although I set it up originally with my mode c data in the setup. I've never seen any contacts during this occurrence which happens several times in a 1 hour flight. Any idea as to what the cause is and how to fix it.

Admin

Re: Pop up "mode c"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:58 pm »
Thanks for posting

Can you show us the configure page of your pilotaware
Also, at what point when you are flying do you tend to see this ?
There is a reason for this question, which is trying to ascertain when the transponder is interrogated

AGP

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:12 pm »
Here's the screen shot of the configuration and I think I now know the problem. It looks to me as though when I installed the new licence I didn't realise that it didn't keep the data the same. I assume the flight I'd is my mode c code which I entered originally.
If that's the case please let me know and I'll put the mode c code in
Thanks,
Alan

AGP

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:32:03 pm »
I think I've got that wrong, I think that flight is is the reg and the mode c code is the hex code which is in

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 12:18:27 am »
AGP,

That's  almost correct. Flight ID for GA is your Aircraft Reg, however from your settings, the alerts are almost certainly from your own Mode S transponder for the following reason. The ICAO hex allows PAW to filter out 'pure' Mode S,  but Mode 'C' transponders don't transmit a Hex code. Consequently, when we introduced Mode C detection, we had to incorporate a separate filter to allow PAW to 'learn' which Mode C (i.e. Altitude) response comes from the PAW user's own Mode C aircraft. Unfortunately, Mode S transponders also transmit Mode C (altitude) data, so in order to filter this out you MUST run Mode CS Select on the 'Mode CS + Filter (Beta)' setting if you have a Mode C or Mode S transponder fitted. Switching to this setting should sort your problem.

BTW, I notice you are still running relatively old software - your unit would benefit from an upgrade to the latest software. If unsure how to do this, you should refer to the user manual on www.pilotaware.com . In your case, I would recommend update via USB stick as this is generally the quickest and easiest method for PAW units running software from or after Version 20160820 (which is the earliest version to incorporate a USB stick reader).

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:32:56 am by exfirepro »

AGP

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 12:41:29 am »
Thanks for all your help. I don't know why I've been referring to mode c when it's mode s. I think I should have kept taking the tablets😊

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:12:05 am »
Not a problem AGP.

'Own Mode C' alerts from Mode C or Mode S transponders was an issue until recently. Lee has significantly revamped the Mode C filter to counter this problem as part of ongoing improvement and development, which is why we always recommend keeping your PAW software as up to date as possible. Check the 'Licensing and Downloads' section for up to date info.

This won't of course prevent issues such as yours, or others I have come across recently due to different Hex addresses in PAW and the users' transponders, but once identified, these are easily sorted. You are not alone!

Best Regards

Peter

AGP

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 04:30:50 pm »
Thanks for all the help, I've now got the latest software.

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:34:50 pm »
Cheers Alan  :)

Peter